Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Significance of Stage 3 Sleep
Significance of Stage 3 Sleep
Interestingly, my sleep study shows I had exactly 0 Stage 3 sleep. I slept for 6.3 hours (approximately) with 2 cycles.

Significance?

Also, does anyone know what "stage shifts" are? I had 114. Do you jump around to different stages while you're sleeping, or do the stages happen consecutively, as in Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, and REM, and then start over?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Significance of Stage 3 Sleep
I also had zero stage 3 or REM sleep. I d0n't believe that is terribly unusual in sleep studies due to the conditions and environment of the testing. It's hardly typical of the normal sleep environment.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep study also noted that I did not progress past stage 2 during my test.  Dreams happen while we are in rem sleep and I did not realize that I was not dreaming any more.  I was amazed how much I started dreaming after starting cpap due to getting to deeper sleep stages.  I'm with Melman, you don't sleep well in the lab, but we don't sleep well with OSA either!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had two overnight in lab sleep studies. In the first one I had a very small amount of stage 3 sleep (1% of total sleep time I seem to recall), and about 20% REM sleep. Horrible sleep efficiency mainly due to Wake After Sleep Onset. (71%) Also 114 stage transitions, and a stage shift index of 20.4 ... which I suspect indicates that my sleep was pretty fragmented. No stage 3 during the second study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stage 3 and stage 4 sleep are very important because that is where the regenerative sleep occurs.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup. Checked my sleep study and a big zero for stage 3.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also had 0% SWS (S3/N3) on a sleep study + subsequent CPAP titration. It doesn't really mean anything, it turns out - just that your OSA is really bad in certain positions, and your body is very susceptible to arousal. Basically your [my] body will try to get SWS during roughly the first half of the night only (speaking in broad generality here, there are exceptions). As you pass this timeframe, your body will "give up" trying to get SWS and focus its efforts on getting stage REM sleep. Going back to the first half of the night, in order to get to SWS, you have to start in a light stage sleep and stay asleep long enough to transition into SWS. How long that transition takes depends on how much sleep debt you have (i.e. how sleep deprived you are). Now in my case, what happens is if I start to have respiratory events in light stage sleep, my body is essentially never able to reach SWS. According to a sleep endoscopy I did, the source of my OSA is isolated to tongue-base obstruction, which more-or-less only happens when I'm on my back, leading to complete obstruction. So when I do a sleep study and start by sleeping on my back, I am never able to enter SWS because I can't stay asleep long enough. Hence the 0% SWS. I use a Fitbit which uses heuristics to detect sleep stages and have confirmed these theories. I'm doing positional therapy at the moment and get plenty of SWS when I sleep on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,323 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 585 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.