Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone running SleepyHead on Mac?
Anyone running SleepyHead on Mac?
Lolabove

Have some questions. If so, which version of SH?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone running SleepyHead on Mac?
9.8-1
Post Reply Post Reply
I am trying to migrate to the Mac. I have 9.6 installed. When I went to upgrade to 9.8-1 it says it will migrate my records and there is no going back. Before doing so I wanted to know if it stable enough for everyday use or should I stay with 9.6., which seems to have some limitations compared to the PC version.

Don't know if it matters, but I'm running it on a new Macbook Air.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You should be able to make a backup copy of the folder with the data files before converting. SH will not change your SD card.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been running 9.8-1 since it came out without any problems. When I did the upgrade from 9.6 I had the SD card still in my BiPap machine and didn't care what the Mac did to the data. Once I got it installed and looked at the data, all was good. Upload from the SD card has gone without issue. Just be sure to lock the SD card so the Mac won't write to it.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the upgrade, no problems....yet anyway. The newer version took care of the problems I had noted in the earlier version.

So far, so good. Really like the software and greatly prefer it to ResScan.

Just getting used to the Mac. Been a Linux guy for the last decade and a half, but now trying to learn the Mac. A few bumps, but getting there.

Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 04:13 PM)SailingAway Wrote: Just getting used to the Mac. Been a Linux guy for the last decade and a half, but now trying to learn the Mac. A few bumps, but getting there.

Well I believe you can get to a command line shell and the underlying OS is very similar to Linux, being originally based on FreeBSD, with all the unix utilities you are used to.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ed,
The shell and linux commands are the easy part for me. Just figuring out the nuances of the OS X frontend are what are foreign to me. I think a lot of the linux base has now been removed and something called quartz has to be installed to get back a lot of the functionality it previously had.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 04:35 PM)SailingAway Wrote: Ed,
The shell and linux commands are the easy part for me. Just figuring out the nuances of the OS X frontend are what are foreign to me. I think a lot of the linux base has now been removed and something called quartz has to be installed to get back a lot of the functionality it previously had.

Makes sense. I've done my share of shell programming in various varieties of unix so I guess I know where you are coming from. Fortunately I also have a knack for understanding GUI front ends, so they don't bother me.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've run 9.6.1 and 9.8-1 a lot on a MacBook Air (late 2011 model) with no issues of any kind. Most server software in a pre-release mode is not this stable, so I think SH may have been written pretty well.

The caveat about remembering to lock the card may apply to some OS versions, but in my experience apparently not to 10.7 and 10.8. Data survives every day, and also survived an upgrade. You do not need to lock the card, so dealer's choice here is to believe me and not lock it, or be skeptical and lock it anyway, for no particular reason other than superstition.

The only time I ever lock the card is by accident, putting it back in the S9.

(02-19-2015, 04:35 PM)SailingAway Wrote: ...I think a lot of the linux base has now been removed and something called quartz has to be installed to get back a lot of the functionality it previously had.

Previously had what functionality?

I think quartz may be just the GUI layer on top of the underlying OS. That's where the transparent windows and other eye candy comes from, and quartz has always been a part of OS X, since birth. Linux was never a part of any Mac OS, which since ~2000 (OS X 10.0) has been neXt-ified FreeBSD on the Mach kernel. Apple was the most closed proprietary OS you could ever find in those days, and would never have been party to using any open-source code from linux. Very much like linux, however (imitation being a sincere form of flattery).

If you think being a Windows guy learning the Mac OS is frustrating, try doing that from the point of view of being a Mac guy learning the Windows OS.

Or try learning Widows 7 after years on XP; there is more difference between those two than between Windows and Mac. Both Windows and Mac have improved greatly since 2000 (Windows had a lot further to go), but every new Windows version is like spilling the silverware drawer; everything changes for no apparently reason. It's like moving Helen Keller's furniture when she is out for the day. All the tricks I learned for Server 2003 were trumped by an entire new set of tricks for Server 2008.

Mac OS X, on the other hand, even with the iOS-iffication of late, and even with its significant improvements, is still pretty much the same interface it was 15 years ago. They seem to understand the value of treading lightly when messing with the interface, and not just changing things willy-nilly based on how they felt on that particular day.

What will never be a bridge that is crossed is the CTRL-C (Windows) and APPLE-C, or "puppyfoot" (Mac) keyboard locations for the copy command; that screws me up constantly when shifting back and forth between platforms. That will always be annoying. Apple also changed the scroll direction on the trackpad to make it more like the iPad, so when I go to my old 2008 MacBook running 10.5, I always end up scrolling the wrong direction. Also annoying.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Spo2 Assistant to connect to a CMS50F Pulse Oximeter running on a Silicon Mac darral.freund 1 1,124 03-26-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Running 2 Oscar on same computer DanEm 8 723 01-20-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: DanEm
  Finally Got OSCAR Installed and Running! anderson5420 0 538 03-10-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: anderson5420
  ResScan 5.9 Running Problem Toby Tam 1 679 10-13-2020, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad Oscar kills the Ubuntu VM it is running in [solved: bug in VirtualBox, not OSCAR] fredex 1 1,231 12-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Last Post: fredex
  resScan 6.0.0.9799 [problem running on VM] grego1234 6 2,179 01-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  sleepyhead running on dell insiron 620/ microsoft 10 velpen 2 1,221 08-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Last Post: natyprueba

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.