Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone use baby bottle sterilizer to dry cpap eqpt?
Anyone use baby bottle sterilizer to dry cpap eqpt?
Looking for a good way to dry my cpap gear. I really like the hurricane but it is pretty pricy. Do baby bottle sanitizers have dryers on them that i could put my gear in? Maybe even the steam cleaning would be good for it too? Any thoughts? I have never used one and don't know if they would work or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone use baby bottle sterilizer to dry cpap eqpt?
Typically for myself, I would clean my PAP equipment sometime in the morning and let the parts air dry all day.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For some reason at the end of the day i still have water in the tube and nasal pillows
Post Reply Post Reply
I do the same as Dave...clean my stuff early morning, shake out real good, let air dry. Yes, sometimes there are water droplets in the tubing, but that's not a big deal. Once the Cpap is turned on, the few droplets dry quickly.

From my recollection with baby bottle sanitizers, the steam is directed inside the bottle, so it is fairly dry when done. I don't see that happening with an air hose. The steam would have no way to reach inside the tubing.

Just my opinion...
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have stated, air drying is quite adequate. I use Clorox wet wipes on my mask and cushion. The hose, mask swivel joint, and headgear, all get a good soaking / swishing in hot water and dish soap about every two weeks or so. 

My water reservoir gets emptied each & every morning and then wiped dry with a paper towel.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed has specific, validated reprocessing steps for different kinds of disinfection, including head disinfection. But they are not for everyday cleaning. They are for institutions who are going to give the mask to a different patient and they reduce the life cycle of the masks. Note that heat disinfection times are extremely specific about time vs. temperature, to give enough heat and time to sanitize, but but at the nominal needed level so that the mask will get less damage. Validated to 30 cycles.

Quote:"Using a hot water disinfection system, soak the disinfectable mask components using a temperature-time combination:
• AirFit F20 cushion/elbow/frame: 167°F (75°C) for 30 minutes; 176°F (80°C) for 10 minutes; 194°F (90°C) for 1 minute; 200°F (93°C) for 10 minutes
•Headgear: 167°F (75°C) for 30 minutes; 200°F (93°C) for 10 minutes"

https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf

(The times seem wonky, though. I have no idea why 176 degrees and 200 degrees would both be 10 minutes... )
Post Reply Post Reply
to dry, I simply run mask fit once or twice to blow out the tube and mask. adds a few minutes to the machine's run time but it amounts to only a few hours over its 5 year life. negligible in my opinion compared to the convenience. I wipe off the outside of the humidifier chamber before filling with water & inserting it back into the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a good idea, how long does a mask fit usually run for?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to generate flow through the equipment for drying, consider buying a Portable Quick-Fill Electric Air Mattress Pump for Pool Floats. These are cheap, generate a lot of flow, rechargeable and your tube will fit over the adapters. The truth is, I raresly wash tubing, and because I've been doing this a while, have multiple tubes. I can wash one, and hang it to dry while using another. There is really no need for any dryer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I wash my air hose, I hang it up afterwards and within an hour or two, it's dry. Not sure why some of you are having a difficult time getting it dry.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
Question [Health] REMPlenish water bottle dehansenching 4 2,014 06-02-2021, 05:34 PM
Last Post: dehansenching
  My Baby Thinks He’s a Train Wcwilson 3 1,771 10-22-2020, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to get a baby on nasal machine worthog 5 1,319 09-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Baby hid my filter brehenys 6 1,977 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Last Post: archangle
  baby steps...I actually slept! mzdawn74 14 4,020 07-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Last Post: kdmorris410

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.