Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
RE: Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
Davepap, you might want to start a new thread so people can take a closer look at your situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news: I got the ASV yesterday, brand new and shiny!
Thank you all for the support, it really made the difference.
Welcome in Davepap, I have tried to spell out my problem with the idea that it should help not only me. I hope you got some ideas from this discussion.
Anyway, it has been a bit stressful but educating experience.
Sleeprider, Sarcasticdave, and Domeo have been a great help so far, I think there is still more to discuss.
Dave your bet was correct down to 10!
I must say it is with confidence and pleasure that I put my mask on now.
However, I suspect that we can get better results with some finetuning.
I have some ideas but I will just show the interesting part of the chart and wait for your input ....
Have a good weekend!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Don't forget the obvious.[Image: bigwink.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
I just realized that my ASV was not set to "auto" by the technician.
Maybe I should learn to double-check this guy!
Any returns on my setting will be welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
When posting charts for your ASV be sure to include the pressure or mask pressure chart so we know how it is responding. The events you had on the first night are related to EPAP being too low, however we would get more insight from seeing the pressure charts. A lot of your problem will be resolved by changing to ASVauto mode, however, in addition to that, the PS range need to be 3.0 min to 15.0 max. Your tech only gave you 3.0-8.0 and that won't be enough to give you a breath when centrals occur. I suspect much of the hypopnea and perhaps apnea are the result of that error.

Change to ASV auto and revise PS min 3.0 and PS max 15.0. I suspect we will increase EPAP min to 6 or 7 but with PS being so low, it's hard to judge this first night of therapy. For what it's worth, don't let that tech ever put his hands on your machine again. It's pretty clear no one you're dealing with has any expertise or experience with this device or therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am so relieved and pleased that you've received an ASV machine. With help from Sleeprider and Dave, you'll soon be sleeping beautifully. I look forward to reading about your progress and continuing to learn from your experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd agree with Sleeprider on the edits. The tech has handcuffed your ASV a bit by limiting PS. Open it up to the PS default he mentioned and give it the ASV Auto mode. This makes EPAP a range and it'll be so much better, then actually EPAP PS and IPAP have ranges to seek out events. Ooh turn off the Ramp please. You'll thank me later.

And one last thing, blowback. If your ASV gives a hard blow when you drift off to sleep, oblige with a blow back, literal through the mask. If you get this blowback need...You'll know and remember.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the only ones who know how it works are you all!
There must be a load of CPAPers who get their installation without ANY follow up AR ALL.
I asked what is the reason for having them transmitted to central storage/surveillance:
"just for the money, to control/ensure usage" was the, at least honest, answer.

Anyway, I am getting tweaking under control. A little advice may do the rest..

I changed to autoasv and also changed the pressure setting, resulting in 2.5 AIH !!
High pressure turns me into a leaky rubber boat, I am on EPAP 6-8 , I will need to turn that up .. how much?
AI 4-1, same thing?
The RAMP is costing me apneas turned it down to 5 minutes. I know it should be zero but I still need to get used to the machine :-(

I include a detail of 1:37 1:41, what happened there?

[Image: coffee.gif]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That's a very busy machine. Explain how you got to PS min 4.0. I don't think you will need higher EPAP pressures. Your actual AHI is close to zero, and most of those hypopnea are coming out of ramp.

I can see some amplified breathing as you initially start therapy, and the flow rates and minute vent are quite high. This minute vent and respiration rate are being "learned" by the ASV to maintain therapy 90 seconds later, because it uses your baseline to set those parameters. The solution is to wait a minute or two before masking up, and let your respiration settle, before putting on the mask. That way your respiration is much more like the time before you drift off to sleep and you should get fewer wild spikes of minute vent and perhaps the hypopnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Correction
EPAP min = 6
AI min =4
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd almost say make EPAP min 4 or 5 just so you'd erase the Ramp completely. The ASV Auto would find and stop these Hypopnoea. Most of your events are sneaking in on the Ramp. As is, Ramp of 4 is not that far away from EPAP 6. In PSI, it's a fractional difference between 4 to 6 cmH2O.
4 cmH2O = 0.05689337333713944 PSI and
6 cmH2O = 0.08534006000570916 PSI.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 565 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.