Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any success sleeping in a recliner?
Any success sleeping in a recliner?
I move around a lot at night.  Last night my leak was 54%.  So I'd like to know if anyone has had success sleeping in a recliner.  That way my movements are limited.  I live in an 8x10 room, so I don't (literally and metaphorically) have any room for mistakes buying the wrong product.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any success sleeping in a recliner?
We have had members use recliners, and the biggest risk seems to be if the head drops toward the chest we see clusters of obstructive apnea. There are many reasons people resort to a recliner, but in general the feedback does not reflect better sleep. Maybe body pillows or shaping your mattress to confine movement?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 06:19 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We have had members use recliners, and the biggest risk seems to be if the head drops toward the chest we see clusters of obstructive apnea.  There are many reasons people resort to a recliner, but in general the feedback does not reflect better sleep.  Maybe body pillows or shaping your mattress to confine movement?

I have to sleep a very certain way.  On my left side (right shoulder can't bare weight) while clutching a large very firm pillow to hold my right shoulder in place to stop it from hyper extending.  I also wear a 'figure 8 brace' that keeps your shoulders back. 

Tonight I will sleep in my office chair and see if that helps.  I'm also going to wear a hat and use the adjustable strap to route the tube over my head.  New masks wont be here until next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Subjectivity aside, I have slept in my recliner a handful of times with mixed results. I usually woke up with muscle ache's and fairly uncomfortable.
I have an adjustable bed with a memory foam type of mattress and it helps a lot being able to adjust to any position. But it's a relatively expensive solution.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 06:24 PM)SorryIamNormal Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 06:19 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We have had members use recliners, and the biggest risk seems to be if the head drops toward the chest we see clusters of obstructive apnea.  There are many reasons people resort to a recliner, but in general the feedback does not reflect better sleep.  Maybe body pillows or shaping your mattress to confine movement?

I have to sleep a very certain way.  On my left side (right shoulder can't bare weight) while clutching a large very firm pillow to hold my right shoulder in place to stop it from hyper extending.  I also wear a 'figure 8 brace' that keeps your shoulders back. 

Tonight I will sleep in my office chair and see if that helps.  I'm also going to wear a hat and use the adjustable strap to route the tube over my head.  New masks wont be here until next week.
I truly wish you the best on your therapy.  You have been a real trooper and have demonstrated a level of perseverance that is not seen very often.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I have thought often about trying sleeping in the recliner as I have apneas when I sleep flat on my back, as a side sleeper my hips gets sore. I have read that say 200 years ago many people slept in reclining chairs and common sailors on ship slept slumped across a strung rope. Doesnt sound too comfortable to me.

We are in for a bad night tonight, no air con in the bedroom and it is going to be around 95 deg F, outside at the moment its 45 deg c (113 deg F) same for the next day or so.
Australia is on fire, 100s of bush fires , many out of control, fish in the sea are dying because of sea temperatures.

.I hope you can find a solution and let us know how it goes
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to sleep in the power lift recliner for several months after fracturing several lumbar vertebrae earlier this year. I did use my ASV, but I can't say it was an ideal situation for sleeping. I did it because I had to in order to sleep at all. A bed wasn't even accessible at that time. It wasn't my preferred sleep choice. I'd look at recliner sleep as a band aid, it's a temporary measure where there could be better choices to remedy the situation.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know a person who sleeps in a recliner every night. I could never do it. I had to do it after sinus surgery many years ago and I hated it.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2019, 08:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I know a person who sleeps in a recliner every night. I could never do it. I had to do it after sinus surgery many years ago and I hated it.

I can top that.  I had to sleep, at a 90 degree angle, for 25 days with no cpap.  I didn't have a cervical colar so I tied a towel around my neck to stop my head from falling forward.  Long story short the ENT dr said 'you can't use it'.  Gave no rational, offered no plan, but he did try to sell me the Inspire implant twice.  I've already drawn my own conclusion on him.  In my opinion they wanted me to be so miserable that I would give in and the dr could get his 100k sale (cost of the implant).   

I found a meta analysis on PubMed where most ENT drs wait 1-2 weeks.  So I waited 25 days and put myself back on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I nap on and off in my recliner every now & then. But.....I can't even imagine trying to sleep thru the night in one.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,624 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,023 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 983 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.