Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea’s increase when sleeping on back?
Apnea’s increase when sleeping on back?
I injured my shoulders a month ago and can no longer sleep on my sides as usual. Now when I sleep on my back my apnea’s have shown a large increase in frequency. I had been averaging at 2 or below, not they are at 5 or more, last night 12. Do I need to increase my pressures? Any advice would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea’s increase when sleeping on back?
Welcome to the forum.
It depends on why the AHI increased. You may be tucking your chin when you are on your back, in that case increasing pressure to 20 will do little to no good but a cervical collar will fix. If there is no other cause then increasing pressure won't help. If it is an increase in RERAs, Hypopneas, or Flow limits than increasing your PS may help.

Please download OSCAR and organize your charts per the link in my signature as that will allow us to advise based on data instead of guesses.
Post Reply Post Reply

Post Reply Post Reply
Classic!  Read the following Apnea Board wiki articles:
Positional Apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

You are on your way to very low AHI, but these articles describe the problem and show you examples of how other members solved the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I rarely sleep on my back, but when I do...

If a have my head on my pillow - which is firm foam and shaped with ridges along the long edges, and cutouts on the short sides - then my chin is forced into tucking toward my chest. I find that if I pull the pillow down so that my shoulders are on the pillow, then my head falls back into the valley and I can feel my throat open up.

I rarely fall asleep on my back, so I haven't noticed if there is any effect on my cpap pressure.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 92 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,977 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.