Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea?
RE: Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea?
@Gideon, thanks for the RERA wiki link.  So it seems, at least by the examples, that RERA is only inspiry related?  There's no respiratory distress associated with reduced exhalation?  Or that there's no name for it?

In the Details>statistics window, would the median entry be simply the median of the flow limitation signal over the entire duration of the sleep interval?  I think that's what I gathered from my reading.  Is this effectively a density function, i.e. one takes the session time into account?  My observation (not a criticism!) is this may de-emphasize reporting flow limitations for the cases where flow limits were non-continuous.  (Relatively sparsely separated flow limitations)  For long, continuous limitations, it appears to be a very good metric.

At the moment, I can't quite think of a better metric, but for folks like me, with sparser flow limitations, it seems to de-emphasize flow limitation parameter, when in fact we may have a lot of low level flow limits.  Another way of looking at is that one has run out of dynamic range to express the parameter within the fixed number of digits.  Having worked in radar, it is common to abandon linear scales for log scales, as it's nearly impossible to express the numbers any other way.  Log scales are funky to read at first, but they are very compact ,and convey the essential information.  

This conversation has been very helpful to further understand the issues.  Thanks to everyone that has contributed.  If there's more statistical information that we can discuss here, I'd be quite happy to continue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of what we see is inspiratory in nature, there is the occasional expiratory issue such as the palatal prolapse that we have had issues tracking.
On the median FL info, we use it strictly as an indicator.
Post Reply Post Reply
We were talking about this particular shot. What I see is some variable tidal volume leading to a really big sigh, followed by a quick return to zero flow that looks like a swallow, followed by continued expiration from that big breath. Things are a bit ragged, and it looks like a snore at 12:49:30, then resumption of normal respiration. There is not a significant flow-limited breath here. There may be an arousal, but not RERA.  I think I see a flop in position.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30637]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had picked that sequence a little arbitrarily, thinking it may be something.  It's just a small blip relative to the rest of the breathing activity.  

@Sleeprider, You are very experienced, and I am amazed you could pick out that from the waveform.  

As it turns out, I had some video of that time.  I just looked at it.  What happened was, I kid you not, I elevated my body, bending from the waist up about 30-40 degrees, then lowered myself and flopped on my side.  I most probably held my breath during part of it.  I don't know, that was one heck of a lot of motion.  I don't see how there wasn't an arousal of some sort.  

Sorry to have drifted off my own topic.  So RERA's appear to be inspiry only.  A different sequences I found showed increasing less area under the curve in expiry leading to a recovery breath.  It seemed similar in nature to RERA but for expiry, which was the basis for my question.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2021, 06:18 PM)Gideon Wrote: Look at titration principles, what do they try to accomplish.  The goal of titration is ultimately to "Optimize" therapy settings.  
Do note that most labs just look at which settings produced the best results in a very narrow window of time and call for those settings.

1. EPAP eliminates OA, increase EPAP to eliminate OA, yes even on CPAP
  2. Increase PS/IPAP/EPR, leaving EPAP as determined in step 1, to eliminate H, FL, RERA

For CA in the "lucky" people, this is just for CPAP/APAP/BiLevel without other complicating issues
  1. Increased PS typically increases CA so Lower PS/EPR to decrease CA events
  2. Higher Pressures tend to increase CA so Lower Pressure (EPAP) to reduce CA events
  3. Pressure variability tends to increase PA so lower PS/EPR/Flex to reduce variability and thus reduce CA events
  4. Narrow the pressure band limits (Min/max pressure, Diff between min EPAP/Max IPAP) to approach a single pressure therapy, approach CPAP therapy wo EPR/PS/Flex
With CA present, always look for a balance between OA and CA.  This frequently is the point of lowest AHI but as CA goes down OA goes up.  The actions to reduce obstructive events tend to increase central events and vice versa.

Hi Gideon,   Hm to me your post serve for me very handy educational reference, PAP treatment summary
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.