Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are these settings OK?
RE: Are these settings OK?
Perfect. Congrats on a good job. Keeping doc in the loop keeps feathers from being ruffled too much and creates a medical record.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We will help you to get where you need to be for comfort and efficacy. Good job on convincing the doctor that you had a sound approach that could save costs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At last I have an Aircurve 10 VAuto. But I’m having trouble with some of the settings. I’m sure only about EPAP which I’m setting at min 5 cm (Is that too low?) and IPAP max of 20 with PS at 4. 

But I am confused by the other settings listed below (listed in no particular order). Or is there an option allowing the machine to decide automatically? Any help would be appreciated. 

1. Set the maximum limit on the time the device spends in IPAP.
  2. Set the minimum limit on the time the device spends in IPAP.
  3. Sets the maximum inspiratory pressure delivered by the device. 20 cm
  4. Sets the minimum EPAP (minimum expiratory pressure) delivered by the device. 5 cm
  5. Difference between IPAP and EPAP. 4 cm
  6. Set the time taken for pressure to increase from EPAP to IPAP.
  7. Set the minimum temperature of air delivered by heated air tubing such as ClimateLineAir.
  8. Set the level of inspiratory flow above which the device changes from EPAP to IPAP.
  9. Set the level of inspiratory flow below which the device changes from IPAP to EPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
1) This is Tmax. Leave at original settings. Changes to this setting are only required if your spontaneous breathing doesn't naturally change to exhale in a reasonable time (which is not common).
2) This is Tmin. Again leave at original settings. This is for people that fail to maintain a full breath and need the machine to try and coax them to do so (again not common).
3) This is just max IPAP. 20 is fine unless there is a reason to limit max pressure.
4) Min EPAP is driven by obstructive apneas. Easy way to think about this is EPAP fights obstructive apnea, PS fights flow limitations and hypopneas. Increase EPAP until obstructive apneas are under control and then you can leave as is. Start low and work your way up.
5) This is PS.
6) This is rise time setting. Leave as original (similar to 1 & 2).
7) Air temp is related to humidity setting. If you are getting rainout at the humidity setting you prefer then try increasing air temp.
8) This is trigger sensitivity setting. Mostly a comfort setting, normal to high is what most people seem to prefer. This just effects the timing at which machine starts to increase pressure during breath in.
9) This is cycle sensitivity setting. Again mostly related to comfort and normal to low seems most commonly preferred. This just effects the timing at which machine starts to reduce pressure during exhalation.

Looking earlier in this thread I wonder a bit about a positional aspect, not sure if that was discussed or not (didn't really read the thread). You have some periods where restrictions seem much worse for some reason (not actually causing apnea though) and I wonder if that is because of chin tucking etc. Just an idea.

The new machine will be far more responsive then dreamstation so settings will have to be determined from scratch. Give it a go and post your results.
Post Reply Post Reply
And there are two more settings I missed in addition to the ones in the previous post.

10. Trigger: Set the level of inspiratory flow above which the device changes from EPAP to IPAP. Very low/ low/ medium/ high/ very high
11. Cycle: Set the level of inspiratory flow below which the device changes from IPAP to EPAP. Very low/ low/ medium/ high/ very high

Any help is appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
You already had those as #8 & 9. I commented on them above. Can just leave at medium for now (I think that is default).

Vauto has a lot of different adjustments, not all of them are necessary in most causes. EPAP, IPAP and PS are the main variables. Everything else is just related to comfort or special cases.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Trigger setting can be changed to “high” or “very high” if you develop centrals because of the pressure support. This helps prevent/lower centrals in some cases.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. That really helped. I thought I was expected to adjust every single setting. Since I am doing this without the help of a sleep tech, I was worried I would mess up something important. I’ll give a try and post results in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
On a used machine ALWAYS perform a Factory Reset as this places all settings in their "normal" setting. Once that is done enter the settings that define your personal therapy.
On a VAuto these are

Mode:
Min EPAP
Max IPAP
PS

that' typically it.
Post Reply Post Reply
waited until now to post to give myself time to adjust to the new machine. But since using the vAuto over the past three months, my sleep and my AHI numbers have been getting worse. I seem unable to go into deep sleep and often wake up groggy like in my pre-CPAP days. I have also been sleeping less and less and would wake up middle of the night for no particular reason. So naturally I am tired throughout the day. 

I am fit for a 75-year-old woman. I weigh 115 pounds. I am not on any medication. 

I would like to post some charts for advice but am unsure which day or days I should post. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirCurve 10 ASV settings - Equivalent settings for AirCurve 10 VAUTO Shadowpup 0 857 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  ResMed Adjust ASV Settings to AutoASV Settings ronsch00 4 3,663 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  SleepyHead Question: machine settings on Daily Sidebar don't match actual settings Kris the Crone 6 2,115 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Kris the Crone
Question Auto CPAP settings vs Auto BiPAP settings thasan26 1 2,758 05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: robysue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.