Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ashamed of needing a cpap, don't want wife to see me.
RE: Ashamed of needing a cpap, don't want wife to see me.
(11-05-2017, 08:01 PM)Kryogen Wrote: I feel like a cripple.

Like you're handicapped? Or disabled? Because you need a medical device.

I get it, but the thing is, there's nothing you can do to alter the fact that you need this device. The only thing you're in control of is how you react to that need.

Your wife doesn't care and neither does anyone else. You're the only one!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know where you're coming from, not that age has any bearing but I am a similar age and felt self conscious about it also. Even though I am a relative noob at this it does get easier and my partner is way more concerned that I am healthy. You only require it for sleeping  Bigwink so don't worry about what you look like. I am active and fairly fit but snore like a freight train, the machine helps with my sleep and my wife's sleep so we are both happier people and in the long run hopefully it will help with my health, I have already had lower blood pressure readings which is great.

I sleep facing away from my wife as she doesnt like the air blowing on her (hopefully there will be a FFM that disperses air like the P10 pillows) but she has grown to take it as part of the nightly routine and I am sure you are way more concerned than she is.

Good luck with it and I hope you start to settle in soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife has seen far more scarier things than my CPAP mask. For example: me, naked.  Shock

Enough to traumatize any human - and some animals. Big Grinnie

Seriously though, we've been together for so long that recently we were in the exam room together at the doctor's office, the doctor said I'm due for my prostrate exam. She didn't even leave the room and I didn't care. CPAP mask? You got this...
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I think my wife secretly enjoys that time of night when I'm in bed, strapped to my hose and my mouth is taped shut.  Now she can chit-chat all she wants with no escape or possible response from me.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: 0HaqY4C.jpg]

Masks are sexy!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
TBH I did feel a little embarrassed after I started wearing the mask and my wife wasn't thrilled with it either. One week later she loved it. Mainly because I wasn't shaking the house apart with my snoring.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
But just think how proud of you she will be when a nightime home invader runs away screaming after YOU have confronted him in full-mask regalia snorting thru the air hose you are dragging behind .. Big Grinnie
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife has no problems with my mask, although some nights she does tell me to roll over as the exhale blows on her. BTW, I get to tell her the same thing as she as one also and should be back using it shortly. (But that is another horror story). 

As to unscheduled nocturnal activities - no problem - hit the button and off comes the mask.  like

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I will admit there was a feeling of an ego-blow when I first got the device. The bulky Eson mask the machine came with didn't help.

And it was less my wife I was concerned with (we have solid history) but how I'd appear to my (then) twelve-year-old son. I was an old dad already, I didn't like adding another layer of decrepitude.

But instead of shrinking from it, I involved him. When new masks arrived, he helped to unpack them.

"Ooh Dad, you got the P10s? Cool!"

I think it isn't a close call between any hit top my vanity vs getting back to being a functioning father and husband. No contest.

I'm embracing my therapy and am very grateful to have the technology at my disposal.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why you guys are putting up with feeling like this..Tell her to go sleep on the couch, so you can relax.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 211 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 208 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 808 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 348 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 985 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,603 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Treatment thread for robbob2112 wife - need help robbob2112 7 525 11-11-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.