Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto machine help
RE: Auto machine help
(02-11-2017, 09:57 AM)Sidney Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 11:40 PM)pholynyk Wrote: If 'the gov' provides $850, then you must be in Ontario... If you qualify for an APAP, it's $1020. That's for the machine only; the mask and other sundries are extra. My insurance paid for a 'Premium' package which had everything, including a fancy CPAP pillow. That came to about $1000 extra for my complete system, including pretty good service trying multiple masks. I probably would not have gotten the premium package on my own. In my case, the trial mask help was very useful. Other than the mask help though, most of what I have learned I learned here on the ApneaBoard. So you probably can save money by going on-line, even forgoing the ADP money.

Oh, BTW, 'the gov' purchase includes a five year warranty, instead of two years. I don't know if you can get that if you don't use ADP. And if you import, you probably have to send it back for service. That may not be a problem; I don't know.

(02-10-2017, 10:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The two major auto CPAP machines are the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto, and the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Both of these manufacturers also produce fixed CPAP machines (Pro and Elite) respectively, as well as CPAP bricks that do not provide data (CPAP model).  Both will do a good job of treating you.  The Resmed has a faster response to increasing pressure, but the Philips can be optimized with a higher minimum pressure.  Both provide full data that you can use to stay on track probably better than if you rely on a supplier.  No supplier will change settings without a doctor's order anyway.  

The Resmed is considerably more expensive than Philips through channels like Amazon.  Similarly, [/url][url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List?pid=31#pid31]Supplier #2 will ship to Canada and generally charges more for the Resmed.  [/url][url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List?pid=31#pid31]Supplier #2 is selling a new Dreamstation Auto for $569 USD and the Airsense 10 Autoset for $749 USD. A "gently used Resmed S9 Autoset for $379.  Note the S9 is the older version of the Airsense 10 and has similar capabilities and response. You would have to call about any shipping charges and taxes for Canada.

THanks for the info and the suppliers list!! Only one Canadian seller but the price available is way better than my old supplier. I will research the list and see the best prices. 
Which machine should I go with tho ? Is there a great difference ? Thanks.

You'll find most people here will tell you that the Dreamstation and Resmed are excellent machines,  and will effectively treat you but that Resmed's algorithm is more aggressive at treating obstructive events. 

Personally I tried both and went with the Resmed A10 Autoset (until switched to BiPap).  Some people do find the aggressiveness less comfortable.  It's really personal preference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sidney,

Not sure what your timeline is, but I am visiting what I hope to be my supplier Tuesday morning.

Hoping to get a trial unit and start getting a good night sleep.

Are you in Ontario (I am in Mississauga), GTA?

There are several ones in the area. Pholynyk is using a different one than I am seeing, but sounds like his was good too.

Let us know and perhaps we can help, or at least let you know of our experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sidney, there are many online suppliers, but, as far as I know, in order to get the gov funding, a supplier must be registered with the Ontario ADP program, and you must have a prescription from a sleep doctor after testing in an overnight sleep lab. I have an old copy of the ADP sleep devices doc, but I can't remember the search terms I used to find it.

I suspect the reason why there is only one Canadian supplier on our list is that there are very few Canadians on the Advisory Board, the group which screens additions to that list.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2017, 09:31 AM)C0mbe Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 09:57 AM)Sidney Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 11:40 PM)pholynyk Wrote: If 'the gov' provides $850, then you must be in Ontario... If you qualify for an APAP, it's $1020. That's for the machine only; the mask and other sundries are extra. My insurance paid for a 'Premium' package which had everything, including a fancy CPAP pillow. That came to about $1000 extra for my complete system, including pretty good service trying multiple masks. I probably would not have gotten the premium package on my own. In my case, the trial mask help was very useful. Other than the mask help though, most of what I have learned I learned here on the ApneaBoard. So you probably can save money by going on-line, even forgoing the ADP money.

Oh, BTW, 'the gov' purchase includes a five year warranty, instead of two years. I don't know if you can get that if you don't use ADP. And if you import, you probably have to send it back for service. That may not be a problem; I don't know.

(02-10-2017, 10:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The two major auto CPAP machines are the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto, and the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Both of these manufacturers also produce fixed CPAP machines (Pro and Elite) respectively, as well as CPAP bricks that do not provide data (CPAP model).  Both will do a good job of treating you.  The Resmed has a faster response to increasing pressure, but the Philips can be optimized with a higher minimum pressure.  Both provide full data that you can use to stay on track probably better than if you rely on a supplier.  No supplier will change settings without a doctor's order anyway.  

The Resmed is considerably more expensive than Philips through channels like Amazon.  Similarly, [/url][url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List?pid=31#pid31]Supplier #2 will ship to Canada and generally charges more for the Resmed.  [/url][url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List?pid=31#pid31]Supplier #2 is selling a new Dreamstation Auto for $569 USD and the Airsense 10 Autoset for $749 USD. A "gently used Resmed S9 Autoset for $379.  Note the S9 is the older version of the Airsense 10 and has similar capabilities and response. You would have to call about any shipping charges and taxes for Canada.

THanks for the info and the suppliers list!! Only one Canadian seller but the price available is way better than my old supplier. I will research the list and see the best prices. 
Which machine should I go with tho ? Is there a great difference ? Thanks.

You'll find most people here will tell you that the Dreamstation and Resmed are excellent machines,  and will effectively treat you but that Resmed's algorithm is more aggressive at treating obstructive events. 

Personally I tried both and went with the Resmed A10 Autoset (until switched to BiPap).  Some people do find the aggressiveness less comfortable.  It's really personal preference.

Wow the resmed sounds very interesting then because I know I need an aggressive machine. And the data available about your progress and usage will be on par with the dream station ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 12:04 AM)Snoopy.pa30 Wrote: Sidney,

Not sure what your timeline is, but I am visiting what I hope to be my supplier Tuesday morning.

Hoping to get a trial unit and start getting a good night sleep.

Are you in Ontario (I am in Mississauga), GTA?  

There are several ones in the area.  Pholynyk is using a different one than I am seeing, but sounds like his was good too.

Let us know and perhaps we can help, or at least let you know of our experience.

I would like to get a new one within the next three weeks! Thanks for any additional info you are able to provide using your experience with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 09:33 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Sidney, there are many online suppliers, but, as far as I know, in order to get the gov funding, a supplier must be registered with the Ontario ADP program, and you must have a prescription from a sleep doctor after testing in an overnight sleep lab. I have an old copy of the ADP sleep devices doc, but I can't remember the search terms I used to find it.

I suspect the reason why there is only one Canadian supplier on our list is that there are very few Canadians on the Advisory Board, the group which screens additions to that list.

The Ont Gov only supply funding once every 5 years and I think I have another 2 years to regain access to this funding.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,339 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,170 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,001 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  [Treatment] New ASV auto machine RickEiben 0 488 05-12-2023, 12:25 AM
Last Post: RickEiben
  PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine ArnieSwas 32 4,517 12-27-2022, 11:33 AM
Last Post: ArnieSwas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.