Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto pressure setting advice
RE: Auto pressure setting advice
I started with wide open settings at 4-20 on a PRS1 60 series Auto, with A-flex set to 3. My AHI quickly fell to consistently < 1.5 everyday after 3 weeks of being on it.

I raised the minimum to 5 and my AHI went below 0.5 on almost every night. I also got 2 perfect 0.0 scores.

Raised it again to 6 and AHI went a bit up to 0.5 - 1.1 range. I was thinking why. The probable answer is in A-flex. A-flex is not triggered below 6. So when I was on 5, my EPAP was 5. But on 6, my EPAP is 4 (since A-flex providers a ~2 cm relief).

Then I raised it again to 7, and it feels like a much better experience. Air flow is ample. I never feel suffocated at any level of ambient temp/humidity. And my AHI is < 0.5 again. Also, my RERAs and FL reading has gone down. I feel much more rested now. This tells me that AHI is not the whole story. RERAs are important too.

So, my algorithm to self-titrate in your case will be:
1) Put the minimum to 8 (since you have experienced this starting pressure before and are comfortable with it).
2) Put the ramp to 0.
3) Keep the upper limit wide open to 20.
4) Evaluate you therapy numbers using sleepyhead for 10+ days.
5) If you see clusters of events (O, C, H) still when pressure shows 8, its time to raise the minimum by 1.
6) If you see Centrals when the pressure is on the high side, you may want to reduce the top limit by 1.
6) Repeat steps 4, 5 & 6 till you feel good consistently.

YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
@AshSF - In my short time here, this is one of the best posts I have read on settings. Thanks a bunch.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine. Go into clinical and enable Opti start. Then set the max at about 2cm above your titrated pressure. Then watch software to see if its getting that high or not or getting up to where you capped the max and sitting there with events still happening which would mean raise it a bit.

After thirty hours the machine will start diplaying and starting at your best min pressure. BUT you will need to go into clinical and set your min pressure manually to what Opti start picked. If you dont manually reset the min to the Optistart min pressure the machine will start at the new pressure but lower back to preset pressure if after a short time you have no events.

I use that feature anytime I change masks or think I need to change my max. In thirty hours of use it will recalculate the optium start pressure based on events etc or changes caused by the mask change.

Its never failed to pick a good min pressure that narrows the range to its best spread min to max.

With a simplus FFM with me on my machine and a max of 18 Opti start calculated a starting pressure of 10.5. up from 8. However I seldom went as high as 18.

And as another said AFlex wont engage under a pressure of 6. However set at 3 it will give a 3cmh20 relief "or down to 4cm if 6 is the min" 2 a 2 cm relief and 1 a 1 cm relief.

You can also run Cflex in auto mode which has a different feel that isnt quite as smothery as Aflex for some.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 03:23 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: @AshSF - In my short time here, this is one of the best posts I have read on settings. Thanks a bunch.

Thank you QAL. I really appreciate your kind encouraging words.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great advice.i went to bed before anyone had a chance to reply,so I stuck with the 8-12 last night.i will check my results on sleepyhead after work.The opti-start feature sounds like a good idea.Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I took the plunge and did two things - (1) narrowed the band a little from 4-20 cm to 6-13.5 cm and (2) set Optistart to ON.

Awaiting any response from Optistart, but see what seems to be a good trend in AHI from setting pressure bands.

I picked 6 as low, even though it is above the median of most days. This is because I wanted to determine if I could get used to or reset A-flex and heard this would only kick in when I get above 6.

A-flex=1 (A-flex of 2 was awful)
PRS1 resist=X1
DIY mask vent diverter installed.
RAMP= 4.5 cm for 15 minutes. (use rarely)

[attachment=1161]

net positive result in felling rested, energy, and concentration
Post Reply Post Reply
Update - 5 days on new pressure band, 3 of the days AHI was under 5. A definite improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.