Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Autoset: Any point in manually changing pressure?
Autoset: Any point in manually changing pressure?
Hi all, new here, be gentle!

I've been using my CPAP since January, on and off at first, more regularly now.  I keep having the feeling it's hard to breath through my mask.  I feel I need to concentrate so much on my breathing that I'm having problems sleeping!

I know this can mean 2 things, either too much air, or not enough.  In my case I definitely feel like it's not enough air.  I thought it might be the pressure, but looking at my numbers in SleepyHead, the pressure settings seem to be ok for my 95% value and mean value.  I also have an "autoset" CPAP machine, so am I right to believe as long as my min and max pressures are "wide" enough there is no need to tweak them?

I can't add my numbers as I'm a brand new member :-(
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Autoset: Any point in manually changing pressure?
Perhaps the lower pressure is too low. Once you are asleep, how often do you go that low?

Being too wide open can be a problem. The machine has too much room to wander through, trying to fix you. If it decides "apnea events settled, lets go to the low pressure" but then you have an event once it is there, it has to climb back up again. So if there's not that much of a space between the two, reaction time is quicker.

Do you have ramp on? If so, turn it off.

Have you tried to sit and watch tv with the mask and machine on? Take it to the living room, set it all up, turn it on, and just do something else. This will give you the chance to get used to the pressure.

Do you have EPR turned on? Some people feel they breathe better with it on. Some with it off. If it is on, try another setting. Or turn it off.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had ramp on yes, but turned it off ealier today.  EPR is on too, I can try it off tonight.

I frequently read for about 30 minutes with the machine on, and it's not that bad when I'm awake.

I think I managed to shrink my numbers enough to attach them here.
Post Reply Post Reply
if these were mine, I would change the RAMP start pressure to 6, or turn the ramp off.  Since you did turn the ramp off, there is little reason to make any other changes.

I would not have changed the EPR to off, just leave at EPR of 3.

I would run the settings for a few days, and then re-post a chart.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just make one change at a time. Or you'll never know what does it.

If it is fine while you are in bed and reading (which is bad sleep hygiene, btw), it could be just sheer "I hear myself breathing, all I can feel and hear is myself breathing" semi-panic mode going on. We all experience it. White noise will help with that. Or music. Or turning it into a meditation as you fall asleep.

Turn off the ramp. Observe for a few nights or more.

Take a look at each night's Median pressure (in your image, it 9.94). If it rarely drops below 9 or stays that high, increase your minimum pressure. If your other nights are similar to that one, then my suggestion is to increase the minimum to 9 or even 9.5 or 10. Observe for a bit.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips everyone.  

I know I shouldn't do anything other than sleep in bed (and well... uh... "that").  In my case, I have a "sunset lamp" that I use to help me fall asleep.  I set it to 30 minutes, and it slowly dims to darkness.  Most nights, I can't even last the 30 minutes before I pass out.

I'll go without ramp for a few nights and readjust if need be.  My median rarely drops below 9 so I might increase the min pressure to 9 in a week or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good. Please let us know how it works out! We love knowing what works and what doesn't.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
The suggestion of 9 works for me too. As Paul said, It might need 10 later, but wait and see. You will be in the fine tuning range then. I would use the EPR if you like it, your 'new user' CA numbers are good.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your chart, your median pressure is 10/7 considering EPR. I would certainly struggle with that, and you are showing quite a bit of flow limitation in the chart. So your MEDIAN pressure is 10. What does that tell you about your starting pressure of 8.0 with EPR 3? If you said too low, you win! You need a minimum pressure closer to your median, and I don't see any reason to change the maximum pressure. I think you will find this much more comfortable, effective and you won't see quite so wide of pressure changes during the night. Keep EPR the same, minimum pressure to 10, max at 16.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night charts would agree with your suggestion to bump up the min pressure if I understand things correctly.  

I felt a lot better with ramp off from the start, and woke up this morning much more refreshed than yesterday (which is odd because my graph looks much worse!).  Looking at the chart, there were a lot of OAs, that all seem to appear when pressure has dropped close to the MIN of 8.  I'll go ahead and bump up the MIN to 9 for a few nights, aiming for 10 if things improve.

[Image: G87t8iEl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 120 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 222 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 266 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 459 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 344 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 328 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Surprised Apap- changing settings Swsch2985 2 442 01-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.