Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back on cpap after some months off. Vauto at Post #71
Back on cpap after some months off. Vauto at Post #71
I was diagnosed with OSA last March and was having issues with getting used to it among other issues going on. I had to send my cpap machine back for non-compliance. I just recently bought a machine outright myself Dreamstation auto cpap with the amara view mask. I've been messing with the settings. I don't know my exact prescription I am waiting for my Dr to give me a copy. Here are the last 3 nights I've used the machine from Oscar. I know the last night I had a leak issue but I figured out the issue so it shouldn't be an issue going forward. Any insight or advice would be welcome or if I forgot to put any info in here just let me know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back on cpap after some months off
I forgot to put Oscar in the thread title.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome to Apnea Board. Two things for action up front. On OSCAR, turn off the VS2 flag. This flag has an arbitrary tendency of flagging things that are not real snores. Second, since you are on a Respironics, you will need to bump the pressure from 5 to something much closer to the median and/or your 95% numbers which were about 14 for median and about 16 for the 95%. A reason for this need for pressure setting adjustments is that Respironics machines are slow to react to events. If it has to run up the pressure to get to a number that can address the event, its slow response can mean the event is over by the time pressure is turned up. The result is your therapy is not nearly as helpful as it could.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2020, 07:45 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi and welcome to Apnea Board. Two things for action up front. On OSCAR, turn off the VS2 flag. This flag has an arbitrary tendency of flagging things that are not real snores. Second, since you are on a Respironics, you will need to bump the pressure from 5 to something much closer to the median and/or your 95% numbers which were about 14 for median and about 16 for the 95%. A reason for this need for pressure setting adjustments is that Respironics machines are slow to react to events. If it has to run up the pressure to get to a number that can address the event, its slow response can mean the event is over by the time pressure is turned up. The result is your therapy is not nearly as helpful as it could.

I will try upping my minimum tonight to 9 cm h20  assist from there as needed. I appreciate the feedback. Oh and I thought i had turned off the vs2 flag. You do that from the lower right corner correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's either bottom left or bottom right. I forgot which.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The VS2 flag is off, but you still have a lot of VS (vibratory snore) and that is causing pressure to stay high. With a minimum pressure of 5.0 you are not even close to your median of over 16, so you definitely need higher minimum pressure. Your pressure is high enough, i'd rather see you on bilevel which is more effective in treating the snores and likely flow limits that are causing them. There seems to be a lot of persistent upper airway resistance. If you can get zoomed into the flow rate for a 2-minute segment where the individual respiratory flow waves are visible, we can probably tell more. As far as recommendations, Increase minimum pressure to 10 and turn your flex level to 2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2020, 08:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The VS2 flag is off, but you still have a lot of VS (vibratory snore) and that is causing pressure to stay high.  With a minimum pressure of 5.0 you are not even close to your median of over 16, so you definitely need higher minimum pressure.  Your pressure is high enough, i'd rather see you on bilevel which is more effective in treating the snores and likely flow limits that are causing them.  There seems to be a lot of persistent upper airway resistance.  If you can get zoomed into the flow rate for a 2-minute segment where the individual respiratory flow waves are visible, we can probably tell more.    As far as recommendations, Increase minimum pressure to 10 and turn your flex level to 2.

I will get more zoomed-in readings later today/tomorrow. I am going to try and use fewer pillows when I sleep on my back with the ones I use now my chin gets tilted way forward.  I'll give these new settings a shot for awhile we how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
You just described the primary mechanism of positional apnea and the likely reason for your airway restriction. Please read: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2020, 10:12 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You just described the primary mechanism of positional apnea and the likely reason for your airway restriction.  Please read: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

Sure sounds like it. I'll try and find an SCC or like the thing to see if it helps. I just have a large neck so I might have an issue finding one that fits comfortably.
Post Reply Post Reply
A good start is to reduce the height and firmness of pillows. A SCC has worked for a surprising number of members and those with neck sizes north of 18.5" have to look pretty hard to find one that fits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,975 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.