Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backing up ResScan data
Backing up ResScan data
(12-14-2013, 03:24 PM)drgrimes Wrote: I wish I could figure out what's going on. After losing some data and being confused with the messages coming from cpap machine and from PC. I started with a new fresh SD card and have been religious about locking/unlocking AND ejecting it in Windows before removing.

Life was good I was able to look at my data in either SH or rescan. No goofy messages when I put the card back into my Autoset. Until today. Now it gives me that stupid message about erasing and rewriting the card. If you tell it no, you can't go in and start the machine. I was under the impression that as long as the card was locked, nothing could be written to the card by the PC.

I am convinced that it has something to do with me looking back and forth between SH and Rescan. I was careful to close each program properly before opening in the other. I am still trying to figure out which program I want to use full time, but it seems that once you get that error message, it persists from then on.

It's not critical, I have everything backed up but I wish I had a better understanding as to what's going on. OK, that's my rant for the day. Now it's time to go pick up dog poop.

Sorry, I'm new to ResScan so I don't have a clue.Apology-2

I'm also a recently diagnosed sleep apnea patient and will get my ResMed S9 AutoSelect next week and am trying to prepare as best I can to use it effectively in the CPAP adjustment period.

I am compulsive about backup plans, and I noticed you have backed up you SD Card and ejected it in Windows; consequently, you seem like the right person to ask the following questions:

When I download ResScan into my PC via install CD and/or download, does the program have a way to backup AutoSelect data to an External Hard Disk or do you have to have a separate read-right SD Card Reader?

If so, can you copy/paste or within the ResScan software can you copy the backed up data onto a new SD card?

I just talked to Best Buy's geek squad and they said I'd have to buy a SD Card Reader and the ResScan software would be able to transfer your old backed up data to you new SD Card via the USB Card Reader. Is that the way you do it, or some other way?

Finally, did you have to purchase a separate SD Card Reader to use ResScan?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data bites me again
(12-14-2013, 04:15 PM)drmick3 Wrote: Finally, did you have to purchase a separate SD Card Reader to use ResScan?
My laptop have a slot for the SD card, you don,t any special card reader

Post Reply Post Reply
Most importantly, how do you feel. You can get into a gray swamp with all this data and lose track of the fact of what you are doing all this for in the first place. How are you feeling when you wake up in the morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 06:52 PM)Lukie Wrote: Most importantly, how do you feel.
Very true, indeed

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Backing up ResScan data
Find where ResScan saves the data (I am on the wrong computer to look) then simply copy it over to where ever you want to keep the backup. That is the safest way to do it.

I think it is in the Documents folder under ResScan, now that I think about it. SleepyHead data is there, too. Just copy it to an external drive every few weeks or so. I have it set up to do this on my laptop with the backup program I use.

Telling ResScan to put it somewhere else is just going to confuse it and you. It is much easier to just do regular backups yourself.

I also keep backups of the card data.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am good with backup so i'm not worried, just can't figure out why the "erasing data card" message when I put card back in. Actually the data is all still there.

My laptop has built in SD slot. I also have several USB SD card readers, so I might switch to one of those to see if that helps. Yeah Paula, I've figured out where Rescan keeps data and make copies. I also save everyday as a 5 page PDF file so i'm good.

DrMick, there is not an automatic back up. Where the data is stored is a bit difficult to find but I will send you a message where to find it. Then you can copy the entire directory to an external drive or even on your desktop. I will send you a PM tomorrow.

Mick what version of windows are you running?

Lukie, yes I feel great and my data is very good. And I also agree that we need to focus on what's most important and not fret over the little stuff. I do lots of computer work, so it's just sort of a challenge for me to figure out what's going on. Thanks everyone!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an AutoSet S9 and I look at my data daily. The way I handle the data issue is I have a thumb drive and a spare SD Card and transfer the data from the ResMed SD Card to them and never use the ResMed SD Card for anything else. I power down the S9 and then remove the S9 data card. I write lock the data card and place it in the SD Card to USB adapter and then plug it into the desktop computer. I copy the data, starting with the 4 files in the root/top directory, of the ResMed data card to a directory in MyDocuments called ResMedSDCard. I then copy all of the data in SETTINGS into a directory under ResMedSDCard called SETTINGS, replacing the previous days info as this data changes daily. I then copy the last/latest eight files in the DATALOG directory into a sub-directory under ResMedSDCard called DATALOG adding to the growing list of files. This allows you to preserve the high resolution data on the desktop computer, the S9 will overwrite it after 7 days from what I've read. After I've ejected/dismounted the ResMed SD Card from the desktop I un-write protect it and place it back into the S9 and power it on.

From what I've read (and have see in real life) it's really important to power down the S9 completely before you remove the data card otherwise you can get data corruption. The S9 uses crc checksum to verify the data is good on the card and if the data file is changed in any way or the checksum files is changed in any way, the checksum will not match and the unit will give an error. When using ResScan I always use the thumb drive as the data source and when using SleepyHead I always use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory as the source. I also use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory for the source with EDFBrowser.

As for the data error problems I would make sure the S9 is completely powered down, it takes a few seconds with my unit, before removing the card. I usually hit the info button to get the LCD display to turn on and then press and hold the power button until the machine shuts down. I then wait for the light in the humidifier to go completely out. This usually takes 3 to 5 seconds after the LCD goes blank while holding down the power button. I would also make sure the write protect tab if fully in the write protect position before putting it into the reader and fully in the write enabled position before I put it back in the machine. I have had SD Cards in the past that the write protect slider does not work as smoothly as I would like. I have noticed on several occasions when ejecting the SD Card from the desktop there is a lot of activity on the light on the SD Card to USB adapter before it actually ejects even when it's write protected. I think Windows really wants to write stuff to the card when ever it is inserted or removed in a system, usually in the form of index files to allow faster access in the future. It seems that ResScan doesn't really care what is on the card it reads from, I have the ResScan Reports, the SleepyHead reports and the program (ResScan, SleepyHead and EDFBrowser) in separate directories on the thumb drive. The S9 on the other hand is pretty picky about the data card.

One last thing is you should never remove a data card from a machine (computer or PAP) that is powered up unless you have performed the unmount or eject function first. If you just remove the SD Card, you run the real risk of the card becoming corrupted as the system is writing data or updating storage info on the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 03:56 PM)elliott2 Wrote: The S9 uses crc checksum to verify the data is good on the card and if the data file is changed in any way or the checksum files is changed in any way, the checksum will not match and the unit will give an error. When using ResScan I always use the thumb drive as the data source and when using SleepyHead I always use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory as the source. I also use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory for the source with EDFBrowser.

Yesterday was my birthday and I'm getting my AutoSelect and WISP at noon today; so, tomorrow I should have tonight's data to look at.
Thinking-about
Got a quick question.

I was reading that if one has a USB Card Reader you can use that to transfer your backup data to your ResScan folders for backups.

You stated in your above post that you use a thumb drive as the "source" for ResScan. I know nothing about a thumb drive, but can one use either a SD Card Reader or a SD slot in one's computer as the source for importing into ResScan?.

Which is the cheapest? Which is the safest in protecting data on the SD card from being corrupted?

I use an External Hard Drive to backup all my important files either by copy/pasting or through my Acronis backup software, sometimes both ways.

I already know how I want to backup Sleepy Head, but I am wanting to look at data in ResScan that is not in Sleepy Head, as well as become conversant in the information my DME and doctor are looking at.Help

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2013, 10:27 AM)drmick3 Wrote: [quote='elliott2' pid='52415' dateline='1387141007']
The S9 uses crc checksum to verify the data is good on the card and if the data file is changed in any way or the checksum files is changed in any way, the checksum will not match and the unit will give an error. When using ResScan I always use the thumb drive as the data source and when using SleepyHead I always use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory as the source. I also use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory for the source with EDFBrowser.

Sorry I forgot to include this question in my above post comparing SD USB Card reader vs thumb drive v SD card slot in my computer.

I broached this question earlier, but have new information that makes it more important to address once more.

Since I just got the sleep doctor's report of my first sleep study, and went over it with my primary doc, it appears that I only slept 85 minutes over the six hours of my sleep study and no optimal pressure settings was found.

The sleep doc recommend an AutoSelect with wide-open pressure settings between 5 - 20. He also recommeded a second sleep study if the central and/or complex apnea did not resolve on the AutoSelect.

So, in my mind, the AutoSect will be used just as much as a diagnostic tool (over 30 days) as a treatment procedure..

Since I will be using the AutoSelect during the day during the adjustment period (and getting screwy summary stats (AHI, central apneas) while awake, I was considering taking the SD card out of the AutoSelect when I'm using the device during the day. Then, putting it back in the AutoSelect before going to sleep again.

In the big picture, I agree it probably won't make any difference to a doc looking at the data, but computer-wise, what is the correct procedure to take the SD card out of the AutoSelect when using the device during the day. Or, is it a "no-no" since it runs the risk of damaging the data?Idea
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 03:56 PM)elliott2 Wrote: I have noticed on several occasions when ejecting the SD Card from the desktop there is a lot of activity on the light on the SD Card to USB adapter before it actually ejects even when it's write protected. I think Windows really wants to write stuff to the card when ever it is inserted or removed in a system, usually in the form of index files to allow faster access in the future. It seems that ResScan doesn't really care what is on the card it reads from, I have the ResScan Reports, the SleepyHead reports and the program (ResScan, SleepyHead and EDFBrowser) in separate directories on the thumb drive. The S9 on the other hand is pretty picky about the data card.

Oh-jeez
You'd think I could get all the questions in one post, but maybe its better splitting them out, anyway, since there's so much good stuff in Elliot2's post.

To clarify from what I've read in the above post, the SD Card Reader seems to act as a "hub" which protects the SD card from Windows during the ejection process when the card is taken out of, say, a card slot in the computer because one typically doesn't want to power down the computer with the SD card in the slot, since Windows will try to write to it.

Am I correct that the SD Card Reader can be powered down (with the SD card reader in it) without Widows trying to write to it (even with the write protection in place on the card)????

If so, I assume one can disconnect the USB card reader from the computer, safely remove the SD card, remove the card's write protection, then place it back in a turned-off CPAP.

Going back some, one can see and copy from the card in the SD card reader and paste it to its appropriate folder on a thumb drive, external drive, etc.

Given the capacity of the thumb drive, or external hard drive, one could actually backup each day's data, adding the date to the folder for that day. In that way, one could go back to any particular day in the past (even the detail) if you were trying to trace back to when a problem pattern started, and follow it forward to the day you discovered the pattern.

If the above is correct, one then needs to have a way to backup and combine all the 7-day sets of detailed data into any time period (say, 2-, 3-, 4-week time period), rather than just losing it since the CPAP device overwrites it every day.

Has anyone considered and/or found a solution to this problem of losing detail data every day?Help
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 71 5 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 87 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,335 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 372 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 428 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 288 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.