Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad Seal with Full Face Mask
Bad Seal with Full Face Mask
I currently use the Resmed F20 mask, it's the best fit I have gotten, but my pressure goes up past 15 sometimes and it leaks. Unless i have it clamped onto my face, it leaks at around midnight, and i get frustrated and take it off. I don't mind it being tight, BUT it literally has to be so tight that it brings my chin back into my neck and causes neck pain.
Any suggestions?
I tried the medium and small, and the small is the best fit. I just feel like there is something I'm missing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad Seal with Full Face Mask
I started CPAP Therapy with an AirFit F20. Also used it in my in-lab, sleep study. I seemed to have done fine with it. That was until the AirFit F30 came out. That's what I'm currently using now. 

The F30 does a much better job at sealing, and it's much more comfortable. And......if my nose itches at night, I can actually scratch it. 

I still use my F20 once in a while, just for a change. Usually a night or two, then it's back to my F30. 

Anyways, you might want to try the F30. I think though, it's only available in small or medium. I use the medium. I do tend to keep my headgear straps on the snug side. I'm also a side sleeper, and the F30 is more accommodating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ts2655! - Welcome

Not all masks are the same. If that is the only brand or model you have tried, then I suggest you look at other ones. Myself for one, have had excellent results using the F&P Simplus and its successor, the Vitera.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome,

I've used the ResMed F20 with both silicone and memory foam. Silicone AirFit was better than memory foam AirTouch, but neither were leak free. I've done the so tight it hurts and found that means the mask is wrong for me. No mask should cause pain.

I've recently gotten the Fisher and Paykel Simplus and Vitera. Now these are much better for me. MUCH Better than an F20. I prefer Vitera over Simplus due to the headgear bring more comfortable. The Simplus has better top of head adjustment for where the mask sits, an up/down adjustment as it were. Maybe consider either of these F&P masks.

Another important thing, Simplus and Vitera allow lots of sleep movement with almost no leaks. I sleep on my side and back and these don't break seal when I move. They have roll fit bellows that isolates movement so as not to break the seal. These 2 need very light strap tension.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I must be a mask fanatic -- I have a container that must have 7 different brands and styles!

Resmed F20 has been my favorite mask but I have to tighten the straps so much, I may as well glue the mask to my face.  I was told to 'lightly' tighten the straps --- when my head moves left, the mask stays in place or moves to the right.  So I tighten it up.  If I kept my head in a trench and couldn't move, it would stay in place --- I tend to rotate / move around all night!

MY PROBLEM -- having the mask so tight, the bridge of my nose is red and often very sore.  I've used band-aids, gel pads --- I know it's because I tighten the headgear but wish there were another solution for the injured nose.

I have used the F&P Vitera and it seemed fine for a while -- then I was getting so many air leaks.  I need to go back to that one and see if I can get my nose to heal.

My last mask to try has been the Respironics FIT LIFE - or whatever the mask is that's the size of a plate.  But it fits completely over the face -- hasn't been confining or claustrophobic-- really didn't dry my eyes; but I still had leaks!   

The very first mask I was given was the F30 --- fits under the nostrils (not on the bridge of the nose -- only good thing).  I couldn't wear it -- had to keep the straps tight or the mask would not fit to my nostrils tightly - all night, constantly pushing it up in place .... that didn't last long at all.

Has taken me almost two years with the CPAP -- and the dry mouth has happened to me as well.  I think it's because the humidity inside my house is very dry.  I was told to get a room humidifier -- just another thing to clean and keep up with.  The dry mouth only affects me during the winter months.  I just get up during the night and drink water.  I've taped my mouth --- that helps.

I guess a CPAP is a forever part of my life - ugh!
I have an app on my phone and it detects snoring.  If I remove the mask early a.m. and go back to sleep.  The snoring is loud or epic on my app --- I only cringe to think I've had family sleep in rooms nearby and heard the sounds of a freight train coming from my room!   Too-funny

This is a great site to read about everyone's issues and some wonderful solutions!  

Good luck to everyone!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm doing reasonably well with the F20 -- I have both the foam and the silicon gaskets -- but it isn't leak-free. To be honest, I don't know if it needs to be. So long as air isn't hissing out so fast the it wakes me up, I'm not sure how concerned to be.

Anyhow, what I've found with this mask is that I have to wiggle it around under full pressure until it seals properly. I have to pull it away from my face a little, so that the gasket inflates completely.

I still hate it, but I hate it less than the other masks I've tried.

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 335 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.