Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bed-wetting (Sleep Enuresis)
Bed-wetting (Sleep Enuresis)
Hi all,

I am having this problem now at the age of 33 where sometimes I wet my pants during night sleep.

One of the factors of this problem is of course OSA.

This problem are very troublesome for me at night and I woke up just to check myself for not wetting my pants.

I notice if I do a brisk walking for a good 1 hour and sweat a lot in the late evening, this bed-wetting will not happened at night.

Anyone having the same problem? How do you deal with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bed-wetting (Sleep Enuresis)
I've experienced relief from that through a few things:

- chiropractic

- eliminate the food that is causing the problem (ie: dairy)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2019, 09:15 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I've experienced relief from that through a few things:

- chiropractic

- eliminate the food that is causing the problem (ie: dairy)

How chiropractic can solve this and related to the problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
Frequent urination at night is a common side effect of sleep apnea. The exact mechanism is complicated but it relates to the adrenaline that is released into your system when an apnea occurs. Many people (me included) find that the problem pretty much goes away once the apnea is under control.

Having said that, I think the great majority of people are able to wake up enough to get to the toilet. If you don't get a distinct improvement with the machine you should probably see a doctor to rule out any underlying causes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am 67 and have yet to experience night rising to void.  My siblings and very aged father rise at least twice a night.  Why am I different?!?!?  I believe it might be dumb luck, surely, but I also am in the habit of drinking very little from about 3:00PM onwards. I might have a snack an hour prior to bedtime, and it includes about 200 ml or so of milk.  But that's it from 1500 hrs.  So, I am somewhat dehydrated when I fall asleep.  Also, as we all do, my bladder is empty when I go to bed.  Between those two conditions, I never have to arise during the night.

I take it that this phenomenon is somewhat rare, say once a month or so?  It might be related to a full bladder too early in the night, or it might be related to the way you sleep these days.  People with enuresis are usually in a defective sleep pattern where there are several factors leading to voiding uncontrollably.  Fragmentation of sleep, heightened arousal levels, bowels with too much accumulated feces...these are examples.  I wonder if you would be further ahead to have a polysomnography.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exercise soon before bedtime is not conducive to good sleep, unfortunately. Schedule a visit with your doctor, who can help to explore causes that may be unrelated to sleep and apnea. In the meantime, try using disposable, absorbent underpants. They will help you avoid the need for extra laundry, and they may reduce some night-time anxiety as well.

One other thought, fairly speculative. Sometimes people urinate during the night when they are under a lot of stress. It occurs to me that the evening walks may be having their good effect by reducing stress. You might want to explore other stress-reducers, including some form of meditation that works for you, or a warm bath, or something like that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 224 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 253 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,417 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 834 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,063 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 701 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,270 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.