Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Befuddled new user
RE: Befuddled new user
Hmm.
Suggestion: Try altering the furniture arraingement to optimize for CPAP operations.
About 1/3 of your life is in sleep mode, so YOU are worth it!
Find a stack if dictionaries or check with the hardware store and see if you can find something that will get the machine up where you can operate it. Wink

The full beard may be problematic however.
I hear some folks go with a total face mask design for that.
I have no experience with those however...except for the old fashioned ones used for scuba diving.
:/

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have facial hair so others here that do will probably be able to help a lot more, but I have a hard time seeing how you would be able to get a good seal with a full face mask. I know I've read where some manufacturers claim that some ffms can be compatible with beards, but I just can't see how. I have to shave every night just to get my Quattro FX to be leak (unintentional) free. Like Shastzi said, total face mask would probably work, but I haven't had any experience with those and don't know how comfortable they are. I think people with full beards etc. usually end up going with nasal pillows and I'm pretty sure I've read where people have found a couple different kinds of nasal masks that have worked for them. If you're prone to mouth breathing you'll need to use a chin strap to keep your mouth shut and prevent the air pressure from escaping through your mouth.

Hang in there and hopefully someone with a beard can offer some suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am fairly sure that the "intentional" leaks are not reported in Sleepyhead or in Rescan software for the ResMed machines. So when you see the lower numbers for ResMed users, that is the reason.

(01-19-2013, 08:32 PM)Shastzi Wrote: This is interesting to me. I use the Quattro FX and the mask has a little graph printed in the manual.
It shows that at 16 cm pressure the mask *vents off* 48 LPM.
That is the calibrated exhaust flow rate assuming a perfect seal is in effect.
Am I getting good therapy though? Yup.
Because I am using a separate handheld manometer and the pressure is holding.
The oximeter log I run also verifies this too.
So..it makes me wonder what's going on at ResMed, they make it sound like the machine can't handle more than 24 LPM and according to this ResScan graph my mask exhaust flow rate well exceeds the red line value. Even if I backed the pressure down to 12cm the mask will still vent at 40LPM+.
Just what are they trying to tell us here?

call me befuddled too.

=o.O=

Crazy

Post Reply Post Reply

Resmed machine unlike other machines ... calculate unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak)
unintentional leak = total leak – intentional leak from mask CO2 washout
You have to set the mask type that you,re using

in the presence of a high level of unintentional leak
AHI value cannot be analyzed correctly
first, you need to solve the leak issue

Mirage Quattro fitting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24GrWQ7QCf8

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 11:54 PM)zonk Wrote: Resmed machine unlike other machines ... calculate unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak)
unintentional leak = total leak – intentional leak from mask CO2 washout

I don't understand this.

When I viewed the data from my Respironics System One APAP in SleepyHead it showed two leak lines. The lower was the intentional leak from the vent holes in the mask. The upper line was the total leak. So I could calculate the unintentional leak by subtracting the bottom number from the top number.

Now I have an S9 Autoset APAP. When I look at the data in SleepyHead I see just one leak line. I thought that this line included 30 L for the intentional leak, so my unintentional leak was the total less 30 L.

Have I completely misunderstood the leak numbers?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote "Now I have an S9 Autoset APAP. When I look at the data in SleepyHead I see just one leak line. I thought that this line included 30 L for the intentional leak, so my unintentional leak was the total less 30 L."

Hi JJJ
I don,t use SH
Resscan leak graph draws a red line at 24l/min
prolong leak above this line and the S9 cannot detect events correctly

edited post lots-o-coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 12:06 AM)JJJ Wrote: Have I completely misunderstood the leak numbers?

Yes and no. Too-funny

You need to go to Preferences->CPAP Tab and see which one you've selected, Total Leaks or Unintentional Leaks.

Mark hasn't actually implemented the Leak Profile yet but since the L/min actually varies with a given pressure then a 30 L/min leak rate would only be valid for a pressure around 8.75 cm approximately.

You should have also un-checked Use RDI if you haven't already since you're using an S9 now.

For absolute accuracy, I always download my data into ResScan too, there's more than one bug in SleepyHead, not the least of which is its problem importing ResMed data, unless you're using the Mac version of SH, it's already fixed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 01:25 AM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(01-20-2013, 12:06 AM)JJJ Wrote: Have I completely misunderstood the leak numbers?

You need to go to Preferences->CPAP Tab and see which one you've selected, Total Leaks or Unintentional Leaks.

I don't see that option. There is a drop-down for Leak Calcs, which gives me the options of Mask Profile or Statistical Model. It is set to Mask Profile.

(01-20-2013, 01:25 AM)TheWerkz Wrote: Mark hasn't actually implemented the Leak Profile yet but since the L/min actually varies with a given pressure then a 30 L/min leak rate would only be valid for a pressure around 8.75 cm approximately.
You should have also un-checked Use RDI if you haven't already since you're using an S9 now.
For absolute accuracy, I always download my data into ResScan too, there's more than one bug in SleepyHead, not the least of which is its problem importing ResMed data, unless you're using the Mac version of SH, it's already fixed.

Use RDI is unchecked.

I can't use ResScan because I don't have any Windows or Mac computers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 01:44 AM)JJJ Wrote: I don't see that option. There is a drop-down for Leak Calcs, which gives me the options of Mask Profile or Statistical Model. It is set to Mask Profile.

I can't use ResScan because I don't have any Windows or Mac computers.

I guess the Linux version is somewhat different from the Windows version.

I'm waiting on my Fedora 18 ISO to d'l right now, I'll install SH onto it after I get it setup on the other partition and see what's different between the versions, it should have the same options in all 3 versions.

I may be wrong but I don't think ResScan works on a Mac unless you have a Windows emulator.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 08:41 PM)cyborg Wrote: Machine is set to Full Face Mask.

I find the mask fit to be an exercise in futility. My machine is about 6" lower than my bed. To see the Mask Fit display I have to lean over, which means my mask is now hanging from my face, instead of resting on my face with gravity doing some of the work.

I have never used the feature but have assumed you do it sitting up after you have fit the mask. Yes, it moves when you lay down but starting the process sitting up allegedly helps.

Quote:I also have a full beard and I use the Remzzzs pads, or ones that I've made.

Ah. That's probably where the leaks are happening. Have you tried a chin strap?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.