Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beginner at CPAP therapy with questions
Beginner at CPAP therapy with questions
Hi all, I am just starting CPAP therapy have been on it for about 2 weeks now.  I am having some issues and concerns and hoping others with experience could help. I'm including a couple OSCAR screenshots to give context to my questions.

OSCAR Daily report

Detailed/zoomed report on CA Events

1. Waking up feeling like unable to breathe. So far I have only been able to sleep 1-4 hours at most with CPAP, averaging around 2 hours, with a few nights where I just can't fall asleep with the mask.  When I wake up in the middle of the night while using CPAP, I feel like I can't breathe.  Then I struggle for the next hour to get comfortable and go back to sleep, which results in me taking the mask off and falling asleep without it.  If I wake up again, sometimes I'll try putting the mask back on, but it's hit or miss.  What could cause this? Anything in the report that could explain it, or anything which needs to be adjusted?

2. Nose blockage and breathing. I saw an ENT a couple years ago for something unrelated to sleep. ENT noticed that I had a deviated septum, and asked if I had trouble breathing.  It wasn't an issue at the time, so he said we didn't have to do anything if it wasn't bothering me. I am now wondering if this needs to be addressed.  Since I started using CPAP, the pressure has made me very aware of the blockage in one of my nostrils. I am using a full face mask so that I can breathe through my mouth if needed.  But I still feel very uncomfortable when trying to fall asleep with the blockage in my nose and I am wondering if this is why I am waking up feeling like I can't breathe when using CPAP. Would this type of nasal issue affect CPAP and my ability to use it correctly? Is there any indication of this in the report?

3. CA events. I'm seeing a lot of CA events in succession for a long period. For clarity I've included a second screenshot that is zoomed in on a few of the CA events. What could be causing that?

4. Cheyne-Stokes breathing. The report shows a Cheyne-Stokes breathing event for about an hour. None of my other reports from the past couple weeks have this. Is this something to be concerned about?

5. Misc. Anything else notable in the report that you think is important?  Anything that should change with CPAP settings based on issues mentioned above (e.g. waking out of breath, CA events, nose blockage, etc.).

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beginner at CPAP therapy with questions
I also have a deviated septum and Fluticasone Propionate does wonders for me. I buy the Amazon basic 3 pack, 1 spray in each nostril. I also went to a ENT for always being clogged up, allergies and the deviated septum were the culprit. I tried the nose spray, and the results were so good I can live without the surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's some welcome, but welcome to the forum.

step 1, let's see if we can knock down those centrals. Set EPR to off. Big step, and we may well turn it back on, but f\or now that could be (not is) the largest contributor.

Repost and show us what happened.

Because of the number of centrals id like to see your diagnostic sleep study. including the charts and tables in addition to the narrative.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the low minimum, it's no wonder OP feels air starved.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2022, 01:25 PM)sleepy742 Wrote: 1. Waking up feeling like unable to breathe. So far I have only been able to sleep 1-4 hours at most with CPAP, averaging around 2 hours, with a few nights where I just can't fall asleep with the mask.  When I wake up in the middle of the night while using CPAP, I feel like I can't breathe.  Then I struggle for the next hour to get comfortable and go back to sleep, which results in me taking the mask off and falling asleep without it. 

A lot of these issues will go away as you adapt to the CPAP therapy. Just be patient with yourself. Everyone adapts at their own pace. I encourage you to do some reading about sleep hygiene.

When you can't sleep, get out of bed and read with the lowest light possible. Then go back to bed. Never sleep without the CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say the minimum pressure is too low, coupled with EPR 3, that might explain the "unable to breathe" part.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 3 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.