Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beginning care questions
Beginning care questions
I got a new machine from a friend that ended up with a bpap 
I Know I don't have a doctor 
I used it 3 nights and worked well but in the 4/5 nights it stopped letting me exhaust thru elbow vent ( no setting change)
I'm confused 
1)Is it suppose to allow exhale out of the elbow,or are you supposed to exhale thru the small vent holes ?

2)AA valve is new I don't know how it could be defective it's simple 
I'm wondering if the machine is defective?

I hate the mask but I got it
Im a nose breather tooth grinder 
 Pillows are in my future 

3)looking in to sleepyhead
What is differences between myair and sleepyhead?

Thanks I'm stupid and new 
smack me I'll learn faster
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beginning care questions
Hi Iamthedoctor,
Could you be more specific?

Do you have the ResMed AirSense 10 Cpap, Elite or AutoSet? If you have the A10 Cpap, this is pretty much what we call a "brick" as it cannot give you any data. The Elite and AutoSet will work fine with #SleepyHead.

What is the name of your mask? All masks have exhaust vents for breathing out.

MyAir gives limited information. Downloading #SleepyHead is your best bet.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update your profile to reflect your machine model, current settings and mask. Make sure you have an SD card in your machine. The AA valve is to let air in in a power or mechanical failure. The other vent holes should have air going out at all times when the machine is runing. If you could post a couple of daily charts from [url=https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url],  this is the software that people on the forum are used to working with, it provides a wealth of information about your treatment. There is a guide to useing it here. Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead. Reports from other software would be ok if that is what you are using already. There are a couple of guides on how to post and organize your charts here. Posting an Image in 5 Easy Steps       Organize your SleepyHead Charts. If you need more help with any aspect of posting data don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Iamthedoctor! Glad you found us! Hope you get everything sorted out and can then get some quality CPAP treatment.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed airsense 10 autoset with humidifier and heated hose
Mask is resmed Quattro fx with full head gear

I know all masks have exhausting vents

But I'm trying to say both vents were working now only the small ones are working making it hard to exhaust
I don't know what is right or wrong but it changed without touching the thing

I'm looking into sleepyhead
I will post when I have it
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you taken apart the mask recently? If so, make sure it is back together correctly. Even us old farts make mistakes on that. Go to YouTube and find videos on the mask. I had an adapter on the wrong end for, like, half a year until I looked at the video.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula
But I never have taken it apart
The change happened without anything different
Post Reply Post Reply
The vents in the elbow should be closed off by the flapper valve while the machine is applying air pressure. It is only when there is no or too little air flowing that the vents in the elbow should be open. I would guess the someone (maybe the previous owner) disassembled the mask to clean it and did not get the flapper reinstalled properly so that it was not operating properly when you first got it. Somehow it worked itself into the correct position and is now working properly.

Regards

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Paytona
So while using machine with pressure its normal that the exhaust goes only thru the pin sized vent??
So the first three night were a fluke?

Thanks for the info
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the pin size vents along the top front. There are perhaps two dozen of those holes.
At your 10 cm-water pressure, they probably vent about 20 Liters per minute.
Your minute volume is probably around 8 LPM (that volume you take in and expel over one minute)
So your mask vent(s) flush the expelled carbon dioxide out the vents.

If the anti-asphyxia valve (AAV) in the elbow doesn't close, the machine cannot output enough flow to reach pressure.
The AAV is there to permit you to breathe through it should the power fail, et cetera. They are incorporated into all full-face masks as a safety feature.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 604 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.