Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Machine for UARS - VAuto or ASV?
Best Machine for UARS - VAuto or ASV?
Hello, I am wondering if someone can help me understand the difference between the Resmed Aircurve V10Auto and the ASV machine. I have UARS and the ASV is twice the cost of the V10Auto. I don't want to waste money buying the V10 and later finding it doesn't help and then buying the ASV. So my question is, should I just go for the ASV? Is it basically the V10 but with more settings? Do I risk anything by choosing it over the V10? Is there a chance that the VAuto would help but the ASV would NOT? I don't want to buy the VAuto just to end up buying the ASV later.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Machine for UARS - VAuto or ASV?
The Aircurve 10 Vauto is normally the best solution to provide consistent pressure support to improve flow through a restricted airway. The Vauto allows for a constant pressure support on every breath and variable pressure that responds to obstructive events and flow limitation. By providing higher inspiratory pressure the Vauto improves the flow rate and allows for easy expiration. The Vauto follows the user's spontaneous respiration rate and does not provide a backup to spontaneous effort. The Aircurve 10 ASV is normally prescribed for individuals with moderate to severe central apnea or therapy onset central apnea. It provides breath by breath pressure support to maintain a constant minute vent and will cause a breath to occur in the absence of spontaneous effort. The ASV requires setting a range for EPAP pressure, a maximum pressure and pressure support minimum and maximum which must be at least 5-cm difference. ASV has been used for UARS where pressure support needed to improve inspiratory flow rate results in central apnea events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm adding photos of my sleep study. Not sure if that can help, but I don't have a good understanding of it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You do not have what would be considered clinical sleep disordered breathing. If you are seeking to use bilevel PAP therapy to make it easier to breathe, then the Vauto is an excellent tool. I see nothing here that would suggest a need for ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor suggested that I have UARS, and with my sleep efficiency of 23%, and the frequent arousals at night, I'm basically looking to fix that, because I suffer from extreme fatigue, lack of concentration, and my memory is worsening all the time although I'm only 23 years old. The sleep study was done 3 years ago but I basically have the same symptoms just a lot worse. My quality of life is complete garbage. 

One thing that did concern me about the VAuto was that I've been reading it can cause CSA - do you think this would be a risk for me? How can it be prevented? 

Another question, would you have any recommendations as to what mask would be ideal?

From what I'm reading, it looks like CSA can be an issue with BiPAP if you have a high pressure support...but I don't really know if I do or how I'd figure that out. I'm really new to all this.
Post Reply Post Reply
If there's any CA that you get, it'll be treatment emergent CA. This can be minimized by settings, and will diminish the more you use the VAuto.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 91 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 988 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 633 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 579 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.