Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Nasal Pillow for Leaks and Proper Exhalation / Rebreathing at Low Pressures
Best Nasal Pillow for Leaks and Proper Exhalation / Rebreathing at Low Pressures
I'm a new PAP user with an Airfit p30i and have been experiencing trouble on exhalation. I notice that it seems to vary by night. Humidity and temperature vary a lot here at night (Southern California). Inhalation is never an issue. This prompted me to do a little digging and I found the thread on the P10 and QuietAir mesh blockages / hypercapnia. I will try cleaning and see if things improve tonight, but it occurred to me that it might be nicer to just have a mask which doesn't have these problems.

I am stuck with nasal pillows for the time being, use pretty low pressures, and would like to reduce leaks going forward.

With that in mind, what mask is best? I'm planning on buying a Brevida, but wanted to see what the denizens of AB had to say as I could try a few and have a shootout.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Nasal Pillow for Leaks and Proper Exhalation / Rebreathing at Low Pressures
I have a Brevida in my lineup and love it. It has a removable diffuser, either for cleaning or operation without it. It has been a while since I've read the directions, but I think that above a certain pressure, it is supposed to be removed. The pillows on this mask also really attach to your nose. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Nasal Pillow for Leaks and Proper Exhalation / Rebreathing at Low Pressures
Ahh, that's exciting! Love the ability to remove the diffuser. Thanks for the encouragement.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the Airfit P30i and liked it pretty well; better than the Dreamwear mask that was similar. But now I use the Bleep system, and like it a LOT better. It has no straps, does not poke anything in your nose and is really comfortable. It is a little fiddly to learn how to use at first, but is wonderful and well worth the effort.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Checking it out now and very intrigued by the Bleep, seems like it might be the best in class for leaks? The only thing is the constant use of disposables, cost and waste wise. I'll have to check with my insurance to see if they're covered.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2021, 04:39 PM)hoselife Wrote: Thanks! Checking it out now and very intrigued by the Bleep, seems like it might be the best in class for leaks? The only thing is the constant use of disposables, cost and waste wise. I'll have to check with my insurance to see if they're covered.

My insurance covers it completely for me.  Otherwise it would get pretty expensive.  When I first ran it through my insurance, they turned it down because they did not know how to apply the correct codes.  If you read some of the stuff and watch short videos done by Stuart Heatherington, the inventor and owner of Bleep, he explains what insurance codes need to be used by your insurance company.  Once I explained this to the lady at my insurance (CIGNA) she fixed things and I was covered.

It is great at eliminating leaks.  You need to watch Stuart's videos on putting the Bleep Ports and the rest of the system on properly, The ports are the part that is taped to your face.  Then he shows how to hook the hose and attached top part to the ports.  This is where it can be tricky, as you need to click the parts together.  The video helps a lot.

There is a very long thread on this site where people discuss and review the Bleep.  You can learn things there too.

Best of luck!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
This post is based on my previous about the F&P Brevida's diffuser.  It seems that my memory was not correct in its use.  You can use the Brevida with or without the diffuser at any pressure.  I have included an image of the user's manual describing it and the flow differences.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30473]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.