Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best way to wear finger/ring oximeter (eg O2Ring)
Best way to wear finger/ring oximeter (eg O2Ring)
Ring-wearing tip, from my trial and error:
The best way to wear an O2Ring-type ring oximeter is - Sideways!

That is, on the index finger, between the last (end) two knuckles, pointing not-upwards (i.e. not like a "display" ring), not downwards (towards the palm) but in between those two "extremes", pointing (its face) at the thumb.

Downwards or sideways, both protect the ring from being knocked/dragged/dislodged or scratched as you move about (awake or in sleep). Sideways has the advantage of greater comfort and not getting in the way of grasping things, or indeed scratching it on such things.

In case that's helpful to anyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best way to wear finger/ring oximeter (eg O2Ring)
I don't know if you are allowed to say in this thread or not, but I'm curious about exactly which one you purchased.  I am looking for one and even with the help from the literature on this site, welll, it's a little confusing as to which one I want to order.

Thank you for the tips!
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
The one I purchased is the Wellue/Viatom O2Ring, which for my purposes I am happy with.

The following is not intended as any kind of recommendation, just a record of my thought process prior to purchasing. Your priorities might differ.

I discovered it while websearching for an overnight-recording oximeter with Bluetooth connectivity (O2Ring offers that only for macOS, which is what I use, a special USB cable adaptor instead used for Windows).

Websearching also revealed that finger-worn ring oximeters were generally more accurate/reliable than wrist-only ones. So not an excuse to buy a smartwatch or fitbit etc., which (AFAICT) are more suitable for fitness type use (the O2Ring would wobble about too much).

Importantly to me, it has a vibration-alarm, whose intensity can be configured. I specifically wanted something to wake one up if O2 fell too low.

I liked that it had pretty good reviews, such as this fairly detailed one

Also it was apparently (to some extent) medically suitable (e.g. "FDA Registered"). Which I guess means it's "not too bad".

Lastly, if I'm honest, it looked sleek, cool and comfortable: a nice change from the "clothes peg" type I had used a few times before. I'm sure there are other makes/models with broadly similar features, this is just the one I went for.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you DavidEsp for your comments!

I ended up purchasing the:
[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VW3VQKW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details][/url]

-Wellue O2Ring Oxygen Monitor with Vibration Reminder - Bluetooth O2 Pulse Oximeter Rechargeable, Continuous Recording of SpO2 & PR, Blood Oxygen Saturation Tracker with Free APP & PC Reports-

It is supposed to come today.  (I joined AMAZON prime for the trial period so that I could get one day shipping and signed up for the AMAZON card so that I could get $60 off  Shy )

Does this sound similar to yours?  Any tips on the use of it?  I too am on a MAC.

Regards.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, same one.
Tips? Loads, potentially, which ones !

Main tips:

Don't pair it to anything (not your mac, not any phone).
If you do ever want to connect it to a Windows computer, only do so via their special cable (with unusually long plug at one end), not a standard USB cable. Not sure about merely charging it.

If you use iPhone, their ViHealth app is the least-clunky way to view results. Quite slick in some ways. I screenshot its charts to my daily sleep (etc.) log via my phone's Notes app.

Also daily, I use the O2 Insight app (that the ring's instructions give a download link for), to download from the ring also to my macbook. It not only displays results but (necessarily, first) copies corresponding data files onto the mac.

Following that, I then upload such files into OSCAR, because OSCAR has a richer set of features and graphing capability than O2Insight. To get that data into OSCAR, you have to use its "Data > Import Viatom/Wellue" menu option (not via OSCAR's normal import button).

Although OSCAR is primarily designed for CPAP data, it works fine with just Oximeter data on its own, e.g. as from O2Ring/O2Insight.

There is also the option to "Share" (send) data from ViHealth app on iPhone over to the mac, arriving in the Downloads folder by default, then import to OSCAR from that. But I never use that.

But just take it one step at a time!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

I just printed your tips, I appreciate them.

Very excited to set up and try tonight.  Will be posting my results in my thread.  Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the finger worn device that hooks up to the wrist are the most convenient but it sounds like you got a good one too. It's unfortunate that most of these are very off brand products and no 'well known' manufacturer makes a pulse oximeter with easy connectivity options.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought my O2Ring off ebay "refurbished". It came from an electronics recycler in Denver, Colorado. At the time they offered $15 off, so picked up for $84.99 + tax. It did have 2 sets of data in it when I pair, but looked brand new. Came complete with box, instructions and charge cable. I picked up my Wellue BP machine the same way. Both are accurate. I took to the VA hospital with me and compared with their equipment last Tuesday.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 11 375 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,451 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  DO NOT use O2Ring. Use Iwearpulse bhavintu79 4 261 04-07-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
Question [Equipment] How does the CSV extract from Wellue SpO2 ring look like? Ayush Shrivastava 2 149 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Ayush Shrivastava
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,025 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 122 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 129 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.