Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Better flowrate at lower pressure
Better flowrate at lower pressure
This might be a silly question, but has anyone else with an Apap noticed that when their pressure is lower, their flow rate looks so much better? It seems the higher my pressure goes the worse my flowrate is. I am wondering if the Apap is going too high and causing me to be worse. Is that possible? If anyone can provide any information I would appreciate it. I have severe fatigue and am watching my life just blow right by me. I just want help. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Better flowrate at lower pressure
Everyone seems to have a different therapy need, and pressure, EPR and even auto vs fixed pressure are all variables that work differently for individuals. No surprise to hear your preference for lower pressure, but without knowing more about your settings or seeing a chart it's hard to offer more than agreement.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I greatly appreciate it. 

The first photo is a pressure range from 5-12. (I could not fit "snore" on the page.)

The second photo is when I changed the pressure to 5-9. You can see in this picture that my flow rate seems to be better at a lower pressure. I also did not feel any better at this range. I think statistics were about the same as 5-12.

I attached the snore to the 3rd picture since it would not fit on the first page, even after minimizing them vertically. 

I don't know if my flow rate looks good or not. I just know that I am still not feeling any better.  Please let me know if there is anything I can add.
Post Reply Post Reply
How are you evaluating your flow rate? What are you comparing specifically? Have you considered that when in REM sleep the flow rate will naturally look more choppy?

Also, you have some pretty big leaks to fix so perhaps the flow rate looks "better" considering your leak rate is lower at lower pressure range.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I didn't realize the leak. Thank you for pointing that out. I also was watching some YouTube videos about this guy saying that the flow rate is supposed to look smooth, so that's why I thought the choppy stuff was bad. He said you need a smooth line instead of a line that goes up and down. Additionally, when its choppy and I zoom in, the respiration shapes always seem to be abnormal when comparing them to the chart on apneaboard. I attached a photo of a close up of the choppy stuff. They are not round like it shows they should be. That is about the extent of my knowledge on this stuff. I am trying to learn a little.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is objectively no difference in the flow rates of the three examples your posted. The tidal volume and other respiratory statistics are identical and flow limit is almost unchanged. I think the flow limitation may be under-reported based on the close-up you provided and that is where you feel airway resistance. Usually, this would be most easily overcome with greater pressure support (difference between IPAP and EPAP), but that would only be available with a higher minimum pressure which you find less comfortable. EPR serves the same function as pressure support, and you are using a setting of 2. You do not get the full benefit of EPR until your pressure is 6.0 or higher because the minimum pressure of your machine is 4.0. So with a minimum pressure of 5, your delivered pressure is 5.0/4.0, and the EPAP pressure does not go above 4.0 until your pressure is in the 6.0 to 9.0 range.

My suggestion is to switch to fixed pressure to do some experiments with optimization. For example on the first night you could try fixed pressure with EPR 1 for a low pressure of 5.0/4.0. That could be followed with 6.0/4.0 by setting the pressure to 6 with EPR 2. Finally, try a pressure of 7.0 with EPR 3 for a 7.0/4.0 pressure. This sequence will let you evaluate the changes in pressure for comfort and efficacy without the complication of variable pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, for the suggestion. I will try this and see if it helps. I appreciate your explanation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 392 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 471 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,558 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,168 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 961 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,959 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 660 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.