Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bi-Pap at home
Bi-Pap at home
Hello Forum.

I have been using a bi pap machine at home for a little over 2 years now, my MAIN question is.
Will/Does Bi-Pap therapy train your normal breathing/ breaths to change after some time.

I want to share my info. so you can get a better perspective on things, maybe you are familiar with and it can help answer my question.

Starting years ago, I should have been wearing a cpap for having sleep apnea & being over weight. I would wear it hear & there, then I just stopped.

Couple yrs. ago I got COVID, I was in the hospital for a mo. I almost died. ( COVID lung/pneumonia /no oxygen ) my lungs are scarred now from being sick.

Anyways back to my question, as for my breaths, I know how they used to be after being in the hospital, but for the last 6-8 months, 
I have been noticing my breaths changing. And now for the last month my breathing has become heavy with only taking a few steps.

I have also started to feel more of  a shallow breathing.  
My oxygen seems to be back to going more on the down side then it was after COVID, but rises again as I do my nose inhales.

I do have OSA, HRF, and OHS
If any questions about anything please just ask.

While I am hear I have another question.

If I am pushing a shopping cart, or a rollater walker, I will walk & walk and my back will not hurt and I will not be out of breath.
But if I am standing doing dishes, or walking around normal & not holding onto anything, my back will hurt & I will get out of breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bi-Pap at home
Welcome

I'm so sorry to hear of your various breathing problems.  On this board, we can help each other with apnea-related issues, but not other types of breathing problems.  If you download Oscar, a free apnea-reporting program, and then post an Oscar chart of a night's sleep, we can help you get better treatment from your pap machine.  In the wide black panel at the top of every page, you will see a button labeled OSCAR.  That will tell you all about Oscar and how to use it.

As to your first question, using a pap machine helps you get much better sleep, but it cannot cure apnea or any other breathing problem.

I'm praying that your sleeping and your overall health will improve.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bi-Pap at home
(05-15-2024, 11:07 AM)Sleepy1974 Wrote: I have been using a bi pap machine at home for a little over 2 years now, my MAIN question is.
Will/Does Bi-Pap therapy train your normal breathing/ breaths to change after some time.

I've never experienced that and I've been using a bi-pap for 12 year. I've also never heard of it happening to someone else.

Quote:Anyways back to my question, as for my breaths, I know how they used to be after being in the hospital, but for the last 6-8 months, I have been noticing my breaths changing. And now for the last month my breathing has become heavy with only taking a few steps.

It's likely this is related to the lung damage you suffered. Definitely make an appointment with your doctor. This seems like something they will want a pulmonologist to look at.

Quote:If I am pushing a shopping cart, or a rollater walker, I will walk & walk and my back will not hurt and I will not be out of breath. But if I am standing doing dishes, or walking around normal & not holding onto anything, my back will hurt & I will get out of breath.

It could be the extra strain you are putting on your back and your core muscles to hold you in the necessary positions to do these activities. Again, something to take up with your doctor. Perhaps they will refer you to a physical therapist who can help you to exercise the right muscles to build up core and back strength.

Meanwhile, by all means keep using your bi-pap. As advised by Deborah, get OSCAR so you can download and share with us your data. There are a lot of things we can do to help optimize your therapy. Things that most doctors won't or can't do.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 83 7,942 06-05-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  At Home Sleep test results help madams239 4 152 06-05-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea at home test. no apnea in lab? Burrells5 4 305 05-22-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: cps22
  ADD DR. TO CPAP MACHINE; CAN IT BE DONE AT HOME? RainyDog 3 239 05-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: RainyDog
  Preparing for a home sleep study WisNaeMe 7 375 05-09-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 1,157 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 765 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.