Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Black tongue
Black tongue
After many months of inactivity with a Remoter M series, and in spite of careful cleaning of humidifier parts, new intake filter, and use of distilled water, individual arose in the morning  with a black tongue, and nausea.  
Device is set on 4cm. rising to 7.  It appears to be functioning mechanically  well.
Comments in regards to this are welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Black tongue
Probably a dumb question but did you clean your hose?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Any chance you took a stomach or digestive relief like Pepto Bismol? This is a known side-effect.

Not likely related to CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Used new hose.  No meds taken.
I thought it may have been due to something internal, perhaps a fungus growing on the pump mechanism, but I am not familiar with the internal workings of the REMstar Auto.
Thank you for your input.

Piloto.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's extremely unlikely (I believe impossible) that the amount of fungus or other microorganism sufficient to result in a black coating on your tongue could grow in the machine. It would require levels of moisture and nutrients that shouldn't be there. Is there any black residue in the hose or mask? If it came from your machine, some of it would have been deposited on those surfaces.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got a black tongue from an antibiotic issued by my dentist. It was a liquid antibiotic, but presumably it comes in pill form. Shocked the heck out of me....
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably not caused by the machine, look elsewhere.

Wikipedia has a complete article on "black hairy tongue". Have a read.

Good oral hygiene helps. Dentist checkup, make sure that gum disease is not a problem. Brush twice a day.
I suggest a tongue scraper to get rid of the excess tissue, and gently scrape the tongue twice a day until gone. If irritation develops, scrape with less force or less often.
To prevent it from coming back, brush the tongue every time teeth are brushed, it takes 5 seconds, will keep the mouth cleaner and reduce bacteria.
Smoking is one of the main causes of black tongue.
Dry mouth doesnt help, use humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, my appreciation for your comments and suggestions.  As a total newbie, I feel a bit intimidated in the forum, but your input is of huge help and peace of mind.

Piloto

Melamine:  Good point of the matter of residue on the hose or mask:  There was none whatsoever.

Piloto

Melman, that is.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Piloto,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was a kid they had this Gag Gum that would turn your tongue black. Hope you don't have any really mean friends.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 92 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 652 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 309 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [Treatment] Friedman Tongue Position Cantbreath95 2 1,245 12-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.