Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bleep mouth breathing
Bleep mouth breathing
I have tried tapping, mouth piece, full face mask, mouth spray - wash - nothing has helped my dry mouth. I wake up multiple Times each night to drink water. 

I read in a couple posts that the bleep mask stopped their mouth breathing?  Is this something that has worked for you people that use the bleep?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bleep mouth breathing
I don’t use the Bleep but can’t see how that would help. The air is going in at the same pressure regardless of the interface.

I have had issues since increasing my pressure and I couldn’t get any tape to hold when using a nasal mask.

So, I have been using an F20 recently and tape my mouth. So, FFM becomes a nasal mask. If I don’t tape air will come out of my mouth or I’ll try to breathe through my open mouth and get a ton of RERAs. When I tape my mouth inside the F20, the pressure inside the mask actually keeps the tape in place.

Has been working really well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
This might me a bit drastic but since I started using a soft collar (for positional apneas) it stops my mouth falling opening and therefore stops the dry mouth. I am a nose breather anyway so it was only an occasional problem but it might be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of you may find this interesting. I wrote about my own experiences trying to get my mouth leaks under control about a month ago. Here it is for your reference:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...er-control

Keep in mind that some of those solutions referenced may individually work for some people. Everyone's mileage varies and you have to try what works for you, personally.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be honest: how in the world would any nasal mask prevent mouth breathing?! With your mouth properly sealed there can't be any mouth breathing by definition. Wink But still your mouth may become a bit dry due to mask leaks.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am struggling at present with dry mouth, as I do from time to time. I am a mouth breather and, unless I'm prepared to use nasal decongestants every night (nope), I have no choice. I could tape my mouth, and that might work, but the side effect would be suffocation.

I can't offer a solution, but perhaps my own recent experience might add something. Because I suffer from dreadful cotton mouth, I have slowly ramped up the humidity setting. This helped but left me fighting rainout, which I kinda got under control, subject to the weather. However, I have been suffering a chronic cough that the docs couldn't fathom but it dawned on me one day that the excessive mucus that was causing the cough might be caused/exacerbated by water in my lungs due to excessive humidity. A week or so ago, I turned the humidity down and - voila! The cough has almost gone.

In it's place I'm back to the cottonmouth problem ...
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought chin strap, which cost 2 €. I use it with nasal mask P30i. It reduced big leaks (over 24 litres / minute) from 80 % of time to 24 - 35 % of time. ResMed has their own, but it costs 10 x more.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use and love the Bleep, but I don't see how it could help prevent mouth breathing more than any other mask. I do the tongue suck method, and that helps prevent mouth breathing.

For dry mouth many of us use XyliMelts. They work quite well. I got mine from Amazon.

Best of luck with whatever you try!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,167 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 382 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 808 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.