Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
RE: Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
Are you using the cream, the spray, or something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2020, 08:53 PM)edfreeman Wrote: Are you using the cream, the spray, or something else?

I am using the cream.  I may have actually used closer to half the container in a year.... but it goes a long way!  If I miss a spot, sometimes I still pull some skin/may bleed a little or have red skin.... but for the most part it works really well!  I just put on a really thing coat, let it set for close to a minute, and then apply the Micropore tape.  Without it, the Micropore tape destroys my skin!  It is bad..... ideally I would find a tape that I don't need the Cavilon but that is what I have for now.
Link removed, Search Amazon for 3M Cavilon Barrier Cream 3355.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
As part of this thread I thought I would share my own setup:

[attachment=26057]

The tape only comes in narrow format: so I use two layers.
I only want it to stick to my face: not my lips.
On the inside I use thinner white tape back to front, so nothing sticks to my lips.

Wash face/shower/apply some sort of cheap moisturizer to face around mouth.
Wait awhile...go read...watch telly...
Just before bed I stick the tape to my forehead to make it less sticky.
It lasts the whole night, comes off with some persuasion in the morning.

I do need to invert the lips to keep the seal.
I have learnt/adapted to ignore/sleep through the occasional leaks through the gap.

I need the gap to

1. allow me to drink water when I wake up in the night.
2. allow me to "vent." I don't like the complete mouth tape setup, I need the gap: currently best at around 20 mm. If I NEED to I can insert finger and breathe in through the gap. If I need to cough/clear throat I can do this through the vent.
3. Lastly: I think (no proof, just my thoughts) the gap allows me to vent excess pressure/C02/whatever as part of a homeostatic mechanism. I think (no proof) this acts as a Pressure regulator, or CO2 regulator: I note my wife who does not have apnea also occasionally vents through the mouth while sleeping, for around 5 or 6 breathes at a time and then no more:  so I figure this is part of how we are made.

Trial and error to find what works best for you, it can take a while.

Just lucky I don't have any allergy to tape, else i would have to try FFM again!

Full images here at this link:
MouthTapeSetup
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty new here so please take my addition with a grain of salt, but the type of tape I use to tape my mouth is kinesiology tape. I use it all the time on my knees and back, so it was just handy for me to use to tape my lips.
It's fabric tape that is meant to hold up to 1-2 weeks on the skin (like for knees), so it can hold up to a bit of moisture (since it's meant to go in the shower!)

I have used KT sensitive and spider tape, and both felt similar. Spider tape is only $3 canadian a roll, and it comes with 15 m of tape. It is also two inches wide, so I cut it down the middle since I only need one inch tall tape.

For the record I am not sure it's ok to go on your face, please check before applying and holding me responsible for any damage, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a new tape. I was going to use the 3M Durapore silk cloth tape but was worried it would stick too well like the Micropore (3M states it sticks even harder that the Micropore tape). As I said above, the Micropore will take my face with it when I remove it if I don't use the Cavilon cream. With the cream, it works well as long as I don't miss any spots where the tape is going. The problem with Micropore for me (in addition to it ripping my face off and the extra step of using the cream is annoying) is that it has low initial adhesion so I have to keep my lips compressed inward up for several minutes to make sure it will stick before relaxing. That being said, overall it worked and a 6 pack of tape lasted for over a year.

I took a chance on a new tape I found on Amazon called McKesson. It had excellent reviews but not enough reviews for me to feel it was the perfect solution. I got a 6 pack for $12 and at first I was a little disappointed. It had excellent initial adhesion and is thicker than Micropore (I believe it is similar to Durapore in thickness) but it does not breathe as well as Micropore and I had issues with it starting to lose adhesion 4 to 5 hours into sleeping and leak a little. It wasn't a big deal as I just would go to the bathroom and put a new piece on but still a bit annoying. It has not damaged my skin which is a huge plus! I have found if I really fold my lips and and compress them when I put the tape on, it will hold all night and in the morning it is on tight but not so tight it damages my skin. I would give it an 8 out of 10 for my use. The Micropore is more like a 1 out of 10 without Cavilon cream and a 7 out of 10 with it (only because the low initial adhesion, it is annoying to have to use the cream and air can flow through the tape if your lips open a little). McKesson also makes a paper tape which is likely worth trying as it would likely breath better and you can probably force you lips open and rip the take like Micropore if needed (the silk cloth McKesson tape is too strong to do this but it would probably work pretty well for BDSM.... especially in a 3 inch width lol).
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to say another big problem with the Micropore is it leaves sticky adhesive all over my face and it is hard to get off. I did find using a fresh piece of tape worked fairly well at getting the excess adhesive off but it is still a PITA. It looks ridiculous when you forgot it is there though!

The McKesson tape does not have this issue (it is rare I have any adhesive left on my face!). I still want to try the Hypafix tape but was feeling cheap and like trying something new that sounded promising.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ran through the first of two Nexcare blue tape rolls that I had on hand, and thought that I'd give Hypafix a try before I got too far into the second one. 

Long story short, Hypafix is by far my favorite tape now. Like edfreeman, I also find it has just the right amount of adhesion. Over the course of three nights, even with a short beard and mustache,  I haven't had a "tape blowout" once, which is something that I almost always had with the paper tapes and the Nexcare blue. Even though it adheres more strongly than the blue, it still isn't difficult to remove the next day, and it (somehow) even manages not to take my mustache and beard with it. (Wish that I could say the same thing with body hair and bandages that doctors apply after an injection.) The light-weight fabric composition of the tape both conforms to my mouth better, and feels "lighter" as well (as opposed to "there's something on my face"). I also have experienced none of the skin irritation or removal injuries that I had with previous tapes. It kind of reminds me of the "Cover Roll Stretch" base layer tape that I had my therapist start using during months-long shoulder therapy, after the primary tape alone caused some significant allergic reactions. (I was apparently part of the <10% of his patients who were sensitive to this kind of thing.)

The kicker is that Hypafix is also a lot cheaper than Nexcare blue, especially if (like me) you can get by with only a 1 inch width, and thus cut the commonly-available 2 inch width in half.

The only (minor) thing that I had to change was the way that I applied the tape: since the Hypafix is a light-weight fabric, my normal method of holding the tape by both ends and "strapping" it across my mouth resulted in a big fold in the middle the first time that I tried it. I'm finding that I need to apply it more gently, running fingers from center-of-mouth outwards. 

TL;DR version: for me, Hypafix works much better than paper or Nexcare blue, and is cheaper than the latter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 3M Transpore and it works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
Edit to reply with quote.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2020, 07:21 AM)brianc18t Wrote: I forgot to say another big problem with the Micropore is it leaves sticky adhesive all over my face and it is hard to get off.  I did find using a fresh piece of tape worked fairly well at getting the excess adhesive off but it is still a PITA.  It looks ridiculous when you forgot it is there though!

The McKesson tape does not have this issue (it is rare I have any adhesive left on my face!).  I still want to try the Hypafix tape but was feeling cheap and like trying something new that sounded promising.

I feel your pain regarding the tape residue issue. Before applying my tape for the night I press the strip on fabric such as a night shirt or my blanket. The tape still sticks very well to my mouth, but does not leave all of the sticky residue. If there is a little residue left on my mouth wiping with Witch Hazel works pretty well. BTW I have been using Transpore by 3M. Very inexpensive, but highly effective.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 9 1,308 7 hours ago
Last Post: bobcoleman
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 3 202 Yesterday, 07:17 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 161 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 925 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 128 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 667 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 227 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.