Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
RE: Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
I've used cpap for over 30 years. I used to do fine--no mouth breathing. I'm claustrophobic. So I don't wear a full face mask well. And I worked for 3M in the Cdn factory for some years The adhesive used doesn't like me after that. I've tried taping...
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Understood,

I don't wear a full face well either either I'm afraid. 30 Years, my gosh, I can't imagine what the industry might have been like when you began.
Glad you stuck with it. I've wondered about "what's in the tape adhesive" in a cursory manner but first things first I guess for folks whose immediate needs supersedes that question you likely know the answer to,,,
Post Reply Post Reply
Turning on the way-back machine...3M used to use solvent based adhesives in tape. And they switched to water based...about the time I left.

They had 4 tape coaters. Big wide web. The exhaust plume above the roof from the coater was very visible when the sky was dark. Seemed nasty...

I have no idea what adhesive they use in their tapes now.

30 years---masks back then used to last a long time. But mine were awful to wear. My machine was a cpap. It only gave run time. It was horribly noisy. I used it for 9 years.

Sleep docs---after a long while I'd realize that I felt awful and treatment wasn't working well. Maybe two months? So I'd call the sleep doc. The sleep doc would make an appointment. A *rush* that was scheduled 2 months later. I would discuss my symptoms. He would write a prescription to increase my pressure by one....maybe two. I'd call my DME supplier and make a *rush* appointment...

I am so grateful that we have OSCAR; more important...I'm so glad there are people here that help and make recommendations.

30 years...I just got an apap following guidance here. That was September? last...and I feel much much better after with the settings recommended.

Oh...other laughs. My first sleep study over thirty years ago they used solvent based glue to fasten all the contacts they needed. It took more than a week to wash it off! And the test was given in an old Nurse's Residence at the hospital. I saw bugs as they fitted me up for that first sleep study. I had horrible trouble sleeping...They released me about 6:15 in the morning with glue all through my hair and on my face, and body. I passed someone on my way to my car. They looked as if I was an escapee from the ward!

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
We all will appreciate the picture you described there Dave, Thank you,,,
It's really fitting you should be here, and I'm very glad you eventually got the apap,
New technology allowed the machines to do what the docs couldn't, and then the data found its way into the hands of those who really wanted to help you to make a difference. The worlds a better place when its population has had some decent sleep that's for sure,,

Be well,,

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Beautiful message Jim! Thanks.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, new here. Thanks to all for delivering so useful information.
Feeling more and more often a sore throat and being unrest at wake time, I've been trying painters tape from time to time and it worked quite well.
So well that I'm planning to use it on a everyday basis but, after a wakeup with a terrible chemical taste in my mouth, and some headache, I asked myself about the *toxicity* of the tape glue.
After all, we keep this industrial chemical product on our mouth for hours, above hypoallergenic concerns I'm sure we *ingest* some of it. Quite a few, I agree, but on a nightly basis...
I've switched to Micropore, ok it's medical grade, but even if it's designed to be put on wounds, is its glue safe to be ingested ?  Look, we put Betadine on wounds but in no way it is safe to drink some :-)
So does anyone have some information about this ?
Thanks,
Robert
Post Reply Post Reply
Yodado welcome to the forum!

I worked for 3M long ago. I did not work in manufacturing.
Way-back...3M made some of their tapes with solvent based adhesive; they made some with water based adhesives. I predict and know from experience that they will not reveal what the tape was made with. I suggest if you wish you can go online and even ask them questions. Suggest that you go with your gut feel Robert. Finally, the people here would reveal if they had concerns or side effects from using the tape on their lips. Caution though....there are so many products you must make sure that you are talking about exactly the same tape. Hope this helps.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2021, 03:51 PM)Whitenoise Wrote: Understood,

I don't wear a full face well either either I'm afraid. 30 Years, my gosh, I can't imagine what the industry might have been like when you began.
Glad you stuck with it. I've wondered about "what's in the tape adhesive" in a cursory manner but first things first I guess for folks whose immediate needs supersedes that question you likely know the answer to,,,

Actually I don't know what's in the tape adhesive.  I've watched it being made....but that was way-back.  It's magic mending tape that I became allergic to.  That was used for wrapping presents....transparent tape.

A tease--they made it in 5 foot rolls.  Then they would cut it into whatever widths they had sales orders to fill. Static electricity was a real problem when slitting it. That was with solvent based adhesive.  Now I would bet good money that the adhesive is water based.  It makes so much more sense.  

Long long ago they had 50,000 products. Now they have countless more, I'm sure. Make sure the tape you buy is exactly the same as the one described by the forum member that recommended it.

I have micropore tape I bought at the local drug store here in Canada.  It's far too sticky for me to use on my lips. It hurts when I take it off.  I can't detect any smell of solvent from my micropore tape.

You wondered what the industry was like way-back.
* it took me a year and a half to get my family doc to write a prescription to refer me to a sleep doc.
* It took 2 months to get an appointment
* I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.
* It took 2 more months to get a doctor's review and a prescription for a machine, mask and hose
* Then they warned me I might die if I didn't use the machine every night!

* Finally it got worse after that; after I moved I got a new sleep doc He was a terror. I used to read the awful reviews that others put on rate-my-doc and realize I wasn't the only one threatened by him. Toronto Ontario Canada

I swear I have PTSD. Post Treatment Stress Disorder.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using 3M Nexcare for Sensitive Skin (pale blue) for about 6 weeks and is the most successful tape thus far. I also purse my lips prior to putting the tape on thus avoiding direct contact with the lips.

The 1st time I used regular 3M Nexcare (white) I did not purse my lips prior to application and when I took the tape off my lips bled. Lesson learned.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much! I'll look for the *sensitive skin* version of the tape. And throw away the white tape I have.

Dave
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 108 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 4 253 04-23-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,378 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 165 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 938 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 139 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 677 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.