Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing Advice for PAPers – Not Machine Therapy Tuning
Breathing Advice for PAPers – Not Machine Therapy Tuning
I am starting this thread in hopes of everyone sharing advice related to PAP therapy but not wanting it to be tuning advice for the actual PAP therapy.

I am learning about other things to help my breathing problems that will impact PAP therapy but are not the tuning of PAP therapy. My intention is not to duplicate advice like Collars or Pillows but stick to the breathing itself. Stretching or anything that would improve breathing capacity would also be good. I started Pilates. I hear it is a goal of the exercise. 
Coffee

I am doing exercises to improve my diaphragmatic breathing. And when trying to follow instructions on how to breath with diaphragm muscles and through my nose, I have to admit my body appears to have forgotten muscles in the mid-section. And I am not that far overweight.

Use of Breathing Patterns
But other than using diaphragm muscles, there are interesting theories about breathing patterns you can consciously change.
  1. I have problems getting to sleep. There is a Sleep prep breathing pattern. I have heard of using special lights beaming up to the ceiling in a pulse pattern to focus your breathing for sleep. And then there are the many meditations and chants for breathing. But it can be as simple as a
    “4 - 2 - 4 – 2” pattern through your nose.
    Four seconds inhale through the nose. Hold for two seconds. Four seconds exhale through the nose. Hold for two. Repeat.This is supposed to mimic the pattern of breathing when you are in deep sleep. 
  2.  Calming yourself when stressed This would be a “4 – 4” pattern. Four seconds inhale through the nose. No deliberate pause. Four seconds exhale through the mouth. Repeat. 
  3.   Focus your attention. Breath full and fast diaphragmatic breathing 5 or 6 times through the mouth. Comes from the throat. Then hold as long as you can. Exhale slowly.
Huff Coughing
Used to move mucus in your lower airways to your upper airway. Not an actual cough. But very forceful exhales.
Start with a few deep breaths. Then take a big deep inhale and attempt to force it back out with 3 quick bursts of exhalation. Like a non-vocal ha, ha, ha. It can be helpful to raise folded arms and do a “Duck Flap” as you exhale.
-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 63 1,054 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Little Olive
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 53 758 27 minutes ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,502 29 minutes ago
Last Post: jcp519
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 543 34 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 260 11 hours ago
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 339 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,107 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.