Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing Issues
Breathing Issues
So I have been using my CPAP for almost a year.  Usually before I go to sleep at night, I use a nasal spray (most of the time Ocean, but recently Flonase) to help clear my nose and help with the CPAP.  The last several nights however I have had an issue with nasal drip and one or both of my nostrils clogging up after about an hour or so and I have had to sleep without my CPAP.  Does anyone else have this issue or can someone recommend something to assist with clearing the nasal passages to help with breathing in the CPAP?
 Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing Issues
It sounds like you are having allergies flare up. Flonase only produced moderate results for me. I've had a better response by using Benadryl.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What time of day do you use Flonase? I aim for about 2-3 hours before bedtime so that I’m getting the benefit but not having residual drip or irritation from the spray. My allergist strongly recommends using NeilMed nose/sinus rinse. Best to do that more like at least 3-4 hours before bed, because residual dripping is definitely a thing. Be sure to use distilled water per instructions, though I use tap for the post-use cleaning with soap and then give it a final rinse with distilled.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that is part of my problem...using Flonase just minutes before putting the mask on.  I will aim for trying at least 2 hours before...and I will also try the Benadryl.  I'm sure that will help with sinus issues but will also make me more tired.  Thanks for the replies!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been down this exact same path. I saw the sleep dr. and allergist about the same time 3 years ago. Started with Flonase with some relief. Finally started with shots. Best thing I ever did. My CPAP and allergy progress are almost mirror images of each other. To the point that I feel one effects the other (despite what both drs say). Last week I was very congested and took a pill, no help. Convinced it’s not allergies, I tried a saline nasal rinse. 

Eureka, after 5 days, my sinuses are clear as a bell. I am now a believer.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
This is well outside my area, but I have read that many of us/most of us have residual and chronic inflammation and infections from day-to-day.  Our systems keep it under control, but just.  Sinuses are one place where all sorts of crud resides, often heavily florated with bacteria of one kind or six.  Post nasal drip, especially for those of us who end up on our backs for more than ten minutes at a time, will likely cause inflammation in the pharyngeal tissues, and even in the nasal cavity.  Most of us also 'pick' our noses when we think nobody will notice.  Who knows what lies under our fingernails and on our fingertips.  If you'd like to find out, do a google search, but best done an hour prior to one's next meal...not after.

My father has had chronic problems with his sinuses and his nose.  He needed surgery when he was 13 to correct an overgrown septum and bridge.  He was never the same afterwards (this was in 1943).  When he experiences congestion and infections, he snuffs saline solution.  It's the only thing that keeps it under control.  It's unpleasant, but it works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 23 49 minutes ago
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,569 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 292 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 355 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 527 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 355 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.