Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Burning Smell?
RE: Burning Smell??
Great suggestions...
I have a ResMed S9 with a humidifier .
I sometimes have a burning smell. Mine is due to running out of water in the humidifier. It's either due to longer sleep, recent pressure increase and even adding too little water when I fill the reservoir.
The other thing I've noticed is that I need to be careful what's near the intake filter on the S9.

Hope this helps.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2018, 09:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: BCB3, I'd like to suggest you substitute dilute hydrogen peroxide for your sodium hypochlorite bleach.  Both are oxidizers with strong antibacterial capability, but the peroxide has a mechanical action (fizz) and degrades to water, while the bleach is more difficult to rinse and has a residual odor.  Peroxide costs less than $1.00 per quart at Walmart, and it goes a long way.  

Daily rinsing of the humidifier chamber and allowing to dry should prevent biofilms from forming.  I sometimes use a brewer's sanitizer Star-San, properly diluted as a rinse, and that prevents any problems, and is odorless and safe.  Chlorine bleach is not good for you or the equipment, and there are better choices; however, it's your choice to make.

+1 on the H2O2. You can also stick your humidifier in the top shelf of the dishwasher (if you use the DW daily).

I've had burning smells from running out of water but nothing else so far. I doubt the climateline gets hot enough to burn anything. Check and clean the intake filter too so the fan isn't straining to pull in air.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replys so far.  I just want to add something for those interested in this subject.  I had the problem arise a couple more times (not as bad but same smell) and became really worried that it could be the machine.  BUT NOW I have determined it is definitely the clear slime and was probably built up in the hose.  The ridiculous part is that I had been lazy and using Costco Kirkland bottled water and to my surprise this appears to be the reason for the buildup.  On a hunch I bought some distilled water by the gallon and was amazed to see that I was getting back my 2 weeks of running without even a hint a slime.  So there is either something in the costco water or something about it that makes it grab stuff out of the air more.  I am re-evaluating where I am going to by my drinking water. I may even have it analyzed...  Seems like the last time I had any troubles with that slime was when I used to use tap water years back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming the source of the problem was the distilled water, it might have just been a bad batch.

For most Kirkland products, as with other store brand products, the product is not manufactured by Kirkland. It's sourced from a manufacturer that manufacturers for many different brands.

Chances are pretty good that Kirkland distilled water is the same water as Great Value, Equate, PC, or even name brands.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like Kirkland products too.  Which is why it was such a disappointment to realize.  The water is simply marketed as quality filtered water and not distilled.  It appears to be little more than de-chlorinated tap water IMHO..  I am tempted to run a few more batches through my machine and then take the concentrated leftovers off for testing and evaluation...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Burning Smell?
I stopped using distilled water in my humidifier a couple of weeks ago. Been using tap water and doing fine. 

I empty the water reservoir each morning and then dry it. No build-up issues of any kind. No more hassle of trying to keep distilled water on hand.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
My RT recently told me - while hitting home the importance of regularly cleaning the mask - that the mask gets the same slime as the humidifier tank. It made sense once he told me that. I think I had been living in denial.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read a few descriptions of the same problem I am having. a burning smell, but with a chamber that is not empty, and the smell only occurs after at least six hours.

My AirSense 10 is about five years old and I have ruled all of the other possible culprits, including the power pack, the location of the power pack, the cleanliness of the chamber, the hoses, the mask, filter. Water quality, you name it. 

I am trying to leverage my corporate contacts at ResMed. We’ll see. In my case, this issue only started a week ago, and after I arrived in Mexico. However, I have traveled to many locations in Mexico over the past five years — many — without an issue.

Possible Causes...just my opinion:

1. Motor heat buildup after 6-8 hours. But why did that just start to happen, and here?

2. Power surge or inconsistency issue in Mexico. But why would that consistently manifest after the same number of hours, every night? And again, I have traveled to dozens of locations, some rural, without an issue in this country.

3. Humidifier Sensor Issue. Perhaps, after the water level drops to the first line, somehow the sensor (if there is one) is reading empty and somehow adjusting. The burning smell is consistent with an empty tank.

I am troubled by those who claim that this is a chronic issue with the machine, after having experienced it in multiple machines. That suggests a motor or software issue.

I’ll report back of/when I penetrate the ResMed organization. Clearly there is an issue with this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2019, 02:32 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: My RT recently told me - while hitting home the importance of regularly cleaning the mask - that the mask gets the same slime as the humidifier tank.  It made sense once he told me that.  I think I had been living in denial.

I've yet to have any kind of residue build up on my mask. I use Clorox anti-bacterial wet wipes on it, and they have been doing a great job. 

I've been using the ResMed F20 or F30 mask. I clean my mask about every 3-4 days or so. Longer, if I should happen to forget.  Oh-jeez

I get some slight mineral build-up in the water reservoir, but never any slime. A little White Vinegar and it's gone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2020, 12:00 PM)dukesteer Wrote: I have read a few descriptions of the same problem I am having. a burning smell, but with a chamber that is not empty, and the smell only occurs after at least six hours.

My AirSense 10 is about five years old and I have ruled all of the other possible culprits, including the power pack, the location of the power pack, the cleanliness of the chamber, the hoses, the mask, filter. Water quality, you name it. 

I am troubled by those who claim that this is a chronic issue with the machine, after having experienced it in multiple machines. That suggests a motor or software issue.

I’ll report back of/when I penetrate the ResMed organization. Clearly there is an issue with this machine.

Have you experimented with the filter?  

Some have suggested it could be a filter situation - that of the particles of the filter coming into the machine and burning(?).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,814 6 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,228 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 439 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,659 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed Airsense 11 very warm to touch with burning smell Sweet72947 0 1,468 08-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Sweet72947

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.