Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CA while "awake" or "restless"
RE: CA while "awake" or "restless"
(09-11-2019, 09:40 AM)alexp Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 09:17 AM)Wcwilson Wrote: Hello everyone,
I've been using an ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset, DreamAir Nasal mask for almost two weeks now, and behind the scenes have been reading a ton of posts, tweaked a few things here and there, but not yet finding consistency.  It is great that there are so many folks here to support each other.  

My prescription was 5/14 with EPR 3. I'm running manual humidity at 5 after experiencing dry mouth.  I'm no longer using the ramp feature.

Last night I went to bed at 10, the power went out at 12:30 approx. and back on a little before 1:00.  I woke up at 5, and went to the bathroom.  At that point I felt good, even thought it was later in the morning, but after seeing the time went back to bed.  From 5 to 6 I alternated between being on my back and being on my left side.  What I find curious is that I have a cluster of CA's during this period where I don't feel like I'm asleep at all.  Additionally, looking at the pressure, the ResMed doesn't increase the pressure to give me more flow (at least that's my interpretation).  

Most nights my AHI runs 5 or 6.  Approx. 3.5 are CAs.  Last night seems to be an anonomaly so looking for some real interpretation of the data if possible. The only slight tweak I had last night was I loosened the strap on the back of my head slightly because I was experiencing some discomfort under my nose (which I understand is common for the first few weeks of therapy).

I have tried to attach the Ocscar generated screenshot but its 878 kb, which exceeds the 700kb limit.  I've reviewed the Attachments wiki but not seeing what I need to do to correct this.  If someone can help me with that I will post the image right away.

Thanks so much!

The best way to know if a central is real or not is to look at your tidal volume. This is not an absolute rule but in general, if you see a big jump in tidal volume right before the CA event, it usually means you were awake or you woke up.

Incredible.
I have so much to learn!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you are finding it useful. Last night was best night yet, but still didn't get an answer from my last question about EPR and pressure to reduce CAs. My question now becomes how can I control my settings to help me get back to sleep as quickly as possible after my bathroom break.

I've found it very useful just to peruse others' questions. A lot are similar in nature but all useful information from the moderators and other users.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2019, 01:03 PM)Wcwilson Wrote: Glad you are finding it useful.  Last night was best night yet, but still didn't get an answer from my last question about EPR and pressure to reduce CAs.  My question now becomes how can I control my settings to help me get back to sleep as quickly as possible after my bathroom break.  

I've found it very useful just to peruse others' questions.  A lot are similar in nature but all useful information from the moderators and other users.

I've been doing this a long time (30 plus years). You are teaching me things I wish I knew some time ago.!

I've only just started using EPR. In other words, my cpap has blasted at the same pressure all this time.

I have the same concern. Last night I was done-like-dinner. Two bathroom breaks. When I returned to bed after the second one I had trouble falling asleep. That was about 4:00 am.  I tossed and turned; OSCAR tells me I had a bunch of CA's.

My machine isn't sophisticated.  It is sturdy. It fell upside down on the floor a couple of days ago and survived.

I believe my last night troubles were my own fault.
* took my blood pressure medicine late (forgot to take it in the morning); my fault. Took it at 4:30.  water pill....Last thing I need is to take a pill that makes me pee about that time of day!
* I went to bed early  (9:30 or so) that's very early for me. 
* I tossed and turned; my Garmin watch tells me so. (reaction....to stress?_)
* lots of stress--I took a short walk about 6:30 pm; should have gone longer.
* I'm not using the hose handler I have; I get tangled up in my hose, and that was how I pulled my cpap off the nightstand.

My take--pay attention to mods here; they know so much more than I do.
And I believe there are lots of factors that make me toss and turn. They come from me living life, working and such.

I'm looking for help here too.

I've been working hard here to find out if there's something simple that I can do with cpap to change my quality of waking life.

I'm on a quest to improve sleep quality.

You're on the right path.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
WcWilson, the changes in your settings seem to have improved results. By reducing EPR, your flow limiations are indeed higher, but CA events are significantly reduced. As we progress I think moving towards a narrow pressure setting will help. With pressure at 8 to 11 cm without EPR, we see flow limitations continue to drive pressure without a lot of benefit. A fixed pressure of 10.0 is starting to look pretty good to me. Sometimes fixed pressure can really help sleep quality as pressure changes are taken out of the equation. Not sure if you're ready to try a CPAP pressure of 10, but I think it might feel less disruptive and I don't think it will interfere with your therapy efficacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. I think we are on the same track. I had set it to a set pressure of 8 the other night, and liked the result. I was thinking I wanted to increase it a little as sometimes I feel like I still can’t get enough air. Also, I’m seeing my med pressure hovering around 10 anyway. I’ll take it from 8 to 9, then 10 over the next few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
This kind of independent decision making is the best approach. You will know when things are ideal or if you over-shoot, and none of us can tell you how you "feel". I'm pleased to see you taking control and doing what works for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 719 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 670 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 523 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 488 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie
Question [CPAP] Are AHI levels artificially lowered if you run CPAP while awake? sleepydragon 0 499 04-04-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: sleepydragon
  APAP - Elevated pressure while awake? chris94546 8 1,246 04-04-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Dr.Bob

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.