Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CA while "awake" or "restless"
RE: CA while "awake" or "restless"
WcWilson, the majority of your events are central, and may be related to your use of EPR at 3 as well as the relatively wide-open range of pressure of 5-14. Where obstructive apnea occur, they are tightly clustered. If you are open to trying something a bit different, I'd like you to try a night with lower EPR and a tighter pressure range. EPR at 0 or 1 and a minimum maximum pressure range of 8.0 to 11.0. The objective here is to get the OA under control by reducing the disruption of pressure changes, and avoiding EPR, other than what you need for comfort. If we see obstructive events continue to be clustered, we can deal with that separately.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Wcwilson,
First thing to do is turn the EPR setting to 1 or off.  Let’s see if that brings your CA’s down.

If not, and if the CA’s continue at the same high rate, you should talk to your doctor about an ASV machine, as an ASV is the standard treatment for Central Sleep Apnea.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with SleepRider on the pressure too. But definitely lower the EPR to 1 or preferably 0 if you can.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Should I increase starting pressure and/or try a collar
I think this thread was split in error. I was commenting on charts posted by wcwilson. I see that the issues I was flagging have now been addressed by Sleeprider and OpalRose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your great support.  You are my new BFsF!  I will first try and set the EPR to 1 or zero.  When I first got the machine, the CPAPStore I purchased it from had it set at zero, despite the prescription indicating EPR 3.  At the time, I was having a difficult time with the pressure bloating me and forcing me to open my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given your history of aerophagia my suggested maximum pressure of 11 may be helpful. The suggested minimum pressure of 8 is also based on your chart showing 5-cm does not meet your needs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was best night yet.  EPR set to 1.  Everything else the same.  95% pressure at 11.18. med at 7.3, max at 12.51.  No real issues with mouth breathing.  Most of the CAs were clustered in the last hour of sleeping.  Will carry on with this setting through the weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 09:25 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: WcWilson, the majority of your events are central, and may be related to your use of EPR at 3 as well as the relatively wide-open range of pressure of 5-14.  Where obstructive apnea occur, they are tightly clustered.   If you are open to trying something a bit different, I'd like you to try a night with lower EPR and a tighter pressure range.  EPR at 0 or 1 and a minimum maximum pressure range of 8.0 to 11.0.   The objective here is to get the OA under control by reducing the disruption of pressure changes, and avoiding EPR, other than what you need for comfort.  If we see obstructive events continue to be clustered, we can deal with that separately.

So, over the last few days I've taken your advice and taken EPR to 0 (zero), and pressure range to between 8.0 and 11.0.  Last night was good, and I've attached my data for the night.  There were a lot of leaks which I wasn't really aware of but I believe they primarily have to do with bringing the minimum pressure up from 5.0 to 8.0.  I can deal with that.  OAs were essentially non-existent.  Once again, I clustered CAs (all between 10 - 24") right before I got up at 5:45 tired of tossing and turning.  What I noticed from the higher pressure was that I felt like my breathing was quickened, and generated a little anxiety.  I read everything I could find on CAs, EPR, etc., but I never quite got the theory as to why you wanted me to increase the minimum pressure.  If the reasoning is that by forcing air up my nose I have to breathe, then mission accomplished!  Similarily, I see the EPR as more of a comfort setting now and utilizing that feature (dropping the pressure on the exhale) allows me to stop breathing, is that correct?
I'm inclined to carry on with these settings for another day, or continue on to a suggestion on eliminating the clusters.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2019, 09:29 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Wcwilson. Welcome to Apnea Board.

The centrals you describe are commonly known as sleep-wake junk. During the transition from sleep to wakefulness (and vice versa) our breathing gets quite erratic, often with long pauses, especially if we move around during this period. If a pause exceeds 10 seconds, it's flagged as an apnea. It's really a false positive and can generally be ignored.

The Autoset doesn't respond to central apneas. It diagnoses the type of apnea while it's happening - if it's obstructive, it will raise the pressure to prevent another one occurring in the next little while. However increasing static pressure is contra-indicated for central apneas.

If your screenshot is that size my guess is that you're using a Mac with a retina screen. There is a known problem with the way Macs capture screen shots which will be remedied in the next release of Oscar. Is it possible to reduce your screen resolution?

This is an incredible post.
I woke up with the same schedule Bed about 9:30;  up at 6:40
Problems from about 4:00 am. after a rushed pee break. Had problems until I got up.

sleep-wake junk

I like that.

My machine is a ResMed S9 E; I have EPR set at 3
I sometimes mouthbreath. I use a chinstrap.
I have a humidifier.
Pressure is 14
Mask is a ResMed N20.
AHI last night was 2.6 IIRC.

My question is: how do I improve my treatment.

Thanks to the OP for such a specific post. It's helping me learn "what I don't know I don't know"
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2019, 12:07 PM)Wcwilson Wrote: Last night was best night yet.  EPR set to 1.  Everything else the same.  95% pressure at 11.18. med at 7.3, max at 12.51.  No real issues with mouth breathing.  Most of the CAs were clustered in the last hour of sleeping.  Will carry on with this setting through the weekend.

Wonderful! I'll read more posts. 

This is so helpful. 
You're teaching an old dog new tricks.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 157 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 774 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 760 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 709 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 568 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 513 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie
Question [CPAP] Are AHI levels artificially lowered if you run CPAP while awake? sleepydragon 0 527 04-04-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: sleepydragon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.