Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CAN MY AHI INDEX GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS?
RE: CAN MY AHI INDEX GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS?
Flow limitation, RERA and hypopnea are all common features of your sleep. These can be better treated with pressure support.  I am going to copy a response often used by bonjour that discusses why we like Resmed vs Philips, and what bilevel is.  It's a lot to read, but may help.

Quote:ResMed AutoSet Dreamstation Auto comparison
Why ResMed?
1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. ResMed Responds to Flow Limits
   PR responds to Snores which is advanced flow limitation
3. Lower average pressure (PR require a higher pressure to ward off obstructive events)
4. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
5. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
6. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2, or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
7. EPR follows your breathing whereas Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
8. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
9. In general provides better therapy.
I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ReaMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy. 

What is BiLevel?

BiLevel 101:
Pure CPAP delivers a single constant pressure.  This pressure is what splints open the airway.  APAP (AutoSet) is what we prefer to see as it can vary the pressure to suit the situation.  For now, let's forget about APAP.

Basic BiLevel delivers two fixed independent pressures, EPAP is Exhale Pressure and is what actually splints the Airway open, It is the equivalent of "Pressure" in a CPAP and does the same thing.  
IPAP or Inhale pressure is the higher of the two pressures.  Once the Obstructive Apneas are resolved with the Exhale pressure (EPAP), IPAP is used to resolve hypopneas, flow limits, RERAs, and UARS.
The difference in these pressures is called Pressure Support or PS.  PS is always added to EPAP by convention to get IPAP so IPAP = EPAP + PS
FYI if you were to set the EPAP = IPAP you would have a basic pure CPAP functionally.
The above info is derived from Titration guides.

BiLevel 102:
BiLevel models are not interchangeable.  Each is designed for a specific condition.
up rate.  On the most basic level this is fully applied everytime.
Backup rate is the frequency in breaths per minute that the BiLevel will initiate.  The basic BiLevel does not have this feature and instead just follows your breathing with a mode called Spontaneous or "S".  Timed mode or "T" initiates a 'breath' at the defined 'rate' in breaths per minute.  How effective this is varies by individual and the settings defined includine EPAP, IPAP, and PS.

The Auto CPAP such as the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is typically the initial machine of choice for treatment of obstructive apnea and hypopnea

Just to clarify The VAUTO, ASV, S, and the ST are all BiLevel machines for treating different conditions, they are NOT interchangeable. They are not a choice between them to treat a single condition.

They should be chosen to treat the specific condition that the user has, Here are the various CPAP Modes and what they are designed/intended to treat

The following info is from the ResMed Sleep Lab Titration Guide
  • * CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) Fixed pressure delivered with optional expiratory pressure relief (EPR). It Treats OSA
  • * AutoSet/APAP (automatic positive airway pressure) Automatically adjusts pressure in response to flow limitation, snore and obstructive apneas. It treats OSA
  • * AutoSet for Her/APAP Automatically adjusts pressure in response to flow limitation, snore and obstructive apneas along with an increased sensitivity to each flow-limited breath, providing a more comfortable therapy for women. Increases sensitivity to each flow-limited breath, providing a more comfortable therapy for women (OK for men too). It Treats OSA
  • * VAuto Automatically adjusts pressure in response to flow limitation, snore and obstructive apneas; Pressure Support (PS) is fixed throughout the night and can be set by the clinician. It Treats OSA, non-compliant OSA
  • * S (Spontaneous) Senses when the patient is inhaling and exhaling, and supplies appropriate pressures accordingly. Both treatment pressures are preset: inspiration (IPAP) and expiration (EPAP). It treats Non-compliant OSA and COPD
  • * ST (Spontaneous/Timed) Augments any breaths initiated by the patient, but also supplies additional breaths if the breath rate falls below the clinician’s set “backup” respiratory rate. It Treats COPD, Neuromuscular disease (NMD), Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS) and other respiratory conditions
  • * T (Timed) Supplies a clinician-set respiratory rate and inspiratory/expiratory time, regardless of patient effort. It Treats COPD, Neuromuscular disease (NMD), Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS) and other respiratory conditions
  • * iVAPS (intelligent Volume-Assured Pressure Support) Maintains a preset target alveolar minute ventilation by monitoring delivered ventilation, adjusting the pressure support and automatically providing an intelligent backup breath. It Treats COPD, Neuromuscular disease (NMD), Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS) and other respiratory conditions
  • * ASV (adaptive servo-ventilation) Targets the patient’s minute ventilation, continually learning the patient’s breathing pattern and instantly responding to any changes. It treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB)
  • * ASVAuto Provides an ASV algorithm plus expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) that automatically responds on the patient’s next breath to flow limitation, snore and obstructive sleep apneas. It Treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB)
  • * PAC (Pressure Assist Control, also known as Pressure Control) The inspiration time is preset in the PAC mode; there is no spontaneous/flow cycling. Inspiration can be triggered by the patient when respiratory rate is above a preset value, or delivered at a set time at the backup rate. It Treats Neuromuscular disease (NMD), pediatric patients

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. Read the information and I am more confused. Final question: If you were in my shoes, would you buy the RESMED AUTO BIPAP?.

Lets assume money for a used or new is NOT  a problem.

My best,

Jose
Post Reply Post Reply
COULD YOU PLEASE SUGGEST PRESURE FOR MY AIRCUVE VPAP AUTO
Hello: Ordered the Resmed auto Aircurve Vpap you recommended. Could you please suggest pressure settings based on the data I have submitted here?

Took a little to order the machine because not long ago I bought the Dreamstation, have to pay out pocket and don't live in the USA, I have to pay import duties, delivery etc.

Pressure on my Dreamstation last night was 14.5 and 7.0 hours usage, AHI of 5, average 30 days was 2.9
I feel positive my sleep will improve.

Thanks.

Jose J Rosales
Post Reply Post Reply
Jose, start with the following:
Mode Vauto
EPAP min 9.0
PS 4.0
Max Pressure 18.0

This will start pressure at 13/9 (IPAP/EPAP) and allow up to 18/14. This is all within your current pressure range but provides the pressure support you need.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Finally I received yesterday my Aircurve 10 auto bipap. Could you please check the numbers you sendt me, because you mention the will allow the pressure to go up to 18/14. I don't understand where the 14 comes from if the PS number you recommend is 4.
Please review if is 4 or 14?. Is my first night tonight.

My best,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
14 is the EPAP and 4 is the PS. Add these together to get 18.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are assuming Vauto mode, so with those settings the pressure can range from 13/9.0 to 18/14.0 (IPAP/EPAP), and the machine will self-adjust to optimize pressure.. Quizas no me entiende?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. I set the EPAP minimun in 9, the PS in 4 and the Max pressure at 18.

I hope I understood fine.

APPRECIATED.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks right from here.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SWITCHED FROM AUTO CPAP TO BIPAP
Hello: Upon your advice from you at the SAB, I finally got my Aircurve 10 auto BIPAP.  This is my third night and attached is some data.
I will appreciate if you could take a look and let me know if there is any need for more adjustments. 

The AHIs are similar to ones I got treated with the AUTO Dreamstation, wich it even achieved sometimes a little bit lower AHIs. But, because is not my expertise, I can not compare the overall performance in treatment in the two machines.

This Resmed BIPAP is very comfortable and with a very intuitive menu. Just a few things I don't understand such as the Ti Max a=2.0 s, and Ti Min=0.3s, that came with these setting almost everything else is somehow similar.

Will appreciate your input and advise. Sleep medicine here in Honduras is very limited and now with Pandemics the protocol at hospitals more complicated or not help available either.

Thanks,

Sorry forgot the Data, here it goes:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 270 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Pressure] Improving CA Index InertToxin 1 447 07-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: InertToxin
  Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2? gwatuk 22 3,168 12-07-2021, 04:02 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Central Apnea Index of 2 Yet Dreaming of ASV Sleeper396 2 686 09-13-2021, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  NRAH: Non-Responsive Apnea/Hypopnea Index verysincere 1 668 03-31-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What is SpO2 Drop Index' cmcphee 1 2,254 10-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Question on sleep titration study -- arousal index, uars dcg494 19 2,857 12-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.