Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CMS50D+ import issues
CMS50D+ import issues
Hello,
I am attempting to import recordings from a contec CMS50D+ (version 2.0.1) into OSCAR 1.2.0 on ubuntu 20.04.
The wizard does not detect the oximeter and I suspect it has something to do with drivers?
(I'm accustomed to linux already having all useful drivers integrated in the kernel which is why I'm unsure/confused about this)
I'm hoping somebody else is already doing this on linux and can give me a swift kick in the right direction (please/thanks)
lsusb shows the device "Bus 001 Device 038: ID 28e9:028a" but there is no /dev/ttyUSB anything.

bonus question: can I update the oximeter's firmware? if yes, where can I find the firmware and how?

Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CMS50D+ import issues
Hi moarZs - Welcome

The direct import protocol built into OSCAR was written for the prior CMS-50 firmware version. The CMS-50 manufacturer has updated the communication parameters in version 2.0 and it no longer is capable of a direct download. You will need to find a way to obtain the SpO2 file to use with OSCAR.

The firmware is burned in at the factory without any provision to update it thereafter.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for digging out that device ID. Here is what I find in the Linux list of USB IDs:
28e9 GDMicroelectronics
0189 GD32 DFU Bootloader (Longan Nano)

As you can see, 28e9:028a is not included. This will probably make support difficult, but not impossible.

ETA: Just to make life interesting, I can't find a website for GDMicroelectronics

At the moment, the only solution is download the Windows software and use it to create an SpO2 file. This is less than satisfactory for Linux and Mac users.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2021, 01:57 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi moarZs  - Welcome

The direct import protocol built into OSCAR was written for the prior CMS-50 firmware version.  The CMS-50 manufacturer has updated the communication parameters in version 2.0 and it no longer is capable of a direct download.   You will need to find a way to obtain the SpO2 file to use with OSCAR.

The firmware is burned in at the factory without any provision to update it thereafter.

- Red

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to confirm we are talking about the same versions.
The wizard has an option for CMS50D+/E/F and for CMS50Fv3.7+/H/I or CMD50D+v4.6
The oximeter I expressly ordered to use with OSCAR (having consulted the information in the wizard and on this forum beforehand) is the
contec CMS50D-BT
hardware version 2.0.0
software version 2.0.1
Do you still maintain I will not be able to pull recordings straight from OSCAR?
Thanks for the advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2021, 03:34 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Thank you for digging out that device ID. Here is what I find in the Linux list of USB IDs:
28e9  GDMicroelectronics
0189  GD32 DFU Bootloader (Longan Nano)

As you can see, 28e9:028a is not included. This will probably make support difficult, but not impossible.

ETA: Just to make life interesting, I can't find a website for GDMicroelectronics

At the moment, the only solution is download the Windows software and use it to create an SpO2 file. This is less than satisfactory for Linux and Mac users.

Thanks for the reply.
Can you please state the exact model oximeter you are successfully using with OSCAR 1.2.0 on linux?
Do you know if using this Windows Sp02 software via Wine is possible?
I saw some python scripts and other tools on GitHub for a slightly more "native" approach to pulling recordings from these oximeters.
Do you have any experience with them? Would you know what the simplest and most reliable solution for my oximeter would be?
Thanks for your input!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried Wine and Windows 10 & 7 in VirtualBox.  The USB-serial connection would never complete to allow for downloading.  I hope you have better results.  

The CMS-50 people somehow changed their version numbering system.  From all appearances, it looks like they went back in the numbering.  The newer firmware has been on the market for about a year.

There is an Android app that advertises it can read the Bluetooth signal from CMS-50 models.  However, its approval rating is lower than my credit score.  I would not hold out hope on that one.

Using the term, linux app for cms-50 oximeters, returned some possibilities.  I would need to play with them before any recommendation can be made.

I hope that you may find or stumble across a resolution to this.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The version 2 CMS50F is the newer version - makes no sense, I know. So yeah if yours is using the version 2 hardware and firmware, it won't work. I have an older CMS50E as well as a new CMS50F, one works, the other doesn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2021, 09:00 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I've tried Wine and Windows 10 & 7 in VirtualBox.  The USB-serial connection would never complete to allow for downloading.  I hope you have better results.  

The CMS-50 people somehow changed their version numbering system.  From all appearances, it looks like they went back in the numbering.  The newer firmware has been on the market for about a year.

There is an Android app that advertises it can read the Bluetooth signal from CMS-50 models.  However, its approval rating is lower than my credit score.  I would not hold out hope on that one.

Using the term, linux app for cms-50 oximeters, returned some possibilities.  I would need to play with them before any recommendation can be made.

I hope that you may find or stumble across a resolution to this.

- Red

Sorry, but I'm still not making any progress. I dug out a dusty old computer with win10 on it and am not able to get Sp02 Assistant to find/connect to the oximeter even though it shows up via USB under devices. (no clue how to get bluetooth to work but that isn't important unless there is a way to do it on linux) I tried installing the latest driver from this year on silabs website but it makes no difference. Isn't there a simpler way to just dump all recordings from the oximeter? Having a windows computer just to install Sp02 Assistant which I don't want or need just to dump the data that oscar needs seems kind of ridiculous. I tried searching for linux solutions as you suggested but they are either for other combinations of equipment, or outdated, or incomplete, etc... Somebody on here must be using this oximeter on linux..? I could really use some more advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will need to use, Smart Device Assistant 3.1.0.1, instead of SpO2 Assistant. This is because of the newer comm parameters of the CMS-50 are not in SpO2 Assistant. Most users report that there is a web address inside the oximeter's box for downloading this piece of software.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks for the heads up. I was able to download that app in another thread. The installer registers an oldschool ocx resource file but otherwise looks identical to the other app.
Anyway, I was able to pull the recordings from my oximeter with this version Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 71 5 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 87 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Rescan app [doesn't see data import] kerm007 3 138 03-24-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,335 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  OSCAR SpO2 CSV import ST Dog 20 2,707 03-15-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: capman
  import data from Philips Alice NightOne into OSCAR FHTC 6 262 03-09-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 233 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.