Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI?
RE: COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI?
Just a guess, but let's see what happens with PS min 2. That would potentially allow PS mas 7, but we can hold onto that based on what you see. I would change to ASV auto and keep max IPAP the same.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
will try it and check back in a couple weeks. TY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a new sleep study last month, and would like your feedback. I'm not happy where the doctors want to go...

To recap my saga, I'm still dealing with the severe gastric aspiration and recurring hiatal hernia issues. I'm still dumping stomach acid into my lungs and having the cough, shortness of breath, and sever fatigue everyday. I have a new battery of GI testing coming soon and hopefully another hernia revision asap.

I'm still on an ASV + oxygen at night; my AHIs are consistently < 2. My pressures are what Sleeprider suggested above.

I've been doing CBTI since Nov '23 and it's not working. I'm still only getting 2-3 hrs of unrestful sleep, then maybe a couple catnaps until the alarm rings each day.

The new sleep dr thinks I should go to a Bipap and not the ASV. I don't think that will help, nor understand their rationale- they think I have a ventilation problem. I have predominant central apneas and very few if any obstructives, and have been on the ASV for 4 yrs. During the study, I had a short nap, then awoke, rolled over and got back to sleep- so basically the same sh*t that happens at home. They tried me on a backup rate and I couldn't adjust to it- the inhalation would cut off mid breath and suffocate me, then during exhalation it would switch back to inhalation. That kept me awake more than anything.

I also did not see clearly how many awakenings or arousals were reported on this study, compared to the 60+ from June.

The one thing I've been bitching about for years is although the machines are doing their jobs correctly, I'm not getting much benefit from the therapy. My AHIs are low, the ASV is providing the breathing and stopping the apneas, but I'm not sleeping properly nor getting much rest. If you look at my N3 scores from the studies, I'm not getting much, if any, N3 sleep or recuperation. So staying in bed for 5-6 hrs still results in very fragmented and unrestful sleep. I'm beginning to think I may need some neuro help and analyze the brain waves as to what's causing the fragmented sleep. But I have to convince the sleep dr to quit playing whack-a-mole with machines and pressures.

My recent study is attached and any help is greatly appreciated. The one from last June is available in a previous post (note: 0, I mean ZERO, N3 sleep reported on this one).

MHR

Attached Files
.pdf   VA Sleep Study 02152024_Redacted.pdf (Size: 844.46 KB / Downloads: 3)
Post Reply Post Reply
I disagree your ventilation would be improved with spontaneous bilevel therapy. Your ASV therapy is highly modified to accommodate your aerophagia and gastric issues.  Your recent titration test was performed using BPAP S (spontaneous fixed pressures) at 10/6 with a breath rate of 10/minute.  That delivered a continuous PS of 4.0, and was probably mostly triggered breaths.  Notably, the efficacy was poor with a residual AHI of 4.75.  They followed with ST (spontaneous/timed) with breath rate of 10, but didn't go that way for some reason. The table in that titration report is incredibly hard to read without the columns lining up, and I'd love to see it as a CSV file or table.

Anyway, just for the heck of it, let's compare the titration with your use of ASV with EPAP 7.0-8.0 and PS 4-9.  We are getting much or more "ventilation" because the PS 4 to 9 rather than a static 4-cm. Your PEEP on ASV is higher at 7.0-8.0 cm-H2O which is higher than their test, which means in theory, your oxygen profusion should be better, especially since your AHI residual is a fraction of the titration results (.26 to .55). I don't see any prospect for static BiPAP to be more comfortable or efficacious than what you are getting on ASV, so explain to me in plain language why that is even an attractive option?  You seem to have more than your share of problems with your gut and maintaining good SaO2/PaCO3 balance, but why would you try to fix what is already optimized.  Any pulmonologist should be able to look at the parameters for your ASV therapy and the proposed BiPAP and understand the the ASV meets all the expectations of BiPAP-S and more with a much lower AHI and better comfort.  Sheesh! Dont-know
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just say no, hold your ASV tightly. Instead of them trying to fix what's broken, they're wanting to break what's fixed.

At this time, regardless of numbers, what is wrong with the ASV, in therapy and in feel? There's only a few settings to edit, however we can try to slide things around to help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will try these new settings and check back after in a week or two with an oscar print.
I agree switching to a Bipap is a waste.

Sarcastic- I'm only getting 2-3 hrs of sleep + maybe a couple catnaps each night. I don't take any naps during the day, and even when I try to snooze I can't. I feel like sh*t all the time and have no energy for anything. My wife says I have the opposite of narcolepsy.

Mucho grassy ass, amigos!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR High AHI Frequent CA's - New to CPAP nixontahoe 9 365 03-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.