Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 15 days, tolerate mask okay, but so tired
RE: 15 days, tolerate mask okay, but so tired
I practically bathe in lavender for aromatherapy, but I have not tried the nose strips.  I have those (also lavender-scented) in my medicine chest.  Thanks for that suggestion. 

I'm using all suggestions from this forum and find all helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Insomnia occurred to me yesterday when looking at my numbers.  I fear that because I struggled with insomnia at another time in my life and it was dreadful.  At that time, I tried using a full-face mask that made it all worse.  That's why it took my 10-12 years to get back to it.

Member Robysue thinks my brain is leery of the new contraption and needs time to adjust.  I think that makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for reposting.  Now I can find everything in one place. 

I did something different last night.  Read a book, instead of watching TV, and also took a drugstore sleep aid (all natural supposedly: chamomile, melatonin and lavender).  This was on top of my normal RX pill.  I think I slept 11 p.m. to 10 a.m.  I feel foggy today but seem more rested and have enough energy to be doing a little housework.

I don't know if taking two pills is good or bad, but I do start to go nuts with no sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tess, my experience was similar. I used to sleep nine hours and fall asleep the moment my head touched the pillow, then with CPAP, I'd lay awake for an hour and in the middle of the night again for an hour or two. I hated that, but still felt more rested than before CPAP. It lasted about six months until I could sleep normally again and through the night. It's definitely worth sticking it out.
Also want to mention that any screen time before bed is not good, especially a laptop that sits close to the face, as the bright screen actually tricks the brain into thinking it is daytime and prevents the production of melatonin. When I was working in family support, cutting out screen time an hour before bed was my standard advice to parents who would complain that their children don't fall asleep/stay in bed.
Good luck with your therapy. You can do this!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Russatrice. I will keep trying.  But today I accidentally napped for two hours.  Just wanted to lie down for a minute and, boom, I was asleep. 

This is the second nap I've had in the two weeks since I started CPAP.  The naps make me feel rested and  refreshed; the CPAP does not.  It's hard to resist the lure of a lovely nap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2017, 08:38 PM)Tess Wrote: Thank you, Russatrice. I will keep trying.  But today I accidentally napped for two hours.  Just wanted to lie down for a minute and, boom, I was asleep. 

This is the second nap I've had in the two weeks since I started CPAP.  The naps make me feel rested and  refreshed; the CPAP does not.  It's hard to resist the lure of a lovely nap.

I occasionally nap without CPAP, it's not the end of the world. Big Grin

Eventually, naps won't be needed as much anymore when your energy level starts increasing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am thinking about giving up despite the "gold stars" I keep getting from ResMed MyAir.

Last night, after a fitful few hours of on-off sleep, I took off the mask and slept 4-5 hours without it.  I am tired today because 4-5 hours isn't enough for me, but I still feel better than I have in the 29 days of using the mask.

With the mask, I wake up with no energy but plenty of irritability, fatigue and depression.  Is it worth it?  I'm thinking not. 

Doctor appointment is next week; I am trying to stay neutral, but I really think he is going to be just thrilled that I'm sleeping with the machine and that's that. He will say whatever other issues I'm having will just take time to resolve or they are medical/psychological and not in his purview. 

From the beginning, I have not fully understood what is going to happen in my body after six months or one year or whatever of CPAP. I have read about white matter in the brain, but the doctor never mentioned that.  I have read about damage to my heart, but I had a cardiac workup 3 years ago and was deemed okay. 

I have read a nice piece about going through stages, including denial and depression, that you might go through after any traumatic event (like being sentenced to be tied to a machine for the rest of your life).

I am 66.  Should I spend a year of my life unhappy and fatigued to accommodate CPAP? Why? What exactly am I preventing? An early heart attack or stroke?  I have, for years, been at risk for a cardiac event or stroke because of family history. My medical doctor never suggested CPAP. I asked her for the order to see the respiratory doc.  

I just don't know what I am doing, and, gosh, I have the blues.  (I have a history of "situational" depression, which was nicely under control, until I started this.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you still do not have an SD card, and whether you have posted any results, but there are some things that could explain your symptoms - which we might detect if you do post a detailed chart.

If the current CPAP pressure setting is not treating you well, you could easily be getting less sleep than without CPAP.

Do you feel comfortable making changes to your pressure based on suggestions made here? (we haven't made any as yet, I am guessing, since there is no data provided by you.)

I sure hope you'll find a way to determine if CPAP is the right device for you. Your longevity and comfort are what we seek.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's always something, as Roseanne Roseanna Danna would say. 

The HD slot on my PC  does not work.  However, I have just inserted a new HD card into the ResMed machine.  It did not come with an HD card; we were told to just call the DME place, which would transmit data to the doctor.  Aaargh.  If there is data on the HD, I will have to figure out a way to transmit here. 

Thanks for responding.  The idea that I am really not getting enough sleep (even with the MyAir "report" that I have slept 10 hours) is somewhat soothing.  Maybe I'm not crazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called the DME and have received a report for the month.  I was told this is the only data that is collected and this is what the doctor will get.  Is there anything in this you can analyze.  On what basis is the doctor going to be able assess changes needed?

Attached Files
.pdf   KWIATKOWSKI_THERESA (3).pdf (Size: 121.72 KB / Downloads: 86)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 72 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 137 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,221 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 224 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 133 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 125 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 213 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.