Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AHI normalizing, last night was 1.6...but confused as to why
AHI normalizing, last night was 1.6...but confused as to why
Hello, fellow cpapers!  

So I am brand new to Apnea Board and using cpap.   I'm using a Resmed Airsense Autoset 10 for her with Airfit P10 nasal pillows.   

My AHI was 34 before starting therapy about 3 weeks ago.  After starting therapy my AHI was at first ranging from 10-15.  Over the last week it has been 4-10.  And now last night it was 1.6, lowest it has been.  I haven't changed anything over the last week, but had added a chin strap and breathe right strips sequentially about 1-2 weeks ago.  My pressure range has remained the same throughout, as has the mask leak rate.  Before anyone asks, I am not using ResScan or Sleepyhead, but I plan to start using them (as soon as my insurance declares me compliant and I can stop being paranoid about my data being accidentally erased from the smartcard Unsure ).  

So my question:  I am really curious as to why my AHI has "normalized" with minimal tweaking.  Is it just practice?  Is there some other physiological reason for it?  (I am one of those people that always needs to know WHY...)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI normalizing, last night was 1.6...but confused as to why
Hi Kithri,

Welcome to the forum. I am not an authority or any kind or an expert, I am only a patient. I have been using the male version of the same machine you have for a little over two years. My AHI normalized over a several week period and took several months to finally get dialed in. Now it is fairly stable, averaging around 2.7 over a period of time. It goes up and down but rarely goes much above five and occasionally down to one or so. I haven't worried about chasing numbers for quite a while. I am good with the numbers as long as they are generally less than five. I am so much better than I was before treatment. My sleep patterns and alertness during the day are "normal". It took me about six weeks to really feel the difference. I was better after a few days but continued to get better.

I felt like my body/brain were learning how to sleep normally again and not having to struggle to maintain the proper oxygen level. I am now experiencing all of the sleep cycles, light, deep, REM, and etc. That took a while.

I am a science/tech guy and like to know the "why" as well but the outcome is the truly important parameter.

I am sure you will get much more scientific answers from others.

v/r
Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kithri,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

You have to keep in mind that while the CPAP machine is a highly accurate device, you are not and you are strapped to it!   Grin  Awake breathing can resemble sleep disordered breathing.  It could be that as you have gotten more used to the machine, you have fallen asleep faster and slept deeper.  That is a reasonable explanation. As your mind and body adjusts and gets used to CPAP and heals you will experience months of very gradual changes.  

Welcome back to life!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone!

Hmmm.  I think I was lying there awake a lot at first, and I am falling asleep faster.   I don't dread putting on the gear quite so much anymore, especially after seeing the proof that it is helping me with the lower numbers.  I'm still only feeling just a little better, but I'll take that for now.   I am certainly dreaming more than I have in a long time....
Post Reply Post Reply
yay. it sounds like you are on your way. congrats.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 356 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 716 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 525 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 464 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.