Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] After 5 months – AHI good – Still have questions about flow limitations
After 5 months – AHI good – Still have questions about flow limitations
Hello All,

I found therapy very difficult to begin with.  Mouth leaks precluded anything but a full-face mask.  I was troubled by the OSCAR reports showing many CA events and sporadic CSR (as interpreted by the AirSense 10).  I was anxious and slept very poorly for some time.  It was worth persevering though.

After some experimenting, I have settled on pressure set to Min 10 and Max 14 with EPR at 2.

The multitude of CA events and occasional CSR turned out to be nothing to worry about as per the reassuring advice from the experts on this forum.  No CSR for months now.  CA events continue but are "consistently inconsistent" and have dwindled to what I hope is insignificance (0.50 last 30 days).  AHI is down to 0.94 average for the last 30 days.  Last night I achieved my first 0.0 AHI!  I am feeling significantly better but it was a gradual process.

I am still curious about flow limitation levels.  My 95% average over the last 92 days is stated as 0.11 although it seems quite variable and I wonder what is a good target.  I can sometimes correlate clusters of higher flow limitations with RERA events.  I am wondering if there is room for improvement.  About six weeks ago I experimented briefly with EPR set to 3 but that increased the CA events so I dialed it back to 2.  Perhaps I should just leave well enough alone and leave things as they are?

I welcome all comments and accounts of other’s experience.  What is your 95% Flow Limit and how significant are  flow limitations to how you feel?

Regards,
Dave Hutchinson

PS: One minor OSCAR anomaly: With regard to Flow Limits, it seems odd that that the max values in the graph (spikes) are depicted higher than what is stated as the max (or peak) value for any given day?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: After 5 months – AHI good – Still have questions about flow limitations
Remember the flow limits are 50% obstruction not timed. So the highest spike is 50% obstructive
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 104 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 269 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 161 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 316 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,618 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.