Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Air Blowing Out of Mouth
RE: CPAP Air Blowing Out of Mouth
I would not give or take advice for using tape over mouth. Always the possibility of aspiration with any kind of tape. unfortunately I have seen the effects of that happening so no matter how low risk it might seem it is always a risk.
Post Reply Post Reply
The safer route is to use a full face mask. No need for chin straps, taping etc. (I have a real problem with taping - keep having visions of waking up unable to breathe and unable to strip off the tape). I note the OP has a problem with rosacea - perhaps a simple mask liner such as Remzz or Pad-a-cheek could help there. These are cloth liners which fit between the mask cushion and your skin, thus preventing direct contact with the silicon of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2018, 10:32 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You can practice this technique anytime, during the day and at night.  Eventually keeping your tongue in place will come natural.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

Almost exactly the answer I was going to give.  It really is just a matter of learning to keep your tongue positioned to seal the airway at the back of your mouth.

It's funny, when I first started CPAP, and was getting accustomed to doing that, I used to goof around showing my wife how long I could hold a whistle. :-) Lots of air coming out my mouth.  Now... I actually *can't* let it flow through like that anymore.  It takes physical effort to open the airway that much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2018, 06:04 PM)Dean22 Wrote: I would not give or take advice for using tape over mouth. Always the possibility of aspiration with any kind of tape. unfortunately I have seen the effects of that happening so no matter how low risk it might seem it is always a risk.
There are risks inherent in any kind of therapy.  In my case, and quite likely in the cases of those who elect to tape, the risks of dying due to untreated apnea outweigh other risks, including those of aspiration.

I don't know that anyone ever does advise the use of tape.  We state that we use it ourselves when those asking for help report that they are having trouble adapting to full face masks or pillows and must use a nose cushion.  And, then that a collar or strap haven't solved their mouth breathing, either severally or jointly.  That is why I cautioned the OP about making sure the other methods were necessarily ruled out.

Thousands of us tape, and do it night after night.  It's up to the reader to decide if she wishes to follow suit.  Remember, the whole point of the exercise is therapy.  Comfortable therapy.  It is incumbent upon each of us to determine for ourselves, heuristically, what that means.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think anyone advises a user to use tape, but there are some people out there that have tried everything do tape. It is their choice and I wouldn't recommend that anyone do it, but I do mention it, but i do add that I wouldn't recommend it myself.

Air coming out of the mouth is a problem that can be difficult to clear up.
Even a chin strap done up tightly will not stop air escaping, nor will a collar, but they both help with the mouth dropping open.
However, air will escape through the lips and this is hard to deal with.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the full dreamwear mask, it has the nasal pillow but also covers the mouth with a very soft silicone.

I cant post full links yet.    philips.com.au/healthcare/product/HC1133430/dreamwear-full-face-cushion-underthenose-full-face-cushion

This is a add on if you already have the dreamwear, or can be purchased as a full mask.

I am not really a mouth breather, and I found the dreamwear range far superior in comfort to resmed Nasal range. Or other I tried.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep2Snore, YMMV always applies. a new firm c collar properly worn (not too loose) significantly reduces my lip flutter mouth leaks to well under the red line.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2018, 01:31 PM)sheepless Wrote: Sleep2Snore, YMMV always applies.  a new firm c collar properly worn (not too loose) significantly reduces my lip flutter mouth leaks to well under the  red line.

Maybe it does, but I find it does not matter even if I use both, I still get air leaking through my lips, after it dries my mouth it get almost impossible to stop unless I take a sip of water.  It is very little air, but after my mouth dries out, it gets worse and so does my AHI.
If I lie on my back when this starts   Rolleyes  bigger numbers.
However, I have got it back down to 3AHI again.  Now I have said this it will rocket.
I have had a good few 0.0AHI, but they are getting a bit illusive.
If it is 3 or less there is a   Smile on my face.

According to the wife, that is not very often, but then I tell her it is living with her that did that!   Big Grin
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
have you tried clothespins? ? jk, jk. for your mouth leaks I mean. sometimes I'm quite sure my wife would put 'em on me if I let her!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried several full face masks but could not manage the leaks without really tightening the straps. Chin straps did not help either.
Did try no-name cervical collar once but it was really inconvenient. Maybe other brands will work better.
For now, the combination of nasal pillows mask with 3M micropore taping is much, much more convenient with really zero leaks for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 105 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 109 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 811 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 632 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 360 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,252 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.