Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] At 74 years old - I could do with some help please.
RE: At 74 years old - I could do with some help please.
Hi, Ben  

Here's a links to another reference how to fit masks:

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! | Apnea Board

Also, if you search for your specific mask on YouTube, you'll find videos showing how to adjust it.

Many of us starting out have found it helpful to spend with CPAP on while reading or watching television in order to get used to the sensations before trying to sleep with it.  I did that for two or three days initially.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like the ResMed N30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ben.

Cushions (masks) can be a very difficult thing to settle on. I used to use a RedMed F20 and liked it at first. But my face measured precisely between the medium and large sizes. And neither really worked consistently well. I could use an F20 as a backup if necessary. I later found the ResMed F30 and have been using it for several years. I really like the way it functions and the openness of the upper nose and eye area.

I did product reviews on both and may be found here:

The Half-Size ResMed AirFit F20

ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips

Many different styles exist. I hope you can find a winner quickly. I thought I was going to be heavily invested on a drawer full of ill-fitting masks with no joy of anything usable. I've been told my puppy snout was to blame (see my avatar).  Oh-jeez

Anyway, you can read many more product reviews as posted by AB Members here:

CPAP Mask Reviews

There are a few mask models that seem to be more popular than others, and the ones mentioned throughout this thread will probably be in the fan favorite list. If you have a DME that will let you try different models, that would be great. You can also check the CPAP Supplier List and contact sellers to see if they have a try-before-you-buy policy. I believe some of them do. Probably most do not. But worth investigating.

OK. Now you are drinking CPAP information from a firehose. Please keep us posted. I wish you quick success in all regards of finding your optimal combination of xPAP products and settings.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose , I'm going to try my full face mask tonight , so thanks for the advice (  change the setting on the machine to full face .)

Ben.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Lucid 

I'm going to now check out the link you provided ( How to fit masks ) I had not thought about using my CPAP while watching TV , another great tip. 

Ben.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more change, but Opal nailed the mask issue. Too tight is a very common issue for new pap users and often the mask is the hardest thing to get right.

Your flow limits are high, please set EPR=3, that's it for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks RayBee for your comment and links and the very interesting content , I Love the  '' Now you are drinking CPAP information from a firehose''

Ben.

Many Thanks Gideon , your advice and suggestions are much appreciated. I will now set the flow Limit to = EPR 3

Ben.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ben,
Just seen your first graph as had family over. I will try be as brief as possible and keep it to bullet points hopefully avoid giving you "information overload".

Your graphs are perfect with the key elements well in place.
Your settings at the moment are pretty good and avoid changing too much until the leaks environment is under control. (Leaks distort the workings of the algorithm and can increase pressure and general discomfort, as well as falsifying results)
Masks and leaks are big subjects. I will just focus on "too loose or too tight". Lying down with your mask on, then switch on the machine. On the screen, watch the pressures build up and start to stabilise a bit. Lying on the pillow, move your head a bit from side to side,. maybe pushing a bit with your finger to see where the point is that leaking occurs. Then tighten to a minimum until the leaks stop. I wouldn't do this using the run ask fit option as would be blasting probably at maximum machine pressure. Also you get an idea on how the indicated pressure values feel.
Mask choice is very much an individual thing. I found FFM difficult with the air noise from the outlet port. I use a pillows mask with a diffuser on the outlet port which acts as a silencer. So quiet so I can sleep. Only downside is that my mouth drops down during deep sleep and air rushes out. Got to tape it up. Got used to it pretty quickly.

Sorry, lots to absorb in a short time, and you will select what is best for you. All will settle down soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you a side sleeper or a back sleeper? The cradle masks seem to work best for back sleeper who do not actively move around.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Expat31

Many thanks for your advice and comment , its really appreciated , finding the correct mask and then sorting out any leaks is some thing that I’m really hoping I can achieve. Last night I wore my full face mask for the first time , it reminded me of photographs that my dear old dad use to show me when he was a WWII fighter pilot . Smile

Ben.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 175 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 336 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Incorrectly on ASV for several years rickresmed 2 148 04-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 214 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 250 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,150 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 777 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.