Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Auto-Mode
CPAP Auto-Mode
For about 10 nights or so, I've had the auto-mode activated on my machine for ramp and climate-control. I seem to be doing well with those settings. 

It's also cooling down nicely here in the high country of AZ. It got down to about 45 or so last night. I'm going thru more water in my CPAP reservoir. I fill it close to MAX and pretty much go thru it all.

And, I'm back to using my AirFit F20 mask and I haven't had a leak since August 27th according to myAir. It really does seem to work the best for me. 

I'll still mess around with my AirFit F30 every now & then, just to see if I can get it to seal better. I do like it a lot, but it's just finicky. If there's a way to make it perform better, I'm gonna try to figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Auto-Mode
Glad that things are improving for you.

Can’t help with the mask, but my motto is to use what feels and fits best.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2019, 11:57 AM)Big Guy Wrote: For about 10 nights or so, I've had the auto-mode activated on my machine for ramp and climate-control. I seem to be doing well with those settings. 

It's also cooling down nicely here in the high country of AZ. It got down to about 45 or so last night. I'm going thru more water in my CPAP reservoir. I fill it close to MAX and pretty much go thru it all.

And, I'm back to using my AirFit F20 mask and I haven't had a leak since August 27th according to myAir. It really does seem to work the best for me. 

I'll still mess around with my AirFit F30 every now & then, just to see if I can get it to seal better. I do like it a lot, but it's just finicky. If there's a way to make it perform better, I'm gonna try to figure it out.
The F30 is certainly more finicky. What I like about it though, is that it makes easier for me to be a nose-breather. Like other hybrid masks, it provides a pressure differential in your nose, helping to hold it open, and reduces the pressure differential in your mouth, helping to hold it closed.

If I recall correctly, you are a confirmed mouth-breather, so the F30 may hold little advantage for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2019, 09:29 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 11:57 AM)Big Guy Wrote: For about 10 nights or so, I've had the auto-mode activated on my machine for ramp and climate-control. I seem to be doing well with those settings. 

The F30 is certainly more finicky. What I like about it though, is that it makes easier for me to be a nose-breather. Like other hybrid masks, it provides a pressure differential in your nose, helping to hold it open, and reduces the pressure differential in your mouth, helping to hold it closed.

If I recall correctly, you are a confirmed mouth-breather, so the F30 may hold little advantage for you.

Yes, you are right. I'm a die-hard mouth breather. But, what I did notice, was that when I was using my F30, it made it quite a bit easier for me to breathe thru my nose. I could do so for quite a few minutes, but sooner or later, instinct took over and I was back to mouth breathing. 

Another thing I really liked about the F30, was that if my nose itched, I could scratch it. That's impossible to do with the F20. I'm now used to my nose itching and I just ignore it. Or....I sneak a finger under the seal of my F20 and do my best to rid myself of the itch. 

I'm not gonna give up entirely on the F30. When I first got it, it was fine. No problems! However, the leaks started and they ended up being big ones. I have extra cushions for it and I might try a brand-new one and see if that helps any.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you figured out a way around the leak.

(09-21-2019, 11:57 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I'll still mess around with my AirFit F30 every now & then, just to see if I can get it to seal better. I do like it a lot, but it's just finicky.
(09-22-2019, 09:29 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: The F30 is certainly more finicky. What I like about it though, is that it makes easier for me to be a nose-breather. 

I wish I spent more time with my DME a couple weeks back. He brought the nose only into the house and I immediately vetoed it due to the mouth-breathing from congestion/deviated. So, he swapped it out for the F30 and it felt alright, but I'm struggling with leaks. I've tightened the mask so much that my jaw/teeth hurt a couple of nights. Now, I'm trying to get it as loose as possible, but am struggling to find that sweet spot.
Post Reply Post Reply
The F30 doesn’t need to be tight, but it does need to be even. I’d start by just holding the mask up to your face with the air on to get a feel for how snug it really needs to be against your face and the bottom of your nose.

That said, I have one F30 cushion that will not seal no matter how it is adjusted. I eventually realized that it has a wrinkle in the seal. Two others are fine, and don’t have that wrinkle.

I think I posted pics in the F30 review thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to being a mouth-breather, I'm also a side-sleeper. Sometimes, on the verge of lying on my stomach to some degree as well.

That means my mask tends to get buried in my pillow at times. The F20 is pretty stable when I sleep on my side. The fact that it covers all of my nose, tends to keep it in place. 

Between the F20 and the F30, I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm going to check the cushion on my F30 and see if it appears to be any different than the new cushions I have for it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 679 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.