Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Blows My Mask Off After Awhile
CPAP Blows My Mask Off After Awhile

This is my first time posting here.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea probably 6-10 years ago.  I then started using a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP machine, which I'm still using.  I've used different masks, currently the QuattroAir Airfit F10.  The last couple of years have been a disaster from the consistent use of CPAP point of view.  Whenever I go to sleep with the CPAP, everything is ok for 1-3 hours.  Then I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel.  The CPAP is blowing so much high pressure air that the mask won't stay seated.  I've tried the supposedly correct way of using it, getting the cushion full of air then keeping the mask just tight enough, I've tried tightening the mask very tight as I've been told by the CPAP folks.  Nothing helps.  I've had my sleep person & the CPAP person show me the "right" way;  but I'm not going to sleep then so they never get to see the problem.  I've had the CPAP machine serviced.  I had a sleep study within the last year or so;  they said my CPAP was working right, correct pressure, etc.  But they tried different equipment on me & I didn't sleep very much that night because of the environment.  So I doubt I used the CPAP long enough for it to misbehave.  Now I'm just not using the CPAP most nights which would awaken me without solving the problem & getting very little sleep;  I feel much more rested when skipping the CPAP than using it.

So I'm hoping this board will help me solve the problem.  I'm attaching a screenshot from Oscar.

Any ideas!  Thanks for your help!

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Blows My Mask Off After Awhile
If the head strap harness is too tight, when you roll over maybe or as you drift off to sleep laying on your side, you put pressure on the silicone seal portion of the mask and it shifts, as so if it's to loose. Your Amara mask doesn't fit around the bridge of your nose and isn't supported as much as a fuller face mask. So the noise might be air escaping between the mask ad your face. From time to time my P30i shifts sometimes, as I described how yours does. But with me my Central Apneas, I believe, wake me.. so I shift around more, for now.... hopefully soon.. I'll sleep better. That's my take....
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to change masks. You are apparently using ramp from a minimum pressure of 4.0 for 15 minutes, and every time your machine hits 6-7 cm pressure your leaks are out of control. This is simply a mask that does not fit and will never work. We have seen masks not get "blown-off" up to the maximum pressure the machine will generate. Quit fighting the mask, and get one that works or turn off ramp so you get the right fit before starting. A pressure range of 8 to 12 cm is not very high. If you have never tried nasal therapy, give the Resmed Airfit P10 a try. Tiny mask with no noise, and as long as you don't leak from the mouth, it's very quiet and comfortable. If you don't make a change in masks, this attempt at therapy will en like the last. Your problem is not CPAP it's the mask. Please read the Mask Primer wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
Let's try some new settings.

Ramp off
Min pressure = 6
EPR = 2
Max pressure = 10 for now.

Try for 1 night then repost
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion.  Tomorrow I should have some time to figure out how to change these settings & will try the cpap tomorrow night.  I'll get back to you with the results.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2020, 04:09 PM)milboltnut Wrote: If the head strap harness is too tight, when you roll over maybe or as you drift off to sleep laying on your side, you put pressure on the silicone seal portion of the mask and it shifts, as so if it's to loose. Your Amara mask doesn't fit around the bridge of your nose and isn't supported as much as a fuller face mask.  So the noise might be air escaping between the mask ad your face. From time to time my P30i shifts sometimes, as I described how yours does. But with me my Central Apneas, I believe, wake me.. so I shift around more, for now.... hopefully soon.. I'll sleep better. That's my take....

This mask is much more finicky (even when it's working) than my previous mask.  So I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about it being the wrong mask.  The mask you suggest looks great ... so minimal compared to what I've been using.  Unfortunately, I'm a mouth breather, so it won't work for me.  BTW, I have both central & obstructive sleep apnea.  I have an extra length of hose inserted in my tubing to deal with the central.  Any other mask you'd recommend.  My first mask was an Amara View.  It worked well for awhile, at least from my perspective.  But after awhile, my sleep doc didn't agree after reviewing the detailed graphs of my breathing.  Things have been going downhill ever since!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Tell me about your EERS setup, and how you started using it. This is an important part of what you are doing and may impact the advice we would give. A picture of your setup would help a bit with that. I assume you mean e one 6 inch length of coraflex tubing inserted.
Here is our EERS Wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS)
and our wiki on Treatment-Emergent6 Central Apnea in which EERS is one of the treatments mentioned. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...tral_Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
You could use a chine strap and not have to be a mouth breather. I haven't crossed that road for face mask. It's hard to recommend a mask... fit is important, which is comfort, but function is important too. When I went to pick up my machine, the girl asked me face mask or nasal pillow? I said I ain't wearing no face mask. Sad part is they only give you one or the other and then within the first 30 days, you can switch out and keep the first set up. But the nasal set up didn't bother me until after the 30 days. I changed the pillow to a different one, and then just learned how to fine tune the tension on the harness. It would have been nice to have both due to congestion. Insurance companies are not that generous.

In September I'll get a nasal mask so i can switch out from pillow to mask. But I have to wait till another 6 months to get a face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Mask Primer, see my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2020, 08:36 PM)bonjour Wrote: Tell me about your EERS setup, and how you started using it.  This is an important part of what you are doing and may impact the advice we would give.  A picture of your setup would help a bit with that.  I assume you mean e one 6 inch length of coraflex tubing inserted.  
Here is our EERS Wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS)
and our wiki on Treatment-Emergent6 Central Apnea in which EERS is one of the treatments mentioned.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...tral_Apnea
Dmorgen I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions here......

From what I gather on the write up, it's basically a safety feature in case the machine quits and allows you to continue to breathe through the safety valve. Unless it has benefits I'm unaware of? 

"prevent the side effect of central apnea" it says.... and "EERS creates a larger dead-space by moving the mask vent to a position further down the tubing toward the xPAP machine."  Does this set up enhance the performance of Bilevel machines?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 87 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 361 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 411 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 295 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 915 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 761 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.