Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Buying Advice
CPAP Buying Advice
Hello,

I'm 36 year old male, diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (AHI=67.8, Obstructive Apnea=97%, Apnea Index =65.1 lowest O2 saturation =79).
Doctor recommended an AutoCPAP after a CPAP trial which showed AHI reduced to 2 & Apnea Index to 1.6 .
DME is recommending ResMed Airstart, however I see  its not a recommended model.
I'm confused
     1. if I should go for an Airsense 10 Autoset...?
     2. Should I buy online which is less costly. Does buying online has some drawbacks...? 
     3. CPAP trial was done with a mask, however I see  a lot of positive reviews on using nasal pillows. Which is better...?

Appreciate your advice/thoughts on above.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Buying Advice
Once you get a machine from a supplier - you are on your own. It does not matter where you get your machine. You will get more help from the people on this site than months of going through supplier, Dr, supplier - back and forth.

Look on the suppliers list at the top of this site. Supplier #2 is low priced, you can buy new, open box, used at a much much lower price. I have purchased 2 machines from them. Excellent company.

As far as which machine do NOT purchase a Phillips dreamstation. Remember is machine will be used 8 hours a night for 365 days, for 5 to 7 years.

2 machines I would recommend ResMed s10 airsense autoset (Cpap) or ResMed s10 Aircurve VAUTO (bi-level )

Not just a ResMed s10 - that is like saying buy a Ford. Is that a mustang, Lincoln or F150 truck. All are fords but each is quite different.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airstart is the cheapest crappiest fixed pressure CPAP machine that does not produce data, and it is discontinued. You should change your DME because those charlatans and thieves are not to be trusted! I'm not kidding. Any DME that would offer that machine to a patient is in it for the profit, not for your benefit. Take your business elsewhere, and when you do, get the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for Her. Both are full-featured auto CPAPs that provide full data and have up to 3-cm of exhale pressure relief. The best CPAPs on the market.

So glad our Recommended Machines Wiki saved you from this grievous error! If you are paying out of pocket, Supplier #2 offer the Airsense 10 Autoset for $539., however overseas shipping will cost about $100 USD. Supplier #2 does warrant the machines shipped overseas. You might shop around and find an even better deal. Due to minimum advertised price restrictions by Resmed, you might be able to find coupons or get additional discounts by calling, rather than just checking out online. If you have insurance that will pay 80% of the cost, then that is probably your better option. Call your insurance company and get a list of in-network DME in your area.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi maxship!  -  Welcome
The AirStart was a failed product line by Resmed.  This model has been out of production since around 2017.  DO NOT accept one!  If you are looking for a CPAP, look to the Resmed AirSense 10, preferably the Autoset model.   There are 4 models in the AirSense model series, CPAP(basic), Elite(static pressure only), Autoset (variable pressure), and the Autoset for Her (variable pressure with an additional algorithm).  Again, you really want one of the Autoset models.  

Buying one overseas is very appealing for price, but remember that you will not have a warranty, if that is a concern.

Masks; Everyone is different and the wide range of available masks and styles is no exception.  Until recently, there were 3 basic styles of masks, Full Face Mask (FFM), Nasal masks, and Nasal Pillows.  Now there is a category named, "Hybrid", that employs the design of the Nasal or Pillow design for the nasal area combined with a mouth enclosure like the FFM.  If you tend to be a mouth breather, a full face mask (FFM) or hybrid should be higher on your consideration list.   However, there are elastic devices, called "Chin Straps",  that promote keeping your mouth closed if using a Nasal or Nasal Pillow style mask.  CPAP users seem to spend more time trying different masks than anything else.  Just when you find one you like, someone will come out with a new design that you will probably want to try. Also, the mask hose connection size is universal (22 mm), so you can use any mask from any manufacturer with your CPAP.

Good luck on your new journey!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the clarification and advice.
Definitely not going back to my DME.
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 11:24 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Once you get a machine from a supplier - you are on your own. It does not matter where you get your machine. You will get more help from the people on this site than months of going through supplier, Dr, supplier - back and forth.

Look on the suppliers list at the top of this site. Supplier #2 is low priced, you can buy new, open box, used at a much much lower price. I have purchased 2 machines from them.  Excellent company.

As far as which machine do NOT purchase a Phillips dreamstation. Remember is machine will be used 8 hours a night for 365 days, for 5 to 7 years.

2 machines I would recommend ResMed s10 airsense autoset (Cpap) or ResMed s10 Aircurve VAUTO (bi-level )

Not just a ResMed s10 - that is like saying buy a Ford.  Is that a mustang, Lincoln or F150 truck. All are fords but each is quite different.

Why not?

I have both a Resmed S9 Autoset and a Phillips Respironics Remstar Auto A-Flex System One 60 Series both on the same settings and have always had lower AHI results using the Phillips machine.

It was my intent to go with the Phillips Dreamstation Auto when the time comes to upgrade.....What is your reasoning for being so strongly against the Phillips Dreamstation?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a thread you can look at by clicking my name....  Short version, I had a dreamstation for 5 full years and struggled with it.  I had about 25+ events a night and came to this site for help about a year ago.  A number of people here helped me and got it down to about 15 a night.  Finally they told me it was about the best I could hope for and said that a ResMed would help.  I could not get my supplier to give me one although it had been almost 6 years with the phillips.  I bought my own.  Now my events are almost always less than 3 a night with many nights 0.  My pressures are stable and I have been feeling much better. 

If you like your phillips it is you health and your money but time and time again this year I see people helped with only a change in machine and that machine is a resmed either an airsense AUTOSET or like mine aircurve VAUTO.

I have attached my best that I had of the phillips therapy and last nights ResMed, you tell me which looks the best.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Without question PR machines work for some people.

I and many others here prefer the ResMed because in the process of coaching users here we see better therapeutic results from ResMed.  Why, 2 main reasons.

1. The algorithims are more effective in heading off and eliminating events.

2. ResMeds implementation of EPR allows it to act as a BiLevel with pressure support of 1,2,3.  Flex, PR's so called equivalent, is not.  This allows better treatment for flow limits, hypopnea, RERAs, UARS, and even snores. PR's only option is to increase pressure and hope it works.

We do work with and help tune PR machines, but for the above and more reasons we strongly prefer ResMed devices
Post Reply Post Reply
Mutineer. You might post your nights sleep (OSCAR) and see if there are suggestions on settings. Just because both of your machines have the same settings means they are optimized for that machine. Start your own thread and I see.
Post Reply Post Reply
No need I'm mostly always  in the 0.5 to 1.0  AHI range with the PR machine and I'm totally satisfied that I'm getting the optimum results for me.
Much better than the results I've ever been able to achieve with m Resmed machine.

I'm not exactly a newbie having been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea at the local hospital's sleep study centre where I had the total works and have been using CPAP for over 8 years starting first off with a PR Fixed pressure then upgraded to to the PR Auto several years later.

Basically from what I kept reading on this site after joining it influenced me to purchase a Resmed Autoset from USA Supplier #2 after that but from my personal experience the PR machine gives me the best results and I've done plenty of changing the ranges using this site for my info on the Resmed machine to no avail.....it still comes in under the  much vaunted 4.0 AHI a night using the Resmed Autoset but for my personal  treatment  the PR machine is the clear winner.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 171 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.