Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CA increase after stopping with drinking
RE: CA increase after stopping with drinking
As just an anecdotal comment to the original poster ... I've also noticed a correlation between my "activities" and increases in my Central Apena AHI. In my case, rigorous dieting (significantly reduced caloric, and presumably sugar, intake) and weight-loss medication (mounjaro) both seem to markedly increase my Central Apneas and periodic breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had the worst night with my CPAP so far last night. AHI was extremely high (38.08, of which 36.90 CA events). Woke up very tired, and according to my wife my parasomnia was extremely bad. OSCAR screenshots attached.

(05-27-2023, 01:47 PM)restless51 Wrote: As just an anecdotal comment to the original poster ... I've also noticed a correlation between my "activities" and increases in my Central Apena AHI.  In my case, rigorous dieting (significantly reduced caloric, and presumably sugar, intake) and weight-loss medication (mounjaro) both seem to markedly increase my Central Apneas and periodic breathing.

Very interesting to hear. Did the CA events eventually decrease or are you still experiencing them?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
With the usual cavet that I really don't know what I'm doing /saying ....

1. My impression is that the medical community thinks that Central Apenas are often a result of congestive heart failure.  As such, if there is any chance that your heart's ejection fraction is less than ideal, you might want to get an echo to rule that out (I did).

2. In my case, Centrals were typically reduced when I stopped the previously mentioned activitiy (e.g. dieting).

3. However, I did manage to signficantly reduce Centrals in two other ways:

a. I tried the EERS technique and found a -substantial- reduction with only one added section of hose, and with EPR increased to 3.  If all else fails, you might want to try modifying your equipment as suggested in the EERS wiki on this board.

b. To my surprise, I was able to convince my local ENT/Sleep doc to prescribe an ASV machine, without a specific sleep study diagnosis of Central Apneas > 5 or 10 ... and without an ASV titration study - both of which required by some of the other docs I spoke to.   After switching to ASV, it does appear that there are less Centrals occuring  ... actually, I don't think the Aircurve 10 ASV can even -report- a Central, so at least the numbers are reduced Smile

Good luck with your journey !
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 92 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 157 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,272 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 434 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 406 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,220 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question [CPAP] Can a chin strap increase your AHI? Kinnu 4 685 10-28-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.