Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ? Can using EPR kick up central events?
? Can using EPR kick up central events?
Last night I thought I try EPR to see if this helps avoid a bit of claustrophobia. I set it to Full and 2.

✅ It was more comfortable. 
❌ Central events jumped to 5.5, more than double my usual on CPAP. 
(My sleep study showed mostly OSA)

Are EPR and centrals related?
Do I need to forego the comfort of EPR because for sure I don’t want to kick up events?

Or, are these unlikely to be related? Since I’m still battling with leaks it’s possible that the events data is inaccurate. 

I’d love to hear your experience or general wisdom on EPR and Central events! Because I need to decide what to do tonight ?
Pam

ps Background on my CPAP use, in case helpful. Comment is in my post two days ago called OSCAR data (I’m too new to be able to link)[url=https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-OSCAR-data--40124?pid=475873#pid475873][/url]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ? Can using EPR kick up central events?
EPR does raise centrals but only because it is doing a better job of getting rid of the biproducts. Usually your body gets use to the therapy and the central apnea is less. But the main thing is how you feel. You can move the EPR down to one and see how that goes and move it up as you get use to the therapy. I would also note that centrals and very sporadic, meaning one night it might be high and the next night its it almost gone without any change in the settings. So one night does not tell if you will continue with higher centrals.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing I'll add is that using EPR does not always result in central apnea. It is something to be aware of should it occur and the the possible nead to react to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Really glad from your comments that I didn't immediately turn off EPR!

Instead, I grabbed my other mask -- nasal pillows rather than nasal mask -- since nasal pillows create less leak problems than the nasal mask for me.

Events returned to "normal" for these two nights (AHI = 2, almost all OSA), and I could keep the comfort of EPR.

I'll continue to keep an eye on this, but I am keeping EPR for now.

Thanks so much!
Pam
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR & CENTRAL APNEA
Increasing EPR did indeed have a substantial increase in my centrals.  Setting an EPR of zero produced my best results, and every increase in EPR (1,2,3) had a corresponding negative impact on my AHI, almost entirely due to centrals.  Comfort wise, I hate a zero EPR, so I take comfort in setting it to 1 even though there's a slight impact on AHI results (but I get longer sleep shifts).

Maybe I just had bad initial advice from my first DME, who got me quickly into a BiPAP to better my therapy, but significant EPR spreads for me just gave me years of CA related issues.

More isn't always better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,663 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,559 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 42 1,222 04-09-2024, 05:17 PM
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 189 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 193 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 109 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 108 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.