Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Choosing and working with a DME: A Beginner’s Dilemma
RE: Choosing and working with a DME: A Beginner’s Dilemma
There is no forum policy, other than you cannot use direct links to sellers. The problem with input on the many DME suppliers is that in a forum, it is very difficult to index reviews into a meaningful database of suppliers by location. There are many anecdotal stories of DME encounters, good and bad, but it is not a searchable category, and I don't know if that is a possibility.

Yelp and BBB are not ideal, but at least you get an idea of what is going on. I share your frustration that choosing a supplier in my area is anything but intuitive. I lost my preferred provider last year when they went out of business and so far, no one else comes close.

The best way to find out what a supplier is likely to do is ask, or better yet, tell them what you want. If you anticipate a prescription for CPAP, just take the direct approach and see if they will dispense your preferred machine on a CPAP prescription. Even more important is, when they call to make a pick-up or drop-off appointment, ask what machine is being supplied. If it isn't what you want, decline it and tell them what you want or you are shopping. It is possible to get a last-minute change in what is being dispensed as long as you don't just show up and expect to get what you hoped for.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider, for the specificity and clarity of your response - very useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2018, 06:03 PM)BostonPH Wrote: A few further Beginner's questions about strategies to select a local DME:

1. I notice that there seem to be few very user reviews of local DME suppliers. Is this a  forum policy or is it more a matter of the very large numbers of these businesses across the country and the likelihood that they change practices over time, etc... . . If there is a site on this forum that I've missed, please do let me know.

2. Are there sites other than YELP and BBB (not a whole lot of reviews at either, for Atlanta anyway) that are worth trying to find for reviews of user experiences?

3.  Is there any way to find out whether a local supplier carries particular machines (other than by visiting or calling each of them)?

Thanks!

1. There are a few discussions regarding DMEs, but I think that these are more like mentions within threads and not actual specific threads about them.

2. I'm not aware of there being any, but that doesn't mean they do not exist. I personally got my info here in discussions and what I found by the DME websites, calling, and visiting them.

3. Most also have the info on their websites. At least that is how I found my info.

PS: I personally got my best feedback while visiting my current DME, the infamous Apria.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2018, 04:36 PM)BostonPH Wrote: Choosing and working with a DME: A Beginner’s Dilemma
After 10 days of diligent online research, I’ve concluded that:
... they named (without great enthusiasm) is in my preferred network, and the Rx was sent to them as well (I am currently waiting to hear from them).    

(02-18-2018, 06:03 PM)BostonPH Wrote: A few further Beginner's questions about strategies to select a local DME:

3.  Is there any way to find out whether a local supplier carries particular machines (other than by visiting or calling each of them)?

<sigh> I share your pain, my brother! I have been fortunate to have had an extremely good experience the first time I was set up with a PAP -- in Royal Oak, MI; fairly good experience with all except the DME provider the second time -- here in metro Atlanta. Now I'm going through it again and it has been rocky (due to my changing health) and I'm impatiently waiting for the new DME provider (I won't mention the name of the infamous Avira that SarcasticDave94 refers to Oh-jeez ). So since you wonder if a supplier offers a particular machine, have you identified the one that you want? I expect that all of them, particularly ones in-network would have the choice machines, particularly the big-dollar ones.

Your first post left me with the idea that your doctor sent the script to your in-network choice 10 days ago and you haven't been contacted. If so, you need to pick provider #2: there is no reason for a supplier to delay more than two or three hours after receiving the FAX before calling you and getting your order. (They ought to be begging you for the order!) Fulfilling it is what usually takes a while. (That's when it's your turn to beg. Rolleyes )
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you've got it all right.

I would say not to wait for anyone to call you.  As soon as you got the Rx, you should be calling the DME.  

I chanced upon a comment on this board from someone who I noticed lived in my area, and his comment was about how great his DME was.  So I called that DME, told them I had an Rx, and asked how soon I could get a machine.  I had the machine and supplies 3 hours later.  I just had to give them a copy of my sleep study and a copy of my Rx.  (They could've gotten that from my sleep "doctor", but it was faster for me to just hand them to them.)

I've moved, and have since tried Yelp.  It seems that not a lot of CPAP users use Yelp.  So I have left detailed Yelp reviews for all DMEs I have experience with.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW on Apria as a DME, YMMV and greatly varied at that. And it depends on your local office. Mine has actually been above average during the obtaining an ASV machine segment, and supplies have been sent promptly thus far. Having said that, and after that initial lots o attention new customer treatment, it's cooled off some. I recently asked about oxygen concentrators and an overnight oxygen monitoring via emails to the RT, which have been ignored (or otherwise) as I have noted no responses. No I've not followed up, because I decided I'll likely shop elsewhere on this item in order to allow me more oxygen concentrator choices IF I do actually need one due to progression of COPD.

MMmmm Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Beginner's Questions: Anyone have  experience with "Advanced Home Care" DME Supplier in Atlanta or elsewhere in Southeast?

The recommendations that many have provided here in the last week (as well as in the Wiki overviews that were linked) have been very helpful. I have followed suggestions related to DME selection, including persistence in follow-up calls to the provider , gauging professionalism/responsiveness as best you can by calling or visiting office,  and asking directly and specifically about availability of a desired, new APAP device. I'll defer further comment on my experience until the initial process is completed.

In the meanwhile I wanted to ask if any of you who read this have had experience with a DME supplier called Advanced Home Care that is based in Charlotte and operates in the southeast (GA, NC, SC, VA, KY, TN and MD - website indicates that respiratory services are not available at some locations). It does not appear to me that they have operated under different name/s recently (an issue that seems common for a number of DME chains).  

I would be especially grateful to hear from anyone who has received services at either of the two AHC metro Atlanta offices. 

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
While I cannot help with the DME you mention, I see you're using the time wisely in taking some of our selected wiki readings. You already are armed with more knowledge than what I had when I started on the CPAP path in the Spring of 2015. Kudos, and best wishes on your DME ventures; stay sane down there in GA.

I'm sure there will be someone here that will have something for you on the DME in question.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do not get a response soon, you might consider starting a new thread to ask about that DME. People living in that region may not see the question within this thread -- but a new subject line may catch their attention.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes a new thread maybe with that DME and that location in the title should grab more attention. I'd try that if you don't see anything shortly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 189 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 148 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 473 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 958 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 228 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 431 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 225 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.