Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Cpap Masks Causing Nasal Dryness
Cpap Masks Causing Nasal Dryness
Why don't the manufacturers have to provide information on this?  I am wondering about the new AirFit N30i which is similar to the DreamWear with the air flowing directly into the nostrils.   When I called ResMed they just weaved and bobbed, not committing to anything.  I just remember anecdotal information that masks of this type dry out the nasal passages more than the regular nasal mask, but I don't know if it is true.  It certainly seems the airflow that is goes directly from the tube into the nasal passages would have a different effect on the nasal passages than an airflow that passes through a "well" first.  Does anyone have any information on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap Masks Causing Nasal Dryness
reading a whole lot of threads on this site over a couple years has made it clear that all things mask related vary person by person. the need for additional humidity varies by person, location and weather. personally I prefer the nasal pillows for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is that it's the only mask I've had seal reasonably well against facial hair. I also like the minimal footprint and weight. I love that it opens congested sinuses. contrary to your problem of dryness, I find I often have a runny nose the morning after. that's with passive humidification and 74F hose temp. the point is that it's tough to generalize when it comes to how we experience masks and air pressure. each of us has to try and try again until we find what works for us. you might be prone to dryness from air through nasal pillows and you might not. your tolerance is probably different than the next person's. btw, a common trade-off with nasal pillows is mouth and/or lip leaks and dry mouth. many of us have to take extra steps to control them. I use a soft cervical collar for that purpose and to reduce clusters of obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess what I am looking for is that thing called a scientific study that is set up to deal with all the variables and come to a conclusion about dryness. (Not very well articulated, but I think I got the right idea).  But, then cpap world is the wild, wild west.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are things you can do to offset nasal dryness. Many here use saline nasal sprays, nasal gels, and also lanolin creams.

Don’t know about scientific studies, but at least you’ve come to the right place where our collective experience will help set you on the right path.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, of course there are things you can do to help with dryness, but the question here is what is the contribution of the type of mask to nasal dryness.  Is it possible that no one has done a scientific study?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 4 92 34 minutes ago
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 249 7 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 226 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,743 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,678 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 519 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 201 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.