Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Desperate - Please Help
Desperate - Please Help
Hi Everyone. New to the Apnea Board Forum and new to CPAP. I'm so desperate to succeed with my CPAP, but I'm having a struggle. I've been using my devise for 30 days now and just can't seem to get it right. I've learned soooo much from this forum, but when I try to diagnose why I'm not getting a restful night's sleep I'm fail miserably. I can't make heads nor tails of the amazing data from Oscar, so I'm reaching out for help. I'm amazed at how many helpful and talented people there are on this forum and I'm hoping you can help me figure out what I need to do. I'm desperate. Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Desperate - Please Help
I’m certain that your minimum pressure is too low, but it’s hard to be more specific without seeing the waveform data.

Please read this, and note the section about organizing your data: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for helping me understand what data to share. See attached. I had to save as a pdf because it said my file was too large to attach. Hopefully I did it correctly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your remaining events with CPAP are mainly obstructive apnea. With a pressure range of 5.0 to 14.6 with EPR 3 the median pressure is 9.16. The fluctuation in pressure is disruptive to sleep, and you will feel better with a smaller range. I recommend you increase the minimum pressure to 9.0 and leave other settings the same. I think this should help with feeling more rested. You are also getting some leaks from your nasal mask. These are mostly low-level leaks but can also disrupt sleep. Are you aware of leaking from your mouth?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your advice, Sleeprider! I'll increase my pressure. Regarding the leaks, I'm aware of some leaking around the upper portion of my mask (bridge of nose area) at times. I was wondering as well if I was opening my mouth during sleep, for no other reason than I'm trying to find out why I'm so tired.  I did purchased a chinstrap, but the night I wore it, it lasted about 4 hours before I tore it off. Do you think I need to try it again? Thanks so much for your insights!
Post Reply Post Reply
At around 3:00, you have a 20 minute large leak. It is hard to imagine having a mask leak for that long and not waking up. Your snoring and flow limitations also seem to coincide with your leaks. Sleeprider asked about mouth breathing. I'm wondering the same thing. If you open your mouth or air is leaking out of your mouth, you might still avert an apnea, but there will be a reduced amount of air therapy. The machine will compensate for a lot of this, by ramping up the pressure, but it may not eliminate flow limitations which are "almost" an apnea since air flow is restricted.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't say about using a chin strap, since I've used a FFM since I started years ago. It would be interesting to see what your sleep study determined as far as mouth breathing. Unfortunately, if it was a home study, it might not provide that insight. Typically doctors will prescribe a 4-20 pressure range and hope for the best, rather than try to determine what is happening.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I was wondering as well if I was opening my mouth during sleep, for no other reason than I'm trying to find out why I'm so tired.  I did purchased a chinstrap, but the night I wore it, it lasted about 4 hours before I tore it off. Do you think I need to try it again?

Probably...I'm 3 months in on a nasal mask and still occasionally manage to leave my mouth open for 20 or 30 minutes in a night(Somehow I sleep through it, my wife does not Wink). It's a practice makes perfect kind of thing. (I have zero leaks probably 4 out of 7 nights). I tried the chin strap and that lasted about an hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
For chin straps, the only one I would recommend is the Knightsbridge Dual Chin Strap, which users have said is comfortable and pulls up instead of back. If you get a chance to try a nasal pillows mask, it will eliminate the possibility of mask leaks, but mouth leak would still be present. I have used the Resmed Airfit P10 since it was introduced, and used its predecessors before that. The P10 is very quiet and will not blow air on your or a bed partner. It is the lightest, quietest least disruptive mask I can imagine. You might want to consider it next time around The mask is sold with a fit-kit including all 3 sizes of nasal pillow, so for about $70 you really can't go wrong.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For mask leaks, some people find mask liners helpful. For mouth leaks, some people will use tape to keep their lips from parting, if that is the main problem. I use Somnifix, which is on the expensive side but is gentle on the skin and does the job.

It’s good you are identifying and addressing problems with the help of the people here. Progress can be slow as we work toward the feeling of restedness that we all crave. Patience must be your watchword, and you must continue to be ready to be a problem-solver. You truly will get there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 721 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Am I doing this right (OSCAR)? - Desperate and Need help Psperez27 5 496 10-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 649 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Treatment] Desperate for assistance. UARS and APAP vermilion48 3 665 09-11-2023, 11:37 PM
Last Post: jwest
  New Member desperate for help Mandrake 17 1,342 10-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mandrake
  Desperate need of help understanding results AM777 17 1,732 01-31-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AM777
  5 years on cpap, no improvement. getting desperate for some help. kc210 38 3,427 09-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.