Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do I really need CPAP?
Do I really need CPAP?
Diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.
Overweight and out of shape.
I'm on a regimen to lose weight and increase physical activity.
Would rather let that work than get on CPAP.
Concerned that I'll get acclimated to CPAP (like you do if you are on oxygen), and then if I lose the weight, I'll still be stuck to CPAP because my body has gotten used to it.
Do you have any wisdom on this to share?
I'd appreciate any insight or experience you can share.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I really need CPAP?
First you won't be addicted to CPAP. Well not anymore than you would be addicted to your toothbrush. If you can lose weight. If you can keep it off. Than maybe just maybe you have a small chance. But there are people that are thin that still have sleep apnea.

My advice is listen to your Doctor. If they say you should use CPAP than use it knowing you won't become addicted to it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

I started out with a diagnosis of severe sleep apnea unlike your post of diagnosed mild apnea. I lost around 100 lbs via bariatric surgery, and I still need xPap therapy. My understanding is weight loss may reduce your AHI; that's the number of apnea events per hour. Even though weight loss most likely would reduce the AHI, the majority of those diagnosed with apnea events may still need a CPAP machine.

In my case, weight loss cut my AHI from about 70 to about 35, effectively cutting it in half. I still needed a machine in the CPAP family to reduce the AHI to achieve treated levels of AHI of 5 or less. My specific device is an ASV machine, which is used to treat obstructive and central apnea combined.

Weight loss will never hurt any patient, but for many it's still not enough to avoid using a CPAP machine. Having said that, and since I don't know what your AHI is, you may lose weight and not need a CPAP. That determination would be between yourself and your doctor.

Best to you,
Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Somnaspire,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy isn't so bad once you get used to it and it is the best treatment for sleep apnea.
I wish you good luck on your decision.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You said your sleep apnea is mild but didn't state your actual AHI nor what type of events you are having.  Some of us are lucky and not overweight, yet we still have apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
The addiction that comes with using CPAP is not your body learning to rely on it but your addiction to feeling great and refreshed from what a good nights sleep feels like. I was resistant to CPAP at first but now I look forward to donning the mask because I know I will feel completely refreshed in the AM. People on CPAP therapy come in all shapes and sizes and the reasons for OSA are varied and diffuse over the population at large. Therefore, weight loss in and of itself may or may not help you depending upon what the root cause of your OSA is.

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The trouble with weight loss is that many people tend to gain it back over time. While it is a great idea to get fit and lose weight to healthy levels you may want to get a CPAP machine in the meantime to make sure you are getting good rests. It really isn't all that bad to sleep with and with the right kind of mask and settings combination the process can be very easy to adapt to and soothing. These days I fall asleep much easier and quicker than I ever did without CPAP. Not to mention wake up feeling much more refreshed.

As already mentioned, there is no danger of your body getting so used to the machine that you would be reliant on it physically even if you did get another sleep study and didn't have Sleep Apnea anymore. But don't just take our word for it, go ahead and ask your doctor.

All the best going forward and keep in mind we will be here to help you if and when you need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Poor sleep will also affect your ability to lose weight.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.